Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times

Advertisements

That is a great post.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 24,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Will your children be educated in public schools or private schools?

In regards to public schools, Florence County has five school districts.
We prefer public schools, unless the difference between the two types are vast in terms of education.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM

4 posts, read 24,887 times
Thank you all - your comments and links have been very helpful. I will be visiting Florence in the next couple of weeks, and will keep everything said in mind.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,031 times
Default Florence SC

I relocated to Florence in the late 90s for a job that was also in Hartsville. The neighborhood I moved to was on the south side of Florence. I feel there is a real estate scam there as the house I bought needed about $2k worth of fireplace work, it was repaired and when I sold the house nine months later, it needed the same $2k worth of fireplace work. The company I went to work for would only pay for my move if I bought a house in Florence first (not check out the area by renting)! That should tell you something. The public schools are awful (my 2nd grade daughter said to us that she didn't need to study because she read the books in 1st grade in Virginia) so we enrolled her in private school. My wife and I asked her what she did all day at the public school and she replied that the teacher let them dance. Although it looks like a bargain at first with a very low cost of living such is not the case. Factor in the mosquitoes and red bugs (the ones that crawl under your skin, not to be confused with red necks) and an unusually high incidence of cancer in my former neighborhood (coincidence?) and the "bargain" evaporates. On the bright side, the beach only a day trip and Charleston is neat to visit as well.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB731 View Post
The public schools are awful (
i was talking to a friend from high school last night, and a calculus teacher we had in our senior year at West Florence High came up. She won an international award from Texas Instruments for her work to enhance mathematics teaching and learning through application of technology in the classroom.

She also is one of 6 math teachers who helps write the AP Calculus exam, and she grades some of them every year as well.

Here is an article about her.

West Florence math teacher receives international leadership award | Local News | scnow.com

Old 08-05-2016, 03:16 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
I just moved from that area to Southern California, having moved to Florence myself for work.

It has some Pro's... Super Cheap to live there. Hardly any traffic.

Con's.. Its backwards/backwoods. Still lots of racism/sexism. People are lazy. BORING.... Not much to do at all.

If I were going to live in that area, I'd actually live in Hartsville, as that was far and away my favorite part of the area.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM

152 posts, read 351,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post

Con's.. Its backwards/backwoods. Still lots of racism/sexism. People are lazy. BORING.... Not much to do at all.
What utter garbage. From my experience race relations in SC are way better than in the northeast or midwest (can't speak for out west). I don't recall any race riots in SC, even after the Charleston church shooting by an actual racist (who is the extreme exception). More traditional, conservative areas are not for many, but to pull out the old racism/sexism stereotype cards (what, no homophobia?) is pathetic. As for lazy....the only thing lazy is your analysis.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 AM

235 posts, read 528,257 times
This website just gives raw information about Florence in a user friendly way.

Last edited by Yac; 12-14-2020 at 01:03 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 05:10 PM

308 posts, read 469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
What utter garbage. From my experience race relations in SC are way better than in the northeast or midwest (can't speak for out west). I don't recall any race riots in SC, even after the Charleston church shooting by an actual racist (who is the extreme exception). More traditional, conservative areas are not for many, but to pull out the old racism/sexism stereotype cards (what, no homophobia?) is pathetic. As for lazy....the only thing lazy is your analysis.
I completely agree that assessment of Florence is ridiculous and not what I see Florence as. I believe others would agree with me.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
To each their own, I guess.

I gave my opinion, which, interestingly enough, was something I discussed with many other people that not only grew up there, but also people that moved there from outside the area into professional type positions that can't/couldn't wait to get out. I worked in a building that employed over 600 people, and there was certainly a noticeable divide between the majority of the whites and blacks, and this is not something imagined.

In my 30's, as an adult I have lived in Ohio, North Carolina, Virginia, Texas, South Carolina, and now California, so, I am not someone who hasn't been other places. Out of those states, SC would rank 6th to me if I had a choice.

Funny you mentioned the homophobia, my wife and I, our best friends in the area because a lesbian couple that lived down the street from us. The stories they had about growing up and living there and dealing with the homophobia were quite interesting. They ended up moving to outside of Asheville and love it.

There are actually a couple of great things about living in that area, including the cost and lack of traffic, which I mentioned in my first post. I would caution anyone moving there (or anywhere, really) to do their research and do what is best for them.

Last edited by IonRedline08; 08-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina