Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 09:40 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,700,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yes? What are exactly are you trying to get at?
Because it easily explains shifting populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times
Its interesting to see the growth rates and net gains for Columbia and Greenville-Anderson. Both are growing at roughly the same rate (slightly higher % in Cola and slightly larger net gain in GVL) yet the rate they are building in Greenville is far outpacing Columbia. This sort of re-affirms my speculation that Greenville is in fact overbuilding.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Then wouldn't that be a big part of urban growth?
One would think, however I still see a problem if a northern transplants from a northern city move here then sell to I assume a rural northerner who in turn had to sell their house to who? A Mexican immigrant? Seems like a giant pyramid scheme. Wherever there's a net gain seems like there should be a net loss. We can't completely empty the countryside of people to meet these population projections. Somebody has to be farming.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,456,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You're right, I was thinking of the city population. I knew it halved from its peak. Apparently the city had 1.8M people in 1960, and is now at 713k. Either way that makes for a depressing environment.
But again, a lot of those people never really left "Detroit." They just hopped on the freeways that sliced up Detroit and moved 15-20 minutes to Novi, Troy, Potiac, and Auburn Hills, etc.

The whole point of Detroit is: it didn't only decline because people were tired of the north and ended up moving south. That's a factor, but the rapid decline of the city's biggest economic sectors, white flight to the suburbs, and very poor city management is what lead to 1.8 million to 700,000.

It may not immediately show on paper, but the city is recovering. A lot of those northern and midwestern cities are. Check out Buffalo.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Its interesting to see the growth rates and net gains for Columbia and Greenville-Anderson. Both are growing at roughly the same rate (slightly higher % in Cola and slightly larger net gain in GVL) yet the rate they are building in Greenville is far outpacing Columbia. This sort of re-affirms my speculation that Greenville is in fact overbuilding.
Greenville's not overbuilding. Having Laurens and Pickens in the MSA slow's the rate down. If Greenville was left alone it'd smoke everything.

Greenville's 5 year growth rate is 9% and 40,000 people, while Pickens was 2.1% and 2,000 people, and Laurens 0.1% and 100 people.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
One would think, however I still see a problem if a northern transplants from a northern city move here then sell to I assume a rural northerner who in turn had to sell their house to who? A Mexican immigrant? Seems like a giant pyramid scheme. Wherever there's a net gain seems like there should be a net loss. We can't completely empty the countryside of people to meet these population projections. Somebody has to be farming.
That's not what's happening. People are still moving to the North. Believe it or not, there is still someone who is actively searching for homes in Rochester, NY, who is not an immigrant.

Rural America is declining in the North, South, Midwest, and West. Times are changing, people want to live in Vegas, not Elko. There are still people who prefer that and will stay and farm or just live rural, but urban life is and has been taking over in the US.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 AM

South Carolina became majority urban in the 1980 census, before the "transplant craze" started. Transplants moving to the big 3 and the minors are fueling that, but it's more so native South Carolinians leaving the one-stoplight towns, and births.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,856 times
Quote:
Greenville's not overbuilding. Having Laurens and Pickens in the MSA slow's the rate down. If Greenville was left alone it'd smoke everything.

Greenville's 5 year growth rate is 9% and 40,000 people, while Pickens was 2.1% and 2,000 people, and Laurens 0.1% and 100 people.
I agree that Greenville itself is growing faster than the other counties in the MSA but we are measuring apples to apples because the Columbia MSA includes Calhoun, Saluda, Fairfield and Kershaw counties in addition to Lexington & Richland.

Maybe Columbia is under-building rather than Greenville overbuilding or maybe a bit of both but the building disparities between two MSAs that are growing at the same rate raises some red flags for me.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I agree that Greenville itself is growing faster than the other counties in the MSA but we are measuring apples to apples because the Columbia MSA includes Calhoun, Saluda, Fairfield and Kershaw counties in addition to Lexington & Richland.

Maybe Columbia is under-building rather than Greenville overbuilding or maybe a bit of both but the building disparities between two MSAs that are growing at the same rate raises some red flags for me.
Richland and Lexington are pretty large and substantially larger than all of those. Have to factor in Anderson too. Pickens, Laurens, and especially Anderson are larger than all of those other than the main two. Kershaw's starting to benefit from Columbia's sprawl though.

I don't think Greenville is overbuilding at all. You also have to keep in mind where Greenville is, both on the 85 corridor and as the hub to the Upstate, which is 1.4 million people, and how frighteningly fast the county itself is growing.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,956,263 times
Quote:
That's not what's happening. People are still moving to the North. Believe it or not, there is still someone who is actively searching for homes in Rochester, NY, who is not an immigrant.

Rural America is declining in the North, South, Midwest, and West. Times are changing, people want to live in Vegas, not Elko. There are still people who prefer that and will stay and farm or just live rural, but urban life is and has been taking over in the US.
Then is there an explaination as to why the last census reduced congressional seats in the north while gaining in the south? Perhaps northern cites are gaining rural workers, but on the whole the entire region seems to be shrinking. I'm just pointing out there are only so many rural workers available to make all cities perpetually gain in growth while making up for declining birth rates.

Apparently Mexican immigration is falling as well: More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. | Pew Research Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina