Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 02:48 PM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times

Advertisements

Games are unpredictable indeed. Players, over a series of appearances, can be predictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 05:08 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
As noted by the ACC performance in the postseason, the conference was very weak this year. FSU, NCS, and Clemson all losing as #1 seeds. The ACC as a whole went 13-9 with 6 teams playing in the first round.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:17 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
SEC had no. 1 seeds lose. UGA to Duke, and Ole Miss. They were both national seeds. Florida didn't look that impressive. I think FSU was only national ACC seed that lost.

LSU lost 12-0 to Oregon State, and LSU was in the SEC title game.

Clemson won 2 out of 3 against SC. You are saying your team lost a series to a weak team. SC lost to PC, College of Charleston, etc.

SC was able to play the 4 seed in their region to win it.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-05-2018 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM

935 posts, read 1,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
It is weird SC people are talking trash about Clemson given Clemson has dominated SC in football and baseball the past few years.

What has West Virginia done in football since that bowl game. Clemson has beat LSU, Ohio State twice, Oklahoma twice, and Alabama in bowls since then, not to mention a national title.
Call it weird but I was just referring to the announcers story about the orange bowl and WVa scoring 70 and then this game and Vandy scoring 15 or whatever, thats all. I can say this: I am a Carolina fan and for me, I root for two teams - Carolina and whoever plays against Clemmy. Come football season, I'll likely catch a little hell from upstate. So what. I think it has a little to do with the conferences also; hard to win 47 in the SEC.

The key to college baseball and winning the world series in Omaha is simply the team that gets the hot hand. Baseball is all about getting the breaks at the key times.

Arky is gonna be tuff and we will need a little break to get outta there.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Come football season, I'll likely catch a little hell from upstate. So what. I think it has a little to do with the conferences also; hard to win 47 in the SEC.
A lot of people don't seem to know this, but Clemson has students and grads from all over the state and all over the country. Wando High School in Mt Pleasant is typically the most represented high school at Clemson.

It makes me laugh when people make it out as an upstate community college.

I don't think SEC was significantly better than ACC this year. I think Miami and G Tech were a little down this year. I think there is SEC bias for both football and baseball. It seems like if a SEC team loses to Alabama in football, it moves up in the polls.

SC had a lot of losses outside of the SEC so talking about the SEC being good really doesn't explain the OOC losses.

I don't root against SC in sports. If SC was playing Alabama in football, I'd rather SC win it. I like seeing upsets.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 06-05-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,027,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I don,t normally watch anything orange and purple but since Carolina was in rain delay, it was the only thing on. The 'Dores handling of clem's son reminded the announcing crew of the 70pt pummeling from WVa in the orange bowl a few years back and rightfully so. THAT was funny, to bring that up.

just the same, I'm not a fan of Vandy either as the coach is ex-clemmy coach, but we are SEC STRONG.

What was funny is that's all that crew could come up with. Have they been asleep the last five years? I guess Dabo and crew have done a little better. They should have been pondering whether the gamecocks will cross midfield in football this year against Clemson. 70-33 would have looked tame if Clemson had not put the reserves in at halftime the last time they played at Clemson. LOL

Last edited by vistatiger; 06-05-2018 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM

Clemson was the only college to get to playoffs in football, sweet 16 in basketball, and make the baseball tournament this year.

I think Deshaun Watson has done for Clemson what Michael Jordan did for UNC as far as future recruiting goes, especially if Watson continues to have success in the NFL.

Winning the football title got Clemson a lot exposure nationally and Clemson is able to capitalize on it better than it did back in 1981 when it won its first football title. Clemson has one of the best college social media marketing groups, and the dorms, facilities, and Clemson restaurant scene have all improved since the 80s.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:28 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
CJ Spiller is the one who should be credited with opening the recruiting gates for Clemson- as well as landing Dabo the HC job.

For whatever reason Clemson baseball is where Clemson football was through the early 2010s- close but not able to deliver their better performances in big games. I also think Vandy simply had Clemson's number. Sometimes its not about quality but the matchup and they certainly proved that. The big question is if Lee can crack the code in terms of coaching, mindset or preparation. As odd as it sounds- I think playing at home might have been a detriment. Instead of relaxing the players I think they just lacked some focus. I also wonder if not being seeded top 8 was a little bit of a distraction.

I was joking with a former coworker yesterday that it took Dabo about 7 years to break through, Brownell took 8, so Lee will probably need 6 or 9. He's been pretty good in season and is the conference tournament so its really just true post season that is a size too large at the moment.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:53 AM

Yea sure, it woulda been true and all, but this was a clemmy/vandy game - UniversityofSouthCarolina had NOTHING to do with the subject matter.

and the five years before that, 'theoleballcoach' took HIS foot off the gas and kept it respectable. He knew that we've got to face this bunch every year in all sports and instate is pretty intense, and these actions DO affect recruiting and the university. Even after all this winning, yall are so defensive about things. These announcers don't realize the intensity of this rivalry, it's not really a blip on the map (in the college football world) outside the state.

and I'm done, thank you for yer time ...

Old 06-06-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
What was funny is that's all that crew could come up with. Have they been asleep the last five years? I guess Dabo and crew have done a little better. They should have been pondering whether the gamecocks will cross midfield in football this year against Clemson. 70-33 would have looked tame if Clemson had not put the reserves in at halftime the last time they played at Clemson. LOL

Yea sure, it woulda been true and all, but this was a clemmy/vandy game - UniversityofSouthCarolina had NOTHING to do with the subject matter.

and the five years before that, 'theoleballcoach' took HIS foot off the gas and kept it respectable. He knew that we've got to face this bunch every year in all sports and instate is pretty intense, and these actions DO affect recruiting and the university. Even after all this winning, yall are so defensive about things. These announcers don't realize the intensity of this rivalry, it's not really a blip on the map (in the college football world) outside the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina