Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 05:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina

you guys don't seem to be from one of the worst states in America, I don't see a huge amount of complaining here, my mom recently moved out there, even. Yet if you check rankings, SC consistently ranks one of the worst states in America. Crime at a whopping #46, education at #44, health care at #34, infrastructure at #36 opportunity at #38 This is not a recent development in statistics either, but rather a trend that has existed for several years now, at least going back to 2019. The stats and the average perception (the view of those who live there, and those who don't) of SC don't match at all. whats up with that?

Rednecks who don't value education are a dime a dozen. Not in Greenville or Charleston, but in the rest of the state. That's the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 09:26 PM

1,290 posts, read 783,300 times
Both Greenville and Charleston have schools with some of the lowest scores in the state, lower than most rural schools.

I know a lot of transplants from blue states and they seem happy here. They are not complaining.

I looked at the criteria for healthcare and they don't appear to be evaluating the qualifications of our physicians and other medical employees. It is misleading. Some people not having insurance or being obese doesn't tell you anything about our healthcare system. I would think most transplants would have a job lined up that offered decent insurance coverage. If a person doesn't have insurance in SC, they are not likely to have it another state. If somebody is obese in SC, it is not likely they lose weight if they move to another state. There's no correlation to the state.

The article about South Carolina states "South Carolina's tourism industry has blossomed in recent years, with Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach all considered top East Coast vacation towns". I think Charleston, HH and MB's tourism industry has been established longer than a few years. They have beaches. It feels like they have a college intern writing this stuff.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 06-15-2021 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 06:19 AM

396 posts, read 417,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
They have beaches. It feels like they have a college intern writing this stuff.
Most likely, you are correct. Remember, US News went from being a semi-legitimate print publication to an online only shell of its former shelf, joining the ranks of other poorly written, intern-driven drivel such as Buzzfeed, Vox, Business Insider, etc. I put zero faith into any online article (or any article) written about a "poll", as a poll isn't news anyway.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:49 AM

1,124 posts, read 925,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Rednecks who don't value education are a dime a dozen. Not in Greenville or Charleston, but in the rest of the state. That's the problem.
The best overall counties with schools are York, Lexington, and Charleston and I’m sure Greenville isn’t far behind. But Lexington being up there disproves that redneck theory.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:07 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
The best overall counties with schools are York, Lexington, and Charleston and I’m sure Greenville isn’t far behind. But Lexington being up there disproves that redneck theory.

I'll adjust my statement then:

Suburban areas that are in metropolitan areas are fine; it's the rest of the state (with some exceptions) where rednecks are a dime a dozen. The suburbs of Greenville, Columbia, Charleston and Charlotte all have non-redneck populations.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:19 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Both Greenville and Charleston have schools with some of the lowest scores in the state, lower than most rural schools.

I know a lot of transplants from blue states and they seem happy here. They are not complaining.

I looked at the criteria for healthcare and they don't appear to be evaluating the qualifications of our physicians and other medical employees. It is misleading. Some people not having insurance or being obese doesn't tell you anything about our healthcare system. I would think most transplants would have a job lined up that offered decent insurance coverage. If a person doesn't have insurance in SC, they are not likely to have it another state. If somebody is obese in SC, it is not likely they lose weight if they move to another state. There's no correlation to the state.

The article about South Carolina states "South Carolina's tourism industry has blossomed in recent years, with Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach all considered top East Coast vacation towns". I think Charleston, HH and MB's tourism industry has been established longer than a few years. They have beaches. It feels like they have a college intern writing this stuff.
Boy, this writing style sure has a familiar ring to it.

Old 06-18-2021, 06:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
It depends on what criteria we're using. ACT / SAT test scores? Ready to Work (WIN Testing) scores? EOCT scores?

Also, and this is not a knock (although it probably is) on the schools and or communities I'm about to mention but when you say York County there is a big difference between Fort Mill / Nation Ford / Catawba Ridge and Rock Hill / South Pointe / Northwestern schools in York County.

Also, Charleston as a whole can't be completely carried by Wando and Academic Magnet. Burke, St. Johns, Baptist Hill, North Charleston, RB Stall are all notoriously low performing / rough schools in the CCSD. James Island is not bad, West Ashley HS is ok but CCSD across the board is being held back by those previously mentioned schools.

Lexington is a county with many diverse socioeconomic communities. It would be difficult to lump River Bluff HS in with Swansea HS academically even though they both reside in the same county. For example Lexington HS River Bluff, Chapin and Dutch Fork all averaged over a 21 on their ACT test scores back in 2019. Brookland Cayce HS (16.7) and Swansea HS (15.6) are not in the same boat as those already mentioned four high schools.

Lexington County ACT Test Scores (Class of 2020)

Lexington 21.5
River Bluff 21.1
Dutch Fork 21.4
Chapin 21.4
Batesburg - Leesville 19.2
South Carolina 18.4
White Knoll 17.8
Airport 17.8
Irmo 17.6
Brookland Cayce 16.7
Pelion 16.4
Swansea 15.6

York County ACT Test Scores (Class of 2020)

Fort Mill 23.4
Nation Ford 22.5
Clover 20.9
South Carolina 18.4
Rock Hill 17.5
York 17.5
Northwestern 16.9
South Pointe 16.3

Old 06-21-2021, 06:45 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,033 times
I don't know if this has changed in recent years, but in the past it was misleading to look at average scores of elective tests, because in some higher-performing schools, a lot more people take these tests, (so their score average more closely reflected the true average student) while in some lower-performing schools, only the very best students take the tests (and so their scores looked higher because the score average reflected the top ~10% of students)

Old 06-22-2021, 09:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
This would be hilarious if you weren't serious.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:04 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
The states were ranked on performance in higher education as well as primary and secondary schooling and pre-K education. The measures included percentages of adults with associate degrees or higher, the rates of students completing public four-year and two-year college programs within 150% of the normal time, the average tuition and fees for in-state students at public institutions and the average debt load of graduates from public and private colleges. The states also were ranked on percentages of children enrolled in preschool and compared in national testing of eighth-graders in math and reading, in rates of graduation from high school and readiness for college.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina