Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 03:46 PM

383 posts, read 384,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Sigh...It's Jandrew. And look, I'm not trying to argue with you either. As I already said, I assumed that they were looking for a regular Coligny, Tybee, IOP type beach, which is why I was adamant on southern Beaufort and Jasper. If Hunting interests them, then great!

And no I'm not just looking at a map. Everything you typed about sb/nb, I know already. I've spent plenty of time in HHI, Bluffton, and yes even Beaufort, and not simply for vacation. It hasnt been years and years like youre probably assuming, I was just in Beaufort 8 months ago. Like literally the town of Beafuort. I'm not as old as you think I am either.

I've gone to the riverfront festival in Beaufort. Eaten there plenty of times. I even remember when Beaufort had a Best Buy. I've been up and down both 21 and 278. Beaufort is also where my grandparents are buried, and I can picture the Broad River bridge with my eyes closed. It is not "vague recollection."

That said, never did ever say I was a Beaufort expert or that they should avoid Beaufort at all costs. The most I said about Beaufort was to look at Laurel Bay and Lobeco - which is only because OP said more rural, and that Beaufort is far from the HHI beaches. 3 people have told the OP that Hunting exists and is nearby, they know. My wording on Hunting was wrong, I admit that.

Seems like you think my agenda was to disrespect Beaufort/northern Beaufort County...there was no disrespect given. Yes I prefer the south end over the north end, but my feelings is moot. I just looked at OPs criteria. Hence why I suggested Jasper Co, - a place I personally have 0 interest ever living in.
It's all good. We all have our preferences and reasons for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 10:36 AM

2,897 posts, read 992,281 times
St. Helena Island would be my answer. More rural but very close to Beaufort. Just 5 miles east of Beaufort, actually. And you're only minutes from Hunting Island, Fort Fremont Land's End Beach, Coffin Point Beach (which isn't the greatest for swimming, but I've done it. You just need to be careful of the oyster shells.) St. Helena property is less expensive than what you might find in Beaufort, and you can find actual acreage for gardening, etc.

St. Helena Island does have convenience stores, restaurants, a library, post office, etc.
Penn Center is the historic place where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would spend a lot of time and where he wrote part of his "I Have a Dream" speech. There's a lot of history there.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:30 AM

12,903 posts, read 18,756,320 times
Is Frogmore included in your idea of St. Helena Island? I street-viewed it and found charm. Before your post I didn’t zoom in because the area was shaded green and I figured that pretty much meant marsh.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:44 PM

2,897 posts, read 992,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Is Frogmore included in your idea of St. Helena Island? I street-viewed it and found charm. Before your post I didn’t zoom in because the area was shaded green and I figured that pretty much meant marsh.
Frogmore is part of St. Helena, I believe, yes. I'm pretty sure it's the area in which Penn Center is located, but don't quote me on that. I'm not 100% certain as to where the boundaries of "Frogmore" are.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
Frogmore is part of St. Helena, I believe, yes. I'm pretty sure it's the area in which Penn Center is located, but don't quote me on that. I'm not 100% certain as to where the boundaries of "Frogmore" are.
Frogmore is only a spot on the map. It is not a clearly defined area.

I agree with St Helena. I'm preferential to Lady's Island, but only by personal choice.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:25 AM

This article says Frogmore is an unincorporated community and calls it the commercial center of St. Helena Island. I knew it looked defined and charming when I saw it labeled on the map and zoomed in. I can find charm in most commercial centers regardless of how small.

https://www.eatstayplaybeaufort.com/...helena-island/

Old 08-25-2021, 10:18 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
This article says Frogmore is an unincorporated community and calls it the commercial center of St. Helena Island. I knew it looked defined and charming when I saw it labeled on the map and zoomed in. I can find charm in most commercial centers regardless of how small.

https://www.eatstayplaybeaufort.com/...helena-island/
Have you ever been there, besides a Google Maps search? I'm amazed at the effort you will put into contradicting whatever I post.

Frogmore is just that. A spot on the map. Undefined by boundaries or markings. If you drive through it, you'll never know. But you can't get that from a Google Map search.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Have you ever been there, besides a Google Maps search? I'm amazed at the effort you will put into contradicting whatever I post.

Frogmore is just that. A spot on the map. Undefined by boundaries or markings. If you drive through it, you'll never know. But you can't get that from a Google Map search.
You appreciate the aesthetics or not from what you see on a Google Maps search and I’ll do the same. There is definitely a reason that’s clear to see why the article I linked to would refer to it as the commercial center of St. Helena Island, including its buildings’ relationship to the street. It has charm. It seems you contradict what I say.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:05 AM

And I just street-viewed it again. It is a place that I would never just pass through without an appreciation for its presence and charm. Like I said, no matter how small. It is a little charmer, and I’m glad I have that level of appreciation for places. It is a place, unincorporated, but a place nonetheless.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:23 AM

Next I street-viewed the highway that runs through Frogmore on either side of the community just a little ways out. No comparison. Frogmore has a presence all its own. Maybe one has to have grown up in a town of 700 people to see it, whether in person or on Google Maps Street View. They even have a couple of paver pedestrian crosswalks and walk/don’t walk lights. Good for Frogmore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina