Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 PM

5 posts, read 16,627 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, my husband recently accepted a job offer in Mount Pleasant and now we need to figure out the best place to live. We are looking for a <40 minute commute, great schools and a home in a great community with many youngish professionals with families. If this helps we are looking to spend no more than 175 and are looking for a single family home. In short, where would you tell your best friend to move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 PM

207 posts, read 1,004,092 times
I think Summerville is your best bet, but the commute runs 45 min to an hour. Mount Pleasant is great but is very expensive and $175K won't get you much there. When we searched for houses in the area and knew we couldn't do Mt P (at least not for a decent house), we were pretty set on moving to Summerville (versus any of the other Charleston suburbs.) Its a beautiful town, that is growing but still has somewhat of a small town feel. There are a lot of young couples and young families here and a lot of neighborhoods developed for that. Dorchester 2 is the best of the 3 school districts in the area.

I personally am not a huge fan of Goose Creek, but I know there are others who live there and love it. Friends of ours bought a house there (because it was closer to Charleston) and they are anxiously waiting to move. Again, I know that there are some people who really like Goose Creek...

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,432,672 times
Sorry 175K won't get you a home in Mount Pleasant. It will get you a 1 or 2 (or a few 3) bedroom condo/town home. Also, you can get a 3 bedroom duplex in Park West or Dunes West. They are great family neighborhoods. To buy a SFH in Mount Pleasant you'll need to spend 220,000 ( older home) to about 250,000 to get in a more desirable newer neighborhood.
Summerville is also a great town..but your paying less because it is further from beaches and downtown ( a good 45 minutes). Schools are great and you can find a newer home for around 180-200K.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM

194 posts, read 645,818 times
Look in West Ashley. I live in West Ashley and drive to Mt Pleasant for work and its only about a 25 minute drive!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 PM

36 posts, read 86,736 times
Default W. Ashley

I second that. West Ashley is very nice. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina