Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 08:23 PM

8 posts, read 18,090 times

Advertisements

Good day fellow blogger's and fellow re-locator's
My husband and I currently live in Pembroke Pines, Florida about close to Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. We've begun to investigate other less congested, family friendly states to live in, and I have set my eyes on South Carolina. Trying to do legwork from far away is difficult and rely on much of what I can get my hands on, online. Our future idyllic life would look something like this: 3-5 acres of land, private but not creepy-scary, horses ok(for future), maybe a creek or lake on or bordering the property, low taxes, low-low-crime, friendly and diverse people, scenic, and peaceful. We've been looking at vacant lots online all over the state, and every one seems to offer unique and disitinct qualities. I would be so indebted to anyone out there who has already gone the NY-Miami -Somehwere in South Carolina route for their experiences and advice. The areas I've seen are around the Charleston area, like Reevesville, Moncks Corner, Jamestown, Pineville and Cross. I began investigating Greenville, but am open to any and all suggestions. I would like to find something while the land values are still just that, not overpriced and out of reach. Also.......if anyone has purchased "raw Land" and can offer some tips on things like getting water, sewerage, I would be very appreciative!
Have a great one!
NYNitestars (Brooklyn-Long Island-Miami -?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,746 times
One area I've really begun to appreciate is Lee County, like the strip of 15 that runs between Bishopville & Sumter. The lay of the land over there is really nice and I think all the bodies of water over there is what makes the yards look so nice. It's quiet and out of the way, but Sumter is just 15-20 minutes away, Florence is 30'ish minutes away, and Columbia is 30'ish minutes away. Lake Ashwood is right there for activities, and there are even subdivisions like Emerald Lake with waterfront access (though that's after you've crossed into Sumter Co).

Old 08-31-2008, 12:06 PM

239 posts, read 701,982 times
aiken in the county has pretty inexpensive land in the right areas meaning stay away from the horse areas the land there is double even triple the price...also there are a lot of folks from up your way here...shoot we even have decent deli food and pizza now...somthing that is mighty hard to find down here. schools are better than average and the crime is low... 2 hours to the coast 2 hours to the moutains ....golf and fishing aplenty....

Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 AM

61 posts, read 267,893 times
Default Horse Property

Go to Aiken SC. I have a place in a Subdivision and there are arenas, trails and all sorts of amenities. Lots of people developing. I built but can't move due to health reasons. Not cheap but much cheaper than FL. About half of what you would pay in FL. I am stuck in FL at this point and have to sell.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
We bought raw land in Travelers Rest, about 15 miles north of Greenville. I find the area unique in that the land is affordable within a reasonable commute of a city. Our area surprisingly has city water. It cost about $1400 to tap into the main, plus another $2 a foot to run the pipe, so we'll have about $2K in it. Most rural areas will have to have a septic system- do NOT buy land that hasn't passed a perc test!! There are several large beautiful lakes in the upstate area. Be very careful to research the land you are looking at for flood zones and other possible problems.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:06 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
We bought raw land in Travelers Rest, about 15 miles north of Greenville. I find the area unique in that the land is affordable within a reasonable commute of a city...
Many people from places far away would likely be surprised to learn that the northern Greenville area is home to and surrounded by several beautiful luxury golf communities with courses designed by some of the best names in the sport. The list of masters includes Jack Nicklaus, Tom Fazio, Gary Player, Ben Wright, Tom Jackson, and now, Tiger Woods.

I would highly recommend checking into the northern Pickens County and northern Greenville County area, from the North Carolina border, down to the cities of Pickens and Travelers Rest.

Additionally, I highly recommend the northern Anderson County area, near Stoneridge Equestrian Center on Melton Road. You will find lots of larger acreage commonly used for homesteading in that area.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 AM

8 posts, read 18,090 times
Thanks! You've given me tons of leads to follow, and I appreciate each and every one, very friendly and kind of you all, have a great day!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM

239 posts, read 701,982 times
this may help....www.aiken.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina