Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
^^ out of curiousity; as you've lived in areas south when a winter storm means ice and not snow; as well as up in the midwest where for us we can get ice but it's "rare", but the snow can add up quickly, with the drifting making it even worse.
My opinion, after a recent ice storm here that caused dozens of roll overs in the stretch between Madison and the Dells--i'd prefer to drive in snow. Seems to give one a better feel for the road beneath and you can get some form of traction if driven properly. Ice?? not much you can do once you hit a patch. But in a warmer climate, the ice will melt soon enough. The snow up here can stay for months.

your thoughts?
thx
Ice storms are definitely the worst that we see in SC. Snow will cause a panic, but ultimately it's the ice storms that knock out your phone line for 2 days, power for 4, and cable for 9. That was my experience a few years ago. The roads had about an inch or a little more of a solid ice sheet. But it melts within a reasonable amount of time and utility companies from across the Southeast come to aid in the restoration.

Though people are saying that the mountains receive the most snow, I feel that I should clarify that this snow is very minimal. It only snows in SC about 4 times at most a season and averages probably 2 times yearly, I'd say. The mountains will simply receive an extra two inches, while other areas receive 3 at most...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Extreme weather? I've never thought of SC as having extreme weather. There are about 3 months when it is hot and humid most of the time, but there are often afternoon and evening showers that cool it off and everything is air conditioned. There are occasionally winter storms, but they are rare and it is unusual that they are extreme in any parts of the state. The coast does sometimes receive hurricane conditions, but they are not common and severe hurricanes only hit our state about every 20 years on average. I hope that helps.
I never considered SC to have extreme weather, least in my part of the state, however......I've changed my mind.

17 degrees Thursday morning to 60 degrees on Friday afternoon? That's an extreme. I'm really getting sick this year because of the extreme swings in temps. Very cold, overcast, rainy (yes and some snow) winter this year.
I've turned my heat on much more this year then previously.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
SC is in the "subtropics" (Koppen Scale).

So is all of MD and 1/2 of NJ.

It (SC) is the northernmost part of the US that is in what climatologists call "The Zone of Warmth". A natural consequence of this is variable weather.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:12 PM

149 posts, read 762,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
SC encompasses at least two (maybe 3) climate zones, so that's an awful general question.
I think SC is all in one climate zone (humid subtropical) but it does encompass 2 hardiness zones (7 & 8), since temps are more likely to get lower in the northern halfof the state and be milder near the ocean.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I never considered SC to have extreme weather, least in my part of the state, however......I've changed my mind.

17 degrees Thursday morning to 60 degrees on Friday afternoon? That's an extreme. I'm really getting sick this year because of the extreme swings in temps. Very cold, overcast, rainy (yes and some snow) winter this year.
I've turned my heat on much more this year then previously.
Yes, but it's more extreme when you throw the heavier precipitation in that. Not very far up north they are having an ice storm while we are just expecting some rain. Next month, next year, whenever, it could be us but we'll get back in the swing of things quicker than they can up north; that is what I like about our weather here.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:30 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,217 times
Having lived in the Upstate, the Midlands, and the Lowcountry of SC over the past 23 years, I can share this: the Upstate and Midlands offer more seasons than the Lowcountry. Ice and snow are not unheard of in the Upstate and parts of the Midlands/PeeDee area. Generally, winters are mild compared to the NE or midwest - I grew up in Kentucky and the winters are worse there. Summer showers are very common - esp. in the Midlands and Lowcountry. Makes it muggy but helps the vegetation grow. You can plant a small tree or shrub in the Lowcountry and it can reach prehistoric size in no time. I half expect a dinosaur to emerge from the palms and shrubbery in my yard any day now. Think "The Land before Time".

Old 01-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasape View Post
I think SC is all in one climate zone (humid subtropical) but it does encompass 2 hardiness zones (7 & 8), since temps are more likely to get lower in the northern halfof the state and be milder near the ocean.

Depends upon whose scheme you use. For Koppen, it is all Humid Subtropical (coldest month's average temp > 32F). However, other climate divisions place the Upcounrty in the Humid Continental, and even further divided-out the thin Blue Ridge strip into the Upland climate type.

Last edited by Geechie North; 01-28-2009 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,412 times
Down here, we worry about whether or not it gets cold enough, in a long enough stretch, to kill off the bugs for next summer. Usually, 9outta10, it doesn't.

Down here, it's hard to grow a garden for the inconsistent rain. Drought conditions thru growing season, then 12" in the last six weeks of the year to reach 'normal' yearly rainfall.

Last edited by burr; 01-29-2009 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: added rainfall

Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
How about the heat? When does it start and how long does it last? Do you get breaks in between or when it starts, it goes for the duration of the summer?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM

Summer temps average 81F (average high-average low/2) for Charleston. That's June-August.
A bit higher averages inland, away from the fabled "Seabreeze".

Humidity makes it feel a bit warmer.

The "breaks" you get are not measured in days, but in hours.

Pre GW, you could count on an afternoon T'Storm to lower the temps/humidity 3, 4 days per week.

Now that "Desert Southeast" conditions have become more common, the weather is less predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina