Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,825 times

Advertisements

One may check the data .I BELIEVE that obesity is our largest killer .So should we for the better good of all make laws to restict consumption of certain products ? I think not .Uncle Sam should learn to not over step His bounderies. Remember if smoking is allowed in the restraunt or other privetly owed area You do not have to go there. If it is a problem with the owners profits HE/SHE will decide what is best for bussines.One may choose to provied both areas for the customers . All people have rights on either side, maybe it would be best to require both ? Just an objective view
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:59 AM

119 posts, read 344,797 times
I agreed, I have a friend who works at a Bingo hall and they have lost a lot of business since the ban in Columbia, even though it is owned b a certain person, they have no say in whether people can smoke in there, but yet private bars can allow smoking. Not sure I understand.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:55 AM

56 posts, read 181,159 times
Maybe smokers should do like the pot smokers do .
Keep it private and out of sight and most importantly smell of others.

This is just my suggestion and means nothing.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 AM

I'm sure if smoking was illegal people would feel the need to hide it, but since tobacco doesn't get you high I hope that will never happen.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:24 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Obese people's food doesn't fall into my mouth.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:33 PM

There are MANY people who feel this strongly about dangerous exhaust from vehicles and having to breathe it in, but I doubt the government will ever make them illegal.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:09 PM

13 posts, read 20,049 times
Default Smokers

Some of you sound like real a-holes, smokers aren't the devil, nobody ever complains about drinking??? My father has been overdrinking his whole life...

Old 03-03-2012, 12:00 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I answered my own question.

According to the SC State Legislature site,

H 3795 General Bill was introduced and passed on 04/26/06 Yeas-55 Nays-52

A BILL TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 44-95-25 SO AS TO PROHIBIT SMOKING IN A RESTAURANT AND TO PROVIDE A PENALTY FOR VIOLATION.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Chapter 95, Title 44 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"Section 44-95-25. (A) It is unlawful for a person to smoke or possess lighted smoking material in any form in a restaurant.

(B) A person violating subsection (A) is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than fifty nor more than seventy-five dollars."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Looks like it awaits the Govenors signature.

Keith

Note the date (2006) of that Bill ... Governor Sanford never signed the Bill. Gov Sanford felt it was up to the individual business owners to decide if they wanted a smoking or non-smoking establishment.

On March 31, 2008, the South Carolina Supreme Court unanimously ruled that local governments have the right to enact and enforce smoke free laws. They also ruled that the maximum fine a city or town constitutionally can impose for breaking a local smoking ban is $25.

So it's up to SC city and county local governments to pass any smoking bans without the State getting involved. Like we need more laws and ordinances.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Smoking is illegal in all establishments in Columbia and Richland County and in some other municipalities in the state, but not on a statewide level. I visit bars and nightclubs a lot more since the ban passed a few years ago.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Smoking is illegal in all establishments in Columbia and Richland County and in some other municipalities in the state, but not on a statewide level. I visit bars and nightclubs a lot more since the ban passed a few years ago.
The figures in 2010 by the state had 33 cities and counties with the smoking ban in place. Our city limits banned it first and it was a couple of years before the county banned it but not for private clubs. So bars became private clubs to continue to allow smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina