Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,770 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I would like to know something, all the research I have done on Gettysburg, I have read how Close knit the community is, friendly and in general very nice.

In the same breath I have also seen that the USA in general are not too friendly when considering aliens in their home country. Now I have come to understand that this occurs only in some states, and not the whole US.

What I would like to know is, how does the people of Gettysburg respond to aliens in their small little town? Do they get accepted and treated the same? Or are they treated different? Even slightly?

I am a white male from South Africa that will be moving to Gettysburg end of June or beginning of July, because of a great job offer. I was wondering how we ( me and my wife) would be accepted or rejected? Seeing I dont know what to expect?

Also, can someone please suggest a good place where I can look for places to rent in Gettyburg online? I am completly in the unknown and would dearly appreciate any advice what so ever from anyone, as I am a complete novice at your stunning country.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,450 times
I know some folks from Gettysburg, and I will try to pass your message along to them!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM

77 posts, read 152,036 times
The USA is the MOST inclusive 1st world nation on the planet. That is a fact. Don't believe all the hype in the media about the bigots, racists, fascist crazies. There are people in the media who's spole reason for having a job is to make the USA out to be a backwards, knuckle-dragging lot of folks who worships guns, god, and oil.

Most people don't care where you're from so long as you have good work ethic and good manners.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:18 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,345 times
I don't think you will have any problem in Gettysburg. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, and I have only been there a few times but I have quite a few friends that live there. It might take a bit to get to know people, and there are bad eggs everywhere, but I have yet to meet one from there.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I guess I haven't ever been to impressed with Gettysburg. I have done work there in years past. But the reality is, it isn't any different than any other small take in rural america.

I have met salt of the earth people from Gettysburg, and I have met those aren't so complimentary.

That being said, dad bought my favorite tractor of all time from the John Deere dealership there in 1969.

It is what you make the experience. If you hard working and honest, mind your own business, you will do just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota