Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:28 PM

142 posts, read 308,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG712 View Post
You say these towns are close to lakes? Can you swim in these lakes or just for fishing? What are the towns like? I am looking for a small town. Close to a lake or lakes. Good schools. I prefer old homes late 1800's to early 1900's. Maybe a few hangout spots, and a couple of resturants. Is there such a place?
You can definitely swim in the lakes. Watertown has Lake Kampeska & Pelican Lake right outside of town and Aberdeen has Mina and Richmond Lakes about 7-10 miles out. If you move to Webster you'll be driving about 10-30 minutes to the lakes in the Waubay area. Watertown and Aberdeen are larger and have more job opportunities though. There is Northern State University in Aberdeen and Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown as well. All three are nice towns and have decent schools and the types of houses and trees you're looking for, but it's only fair to also mention that the Aberdeen/Webster/Watertown region generally has the worst weather in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Brookings, if east river.
Hermosa or Rochford out west.

Someplace along the mountains in Wyoming or Montana out of state... Don't know of any specifics.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:33 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
If I had the money a winter home in key west fl would be great.its really a great little city.or a home in custer for the summer.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
If I had the money a winter home in key west fl would be great.its really a great little city.or a home in custer for the summer.
I had thought of Key west as well for a winter home. But I am guessing there there would be more people than I would care to be around.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
most of the keys are remote and a good place to be a nudist if you want.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
most of the keys are remote and a good place to be a nudist if you want.
Well I would prefer to keep my clothes on. For my sake and the sake of my fellow members of the human race. Unless they are wanting a laugh.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:07 PM

93 posts, read 163,736 times
Missoula, Montana. I LOVE Missoula (and Montana in general), and almost moved there a few years back. Couldn't quite get it together though, so I had to pass. It kinda broke my heart, because, when I visited there, it truly felt like home...

Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
You can definitely swim in the lakes. Watertown has Lake Kampeska & Pelican Lake right outside of town and Aberdeen has Mina and Richmond Lakes about 7-10 miles out. If you move to Webster you'll be driving about 10-30 minutes to the lakes in the Waubay area. Watertown and Aberdeen are larger and have more job opportunities though. There is Northern State University in Aberdeen and Lake Area Technical Institute in Watertown as well. All three are nice towns and have decent schools and the types of houses and trees you're looking for, but it's only fair to also mention that the Aberdeen/Webster/Watertown region generally has the worst weather in the state.
If I were to pick between the three, I would pick Watertown due to good interstate access and it being closer to Sioux Falls and Twin Cities. It is a friendly and clean community that is steadily growing. Aberdeen and Webster are nice communities also. Aberdeen has many nice older homes along with Webster. I have not been too far into Watertown's older areas.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:11 PM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,175 times
I realize the Madison has an employment crisis right now. But we stayed at a resort on Lake Herman and visted Lake Madison also...I was impressed with the area.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM

193 posts, read 677,655 times
Being from the Watertown and Brookings areas, I would have to pick Brookings over Watertown right now by a longshot. Watertown has several stores closing, while Brookings just opened 6 new ones last summer and is opening a few more within the next few months. There is plenty of work in Brookings. I looked at the job service page for Watertown and the newspaper, there isn't much of anything for work right now, plus the pay is so much lower than Brookings (I think because Brookings is closer to Sioux Falls they need to stay competitive, plus the economy is doing well compared to most towns). There isn't the best choices right close by Brookings for lakes, except Oakwood is only 30 minutes away, and Lake Benton MN, which is a cool little town. There is a lake 10 minutes from town that people live on, swim in, etc, and sometimes it's nice, while other times it's green, but that's most lakes on eastern SD anyhow. I think Lake Cochrane (near Clear Lake, SD) is one of the more nicer lakes in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota