Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
South Dakota is a nice place to raise a family. Yankton, however has left an ugly scar on my heart. Some 19 years ago my sister in-law and niece were MURDERED in their beds in Yankton. The guy who killed them walked away from the MENTAL hospital, and because he was a sentenced to the hospital through the court system he was not sound enough to stand trial for the murders of my family memebers.
In fairness though, the town has a great college in Mt. Marty.
Stevie--I am so sorry for what happened to your family! I actually am trying to research that situation to write about it as a failing of the system. Would you be willing to talk to me? I won't use anything we discuss without your permission. I have spoken with a physician who worked at the facility who is still horrified by what happened there and actually lost his job there because he spoke out against the facilitiy's actions. Is there a way I can get in touch with you? Please let me know. My name is Joanne, and I am a freelance writer in Harrisburg, PA. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hburgcarrie View Post
Stevie--I am so sorry for what happened to your family! I actually am trying to research that situation to write about it as a failing of the system. Would you be willing to talk to me? I won't use anything we discuss without your permission. I have spoken with a physician who worked at the facility who is still horrified by what happened there and actually lost his job there because he spoke out against the facilitiy's actions. Is there a way I can get in touch with you? Please let me know. My name is Joanne, and I am a freelance writer in Harrisburg, PA. Thank you!
You may not get a response, Stevie_2 hasn't logged onto the system in over 4 years. However, they may have their profile set up to notify them if a post is responded to, so you might get lucky.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Yankton is a friendly small city with character and a "can do" attitude. It is growing steadily and is holding its own. Even with a job in Yankton, my recommendation is to get involved with a church and an organization or two where you can make a positive difference. One good thing is that you have a chance to meet some very nice people along the way.
hello my family is from yankton way back

i have come to visit and i loved the town i have been doing some research and it seems there is a high sex offender rate that scares me i have 4 girls i have to get out of ny i have had enough

Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM

81 posts, read 208,901 times
I was in Yankton earlier this week putting my household goods in storage, there is a lot to like about Yankton coming from DFW, but I still prefer west river.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,312 times
Default Wrong Wrong Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleGem0524 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Stevie, I hope you dont think I am being insensitive to your situation by telling you this... I live in San Diego and was listening to the radio, since it's close to Halloween the topic was ghost stories. This woman called in to tell of a story when she lived in a house close to a mental institution (in Yankton, South Dakota). She said she did not know someone had died in the house when she had purchased it, but after experiencing paranormal activity, she looked into it and found that a woman and her child had been killed after a man wondered away from the mental institution. One example she gave as to the weird stuff that was happening to her was that the woman told her own daughter to get ready for bed and to put her pj's on. Awhile later the woman clicked off the tv to make sure her daughter had changed and she saw her daughter walk down the hall in her pj's in the tv's reflection, but when the woman turned she saw her own daughter still in her school clothes. The reflection she had saw was the murdered child. She moentioned some other things that I can't remember, but this stuck.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm really into these kinds-of things so I looked into it and found your comment.[/FONT]
As you can see, I live near San Diego now but I use to live in Yankton South Dakota and am very familiar with the woman and child killed there. However there are many mistakes in the above story. The house the woman and child died in is at least 15 miles from where the mental institution was. Perhaps your idea of close is different than mine. The woman and her child were killed in there beds while the woman's sister-in-law hid in a closet and heard the whole thing. The mental institution for the criminally insane has since been closed and a new facility that treats Alhemizers patients is there. My own mother received excellent care there.

How would "Stevie" know the child? And identify her? Someone is making up stories for some twisted reason. I worked with the woman for years, knew her daughter and was a student of the husband who was out of town at the time. I don't appreciate anyone seeking attention from his tragic loss. and FYI the murderer is no longer in Yankton, but serving a life sentence in a maximum security prison.

Yankton is a great little town to be from, just ask Tom Brokaw!

Old 05-07-2016, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,062 times
I wont lie i have a gf up in yankton its going be 6 months since we dated she has a 4 year old son but my dad says its to early in the relationship to move up there and that she should move here and i know that wont happen she hates driving here and her son is going to start school here in august and his dad lives in yankton umm i really wanna move there idc if omaha has move oppurtuinity even tho it doesnt really cuz all the jobs u need degrees here i know its a big step but im going to need to do it anyways so why not now and i know this isnt my forum but just would like some opinons

Old 05-08-2016, 12:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
On the one hand, knowing a single mother with a child for six months is DEFINITELY not long enough to provide a good reason to move somewhere you don't already have a job lined up. Your Dad is right.

On the other hand, there do seem to be unskilled level job openings available here. They don't pay well, but it could be a decent life. Just come prepared to work hard, and don't be dumb enough to get involved with drugs.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie_2 View Post
South Dakota is a nice place to raise a family. Yankton, however has left an ugly scar on my heart. Some 19 years ago my sister in-law and niece were MURDERED in their beds in Yankton. The guy who killed them walked away from the MENTAL hospital, and because he was a sentenced to the hospital through the court system he was not sound enough to stand trial for the murders of my family memebers.
In fairness though, the town has a great college in Mt. Marty.
I was born in Yankton, and I remember that incident well. It was horrible. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade. Your brother must be Kim? We were family friends my Dad knew him well. My sister and I use to play with Shantel. My parents still live there. I know you posted this quite a while ago, but my condolences. They have never been forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota