Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 03:11 PM

46 posts, read 116,777 times

Advertisements

And they are still asking for 10 billion dollars to help get it started, I for one am disappointed but that is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 04:07 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,410,382 times
I heard $10 billion, but I've also read between $6-$8 billion...still a lot of money

Old 06-08-2008, 07:31 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
I have read in the Argus Leader's online site that it passed. I thought that it would be much closer than the current results. It was good to see it pass and hopefully the refinery gets the necessary permits and gets going. It will be a boost for southeastern South Dakota and the region. It will improve oil supply in the Upper Midwest, bring thousands of jobs (with the refinery and the side industries that may locate there), stronger tax base, and a better chance to keep our young people in South Dakota. There are issues too, environmental and social issues resulting from an influx of people. With planning and cooperation, instead of trying to pick fights, will solve these problems. With the tougher standards, this refinery can serve as a good model for current and future refineries.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 AM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Are the newer technologies used in oil refineries cleaner compared with a coal plant?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:16 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Are the newer technologies used in oil refineries cleaner compared with a coal plant?
About 20+ years ago, the tree huggers got their foot in the door. Now don't get me wrong, conservation and our environment is a very important issue to me. However, once they got started, they went a little overboard.

Elk Point is a perfect example. 20 years ago, they could have built it and met all the environmental impacts for about $20 mil. Now, they're looking at building it for $10 Bil.

Emmissions are a concern. Smell is a concern. Astetics is a concern. They want it to blend into the environment.

At any rate, there is a big portion of cosmetic thing that they have to meet.

Some of these could be relaxed, allow them to build, but set up a deal that they have to meet all condition within 10 years of being brought on line.

They have simply made it too costly to build them. Millions in Permit fees and impact studies.

But to answer your question. Yes emmissions are a concern, but its a very small concern of many.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
About 20+ years ago, the tree huggers got their foot in the door. Now don't get me wrong, conservation and our environment is a very important issue to me. However, once they got started, they went a little overboard.

Elk Point is a perfect example. 20 years ago, they could have built it and met all the environmental impacts for about $20 mil. Now, they're looking at building it for $10 Bil.

Emmissions are a concern. Smell is a concern. Astetics is a concern. They want it to blend into the environment.

At any rate, there is a big portion of cosmetic thing that they have to meet.

Some of these could be relaxed, allow them to build, but set up a deal that they have to meet all condition within 10 years of being brought on line.

They have simply made it too costly to build them. Millions in Permit fees and impact studies.

But to answer your question. Yes emmissions are a concern, but its a very small concern of many.
South Dakota must be doing a few things right. It now has the lowest unemployment rate in the U.S. according to the April statistics.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,367 times
Is this town the one over in the south east side of the state ? Can someone tell me how they picked this location ? Just wondering , based on the new finds up in the Northwest corner ?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomiles View Post
Is this town the one over in the south east side of the state ? Can someone tell me how they picked this location ? Just wondering , based on the new finds up in the Northwest corner ?
I don't think there's any drilling going on around there, but I could be mistaken. I think it was planned more on the distribution side of the argument. Easy access to several large towns around there.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,925,191 times
I agree with Elk Hunter. The location for the Elk Point refinery would be close to the proposed Trans-Canada pipeline. The refinery would be close to Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Vermillion, and a number of smaller towns to draw from for a labor force. The advanatage would be it being close to USD, which would provide science majors along with business majors for administrative functions. Southeast Tech and Western Iowa Tech in Sioux City will provide the mechanical workers. South Dakota State will be good with providing engineering personnel. There are some workers who have prior experiences and the refinery would be a good fit to them. It would be great from an economic standpoint.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 PM

The judge will have the final say on this issue.

Opponents of refinery will continue fight | argusleader.com | Argus Leader
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota