Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

In this order, I would recommend the following.

Spearfish

Rapid City

Hill City

Spearfish and Rapid City have been explained, so I won't go into that again.

Hill City is a nice little town and has traffic going through it for Crazy Horse, Mt Rushmore, Custer State Park, etc. Many tourists stop and shop. During the summer, parking is hard to find because of all the people.

It's not like Keystone as far as becoming a ghost town in the winter. But it does slow down a lot during the winter. It does have a longer season as October and November the hills are filled with Hunters. So if you used the winter to stock pile your builds, summer time would provide heavy traffic for sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:34 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripphome View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate all the input! We have had so much fun just talking about moving! I think we will head that way in April.
Coming from the Sioux Falls area (LONG time ago!) I remember it was quite humid, is there less humidity in the hills area?
Our business is jewelry design, silver smith & bead/work, not Native America design, more of an artistic or free form using lots of natural stones, etc.
We also love to teach workshops as that tends to be the butter for the bread when the tourist leave! Anyway, I will keep chatting with you all & asking stupid questions as they come up, if no one minds ~ Thanks
The hills see very, very minimal humidity.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,420 times
I would think finding consignors would be possible as well especially since you stuff will be locally made - that seems to ring with tourists.
I agree with Elk Hunter on Hill City as an option - one of the cleaner small towns IMO as well -

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
In the same vein as Hill City, might take into consideration Custer. I honestly like Custer perhaps just a bit more than Hill City. Hill City has appeal too. It all comes down to preferences. Hill City would be closer to Rapid than Custer.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:04 PM

151 posts, read 326,308 times
Wow, you all are so helpful, I have had severall folks mention Hill City & we are kind of looking at that now, too! We are planning a fact finding trip in April so a lot of questons can be addressed firsthand. Thank you all, so very much! I LOVE the people of South Dakota...I have missed that helpful spirit! It was always in me, personally, and Ithink it comes from the attitude of the people located there!
I am so amazed how much info you can get on the internet...I have sat here at my computer & walked through many of these small towns we are talking about! ow totally cool is that, anyway!
Ok, Will see what comes up next...thanks again! We'll keep checking the area out! See you in April ~N~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota