Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,001 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to SD in 07 I see someone else on here is as well. Anyway I have heard for sometime that James jumped on foot not on a horse to get away from the law somewhere in the SD or ND????? Hit me back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 11:42 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Sorry, I can't help you much with that one. I believe that Jesse and his bro, Frank were in Dakota Territory for a while. They were also in surrounding states, Minn, and Neb. I'm not sure what you're referring to, but Jesse and Frank did their robberies shortly after the Civil War which ended in 1863. ND and SD were still one territory until 1889. They were the sons of a Baptist Pastor from Mo. They grew up in St. Joseph Mo. and I'm not sure where they expired. One of the few things I know is that Jesse married his cousin and his bro also married. They were thought to be more of the Robin Hood nature then the outlaws they're often remembered as. Jesse thought that the Ford Brothers were his friends and had planned on doing a robbery with them because he needed $$ to buy a house. One of the Ford brothers shot Jesse and killed him because he wanted the $10,000 reward.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
There is a cliff or ravine or whatever that Jesse James supposedly jumped in Garretson, SD. I heard it was on horse, they have a billboard promoting it that it was on horse. I don't know how true it is or not.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Golfgal, you're right. I vaguely remember something about that. It's very possible that he also hung out in the Black Hills with Calamity Jane or Wild Bill Hickok or several other well known figures that lived part of their lives out there. I just remembered something today~my brother's wife is a distant relative of Jesse James. I remember she told me that years ago, but I can't remember how they were related.

Old 09-14-2006, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,999 times
Yes there is a place in South Dakota that has all of what you said about Jesse Jumping that Gulch.
I have been there and seen it..
I also claim to be his GrGRGrandaughter.
If you ever get the chance to go see that place GO you will find it entertaining. I for 1 think that the posse at the time was to affraid to jump it..
I do have picture of the place aslo..
And 1 more bit of information that you might find interesting is , Jesse WAS NOT shot and killed in 1882 By BOB Ford.
he lived to be a old man and is buried in Granbury Tx.
I also have his death certificate..
The dig they done in Clay Co was a show that is all it was. They did not get the DNA oput of that grave. They got of from a tupperware bowl.. And they cant say it was really Jesse's Tooth they used.
No one has seen the resolves of the DNA they done as to date..
Hope that anyone that wants to know the real truth will just dig and dig until they see for them self.
I have..
And still do..
Grace

Old 09-14-2006, 04:28 PM

156 posts, read 792,413 times
Default Garretson, SD

I wonder if it is in or near Palisades State Park? Just a guess...

Old 09-14-2006, 11:53 PM

Your guess is right. After I read the previous post, I remembered that we saw signs about it when we were on our way to Palisades a few years ago.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSpaceRobot View Post
I am planning a trip to SD in 07 I see someone else on here is as well. Anyway I have heard for sometime that James jumped on foot not on a horse to get away from the law somewhere in the SD or ND????? Hit me back...
There is an area south of Garretson, SD that is where eluded the law. It is near Palisades State Park. They should have information for you.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:33 PM

HI CP, glad you found the forum. SD doesn't have much representation here. Brandon? We don't live too far from there. We live in Mitchell.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,989 times
Default Need Help

Well I Heard A Song On Kini In Rosebud South Dakota They Play It Often N I Fell In Love With It I Cannot Find It Online Or On Any Prgrams Its Called Lakota Lullabye A Woman Sings It...can You Help Me? Also Who Sings This 49er Song Mama Lil Baby Loves Shortening Bread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota