Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:10 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

I have located the same area in the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter search page and so here is the link to the LROC image. It definitely does not look like a natural feature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 01:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
More importantly, why is there an image in the first picture on the right hand side of a woman in a bathing cap and goggles?
Because not only are we NOT alone but we are being WATCHED!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:01 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I would have expected a 500$ winner to make posts which are both helpful and enlightening. Of course sometimes it might be necessary to make jokes, but maybe intelligently add to the discussion on the thread as well.

Otherwise it makes me wonder what is the point of awarding these prizes to people who have the time to post one-liners but not the time to be constructive.
We are wired genetically to like a sense of humor. Like it or not funny people get ahead in society easier than others and not having a sense of humor is a big hindrance. The most popular people on forums are always the funny ones.. and in real life.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:00 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
Please, All. One of the worst things you can do to a learner, whether age three or age 93, is to scoff. Because your are educated scientists, you are the only ones capable of steering someone that you think is mistaken toward correct answers. When you simply scoff and walk away, you give science a bad name.

I don't mean to preach. I simply speak from experience. All of the science I have learned has come from scientists who took time to answer my "dumb", uninformed questions. One of those is on this forum. I hope he knows how I appreciated his answers. I learned from him what I never got to learn in school

Maybe the OP is totally wrong. Maybe his imagination is running away with him. Or maybe - just maybe he is onto something. Columbus was scoffed at. Edison was not only scoffed at but was expelled from school and labeled retarded because he could not read. Then there is Einstein who seems to be the idol of all scientists. He, too, was scoffed at.

My apologies for getting carried away but it always upsets me when I see someone trying to get answers being put down. I don't think the OP said he was certain this is fact. I think he asked how he could find out more. By that I don't mean you have to help if you don't want to or don't feel adequate to it. I only mean it isn't necessary to put someone down because you think he are being totally off base. Please think about it. Maybe you absolutely know he is wrong. Fine to say that also if you can show how he is wrong. And we hope he is wise enough to listen.

OcPaul20, I am not a scientist but I have one very poor idea. Have you tried looking at some maps of the moon from official pictures? Pictures taken by people like those at NASA and see if you can find a picture that matches up to what you have?

Just an idea. Stay with it until you find that you are mistaken. Even finding that you are mistaken is something to be proud of because you had the courage to try. And a last minute thought. Remember that the astronauts who have been to the moon deliberately left certain items behind. Markers of some kind. Other things I've read about. Keep an open mind. In defense of those who don't want to speak out, those pictures do look strange. Those two ends look awfully new to me but I'm not one to say what is what.

Good luck.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
In defense of those who don't want to speak out, those pictures do look strange. Those two ends look awfully new to me but I'm not one to say what is what.
Yes, I was trying to get people to seriously consider what could have caused such a structure or lunar feature, but as is often the case, there does not seem to be anyone who will spend time on these kind of posts.

Mainly of course because they are often just ordinary features which any lunar scientists can identify, but as you say, that does not help others who might be interested in the whole subject if they dont explain in a patient way.

I appreciate all your comments, thank you.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"Please, All. One of the worst things you can do to a learner, whether age three or age 93, is to scoff. Because your are educated scientists, you are the only ones capable of steering someone that you think is mistaken toward correct answers. When you simply scoff and walk away, you give science a bad name.

I don't mean to preach. I simply speak from experience. All of the science I have learned has come from scientists who took time to answer my "dumb", uninformed questions. One of those is on this forum. I hope he knows how I appreciated his answers. I learned from him what I never got to learn in school"

Lack of education, lack of knowledge, lack of understanding what has been determined to have validity is no sin and to be treated as such.

There is no polite way of putting this. The flaunting of absurdity as "fact", when even a cursory investigation would show the error of the premise, does not deserve more than a summary dismissal.

For instance: "I do not understand what this feature on the moon is, or how it got there. Can you elucidate?" is a question that deserves a response, if possible.

For instance: "Pipelines are shown to be on the moon" is NOT a question, is NOT seeking anything approaching an educated response, but is a STATEMENT of ignorance and a glorification on that ignorance as some sort of "superior" knowledge.

I am not the smartest person on the planet, and I view helping others to learn as a noble pursuit. I am FULLY willing to admit my own limitations and say "I don't know." The hubris of people who CLAIM to "know" what they have no way of knowing irritates the p*ss out of me. That occurs, NOT because I know better, but because there are those who do not have enough background to recognize the hubris of the blowhard, and accept it as factual.

I don't deny that "scientists" sometimes scoff when they are themselves in error. I also don't deny that there are a LOT of uninformed and misinformed and magical thinking people with outrageous claims that are little more than noise. In science, the burden of the person with the theory is to produce the proof that supports that theory, and have that proof reviewed and recognized by peers. Anything less is not science.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:32 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
Good points, of course. I didn't nalyze how the question was worded. I just saw what he is asking - I think. Are we alone in the universe? What else could cause this if it is real. I have my thoughts, as has everyone else. But if people see something that makes them speculate, who knows?

The problem is I grew up in a school system where children did not have ideas and did not ask questions. I remember the boy who pointed out to the teacher how South America fits right into Africa and they must have broken apart. Teacher's reply: "Don't be stupid; continents don't move." Don't they? Then there was the eighth grade teacher who (shortly before WW II) pronounced firmly: "There are some scientists who think they can split the atom but they are wrong. The atom is the smallest unit in the universe and cannot be split." I suspect she got an education in 1945.

Have a good day.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:07 AM

OK, so I have changed the LROC base layer to Clementine image set and the obvious structure in the Lunar Orbiter image does not appear in the same place. I do not think what is being shown in the LO picture is an artifact and no-one on this thread seems to be denying it is a real 'something' but what is it in those LO pictures ?

LROC using Clementine base data

I could go into conspiracy mode and say that the Clementine images have been altered to cover up the 'something' which would show up too detailed and start folks asking awkward questions. Of course, no scientist would want to consider that alteration because it would place doubt on any NASA images which they use to study lunar structures and which they use to discover and study lunar features.

Yet it is there in the LO pictures and supposedly not there in the Clementine ones. What is there on the lunar surface one moment when the LO passed over and not there the next when the Clementine mission took its images?

Three possibilities.
a) the LO images clearly shows an image artifact. (although it looks real enough)
b) Something has changed on the surface of the Moon. (unlikely)
c) something else happened

This is why we need a Lunar Scientist to give us a plausible explanation which takes into account the fact that many papers have probably been written referencing the Lunar Orbiter image data.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
The flaunting of absurdity as "fact", when even a cursory investigation would show the error of the premise, does not deserve more than a summary dismissal.
I dont care if you are polite or not, but I do care if you are dismissive of what you think is 'an absurdity'. What gives you the right to judge what is an absurdity or not, or for that matter what 'deserves' a proper answer?

Scientists used the Lunar Orbiter data for years until something better came along. This indicates to me that they used it to recognize rilles and similar structures which they have since analysed and determined what they think caused or formed these.

When a structure does not fit into a known category of lunar feature (rille), shouldn't it be a reason to question the whole way we identify that lunar structure?

Just because this questioning does not come from a Lunar Scientist does not mean it is an absurdity which is being proposed. OK, so maybe I did not ask the question the way you like to hear it, but the fact that something is not fitting into the known and identified feature list SHOULD make any real scientist start to question what it could be and start thinking about forming a hypothesis how it was created.

Since you have already done this 'cursory investigation' in determining this to be such a error of premise, and so it is not a pipe-like structure after all. (in my uneducated opinion, it IS pipe-like)

Maybe you can tell me what you think this image shows as it is obviously NOT a rille which is the nearest lunar structure it could be, based on the lunar features so far identified.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
"I dont care if you are polite or not, but I do care if you are dismissive of what you think is 'an absurdity'. What gives you the right to judge what is an absurdity or not, or for that matter what 'deserves' a proper answer?"

It is called "free will." A long time ago, I worked in a mental institution and spent day after day with patients presenting me with absurd notions and claims. Had I not had free will and judgment, I would have ended up there beside them. Your question is more a retort than rhetorical. I'm not going to spend any large amount of time trying to explain or talk into a microphone that is turned off. My time is my world, your time is yours. Live it as you will. I'm not wasting mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space