Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 AM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times

Advertisements

OK, so I know now what you guys are trying to tell me.

Having looked at the 'pipeline' under the layer Regional Product "LROC WAC Nearside no-slew mosaic" it is not clear to me where the 'pipeline' has gone. However, looking at it again using the Regional Product LROC NAC overlay, because this is a more detailed narrow view I can see not only the 'pipeline' but also why it looked like one to me. Like the sea coming up a beach, this outflow has stopped flowing and frozen with a light-coloured edge to it. The edge is what looks like a pipeline and this image view shows that nicely (although you may have to zoom in a little more).

LROC WAC Nearside no-slew mosaic -

LROC NAC overlay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Good detective work on that.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 PM

375 posts, read 296,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
More importantly, why is there an image in the first picture on the right hand side of a woman in a bathing cap and goggles?
You sir make an excellent point, and show us all what sort of perception flaw the OP is imbued with. Not meant to insult him, all of us have it. We are hardwired from Evolution to search for patterns in life. Even when they are not there. This is why, the man in the Moon, and also why we see two flamingos drinking tea together in an inkblot test.

As far as the pics, I could not be more underwhelmed. The "pipeline" is simply a geological ridge. No different than a very small tectonic plate boundary or induction ridge here on Earth. Of which of course there are thousands. And we no know the Moon was likely once part of the Earth, before getting blasted away from an asteroid or meteor strike. The debris then got caught up in our orbit due to gravitational pull, and coalesced into the dead rocky lifeless satellite it is today and has been since mankind first began.

There is no life other than, maybe, microbial, in our solar system, obviously. Other than here on Earth.

Now.....the Galaxy is a very different matter. I am of the opinion it is teeming with intelligent life.

Old 02-26-2017, 02:28 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Excellent post and rebuttal by the OP.

As an airline pilot, I've spent over three decades looking down on planet earth and my initial 'expert' observation of the orbiters photo raises similar interest.
It would be helpful to know what distance the photo was taken from?
It definitely resembles some type of conduit. I look forward to another expert opinion on what occurance on the surface cause this type of geometrical image?
Ah... you have experience viewing a planet from six miles up, so you're an expert at interpreting photographs of an entirely different body taken from thousands of miles away (the Lunar 4 Orbiter's eccentric lunar orbit varied between roughly 1700 miles and 3800 miles). And... you think that makes sense?

That's roughly the equivalent of a cosmetologist explaining that her familiarity with examining the human body grants her oncology expertise.

It's a line. Lines in heavenly bodies naturally occur. We know this. There are lines on Earth. They're formed by coasts. By faults. By escarpments. By streams. There are lines on Mars. There are lines on Venus (detectable by radar, since visually the planet is opaque). There are lines on Mercury. There are lines on numerous moons about the gas giants. And on and on and on. In deciding that this must be a pipeline, you and the OP are selecting an absurdly complex explanation which is utterly at odds with everything that is known of the moon and rejecting the perfectly plausible explanation that comports with all that is known about the moon.

And why are you doing this? Because OMG, THERE'S EVIDENCE OF A CIVILIZATION ON THE MOON! is more gratifying to you than HEY, LOOKS LIKE THE MOON EXHIBITS MANY OF THE ORDINARY GEOLOGIC FEATURES FOUND ON ROCKY PLANETS AND MOONS THROUGHOUT THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

Intellectual dishonest and self-delusion run amok.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Simple case of Pareidolia.

We are wired to see patterns, and some of us are better at it.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
It amazes me they can put a 12 mp camera in a $400 iphone but can't do any better than that with pictures of our own moon. They should have like google maps street view of the moon by now.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:44 AM

830 posts, read 684,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, so I know now what you guys are trying to tell me.

Having looked at the 'pipeline' under the layer Regional Product "LROC WAC Nearside no-slew mosaic" it is not clear to me where the 'pipeline' has gone. However, looking at it again using the Regional Product LROC NAC overlay, because this is a more detailed narrow view I can see not only the 'pipeline' but also why it looked like one to me. Like the sea coming up a beach, this outflow has stopped flowing and frozen with a light-coloured edge to it. The edge is what looks like a pipeline and this image view shows that nicely (although you may have to zoom in a little more).
Okay. Let's slow down. Firstly, notice the direction of the light source (sun) in each photo. Is it me or is it obvious the terrain is the side of a ridge?

Secondly, in science, after you've come across a phenomenon you are unable to identify or understand, you've lost the authority to make any conclusions about said phenomenon. You cannot assert a statement about or explain a phenomenon that you've already demonstrated is unidentified to you. Science is a means of using methods to test phenomena and using evidence to explain them.

In order to suggest that what you're seeing is, in fact, a pipeline, you'll need to have knowledge in astronomy, lunar geology, topography, astrophotography, etc., because you'll have to eliminate all other more reasonable explanations for the white structure in that photograph. Your argument has to eliminate the possibility that it's simply sunlight reflecting off the side of a ridge, and more.

Then, you have to present evidence that suggests it's a pipeline. Saying that it looks like a pipeline in one or two photographs is not evidence because (1) the human eye is extremely limited in what it can see and is easily fooled and (2) there is this thing called cognitive bias.

Hopefully, by now, you've become a better critical thinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space