Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 AM

159 posts, read 397,130 times

Advertisements

My 10yr old autistic son has made great progress this year, getting a bit more verbal and finally out of pull ups, but this week he woke up early in the morning and spent two hours playing around his room and peeing on the TV! Up until now, he had no problem waiting until he got up to properly use the toilet. We played back the recording of the event (we have a camera in his room) and he would pee on the TV, then get some clothing out of his drawers and attempted to clean it up. He repeated this about 10 times within 2 hours before I heard him and investigated. His actions killed the TV, so I removed it and made sure that he understood what he did was wrong and that he broke his TV so there would be no more movies (he loves older Disney movies). After a few days of no movies he was definitely sad about this. Last night, he got up right after going to bed and again peed on the spot where the TV was. We saw this happen and confronted him, again reminding him about proper behavior and how he broke his TV. I'm guessing it's an independence thing and we will have to keep a close eye on him (as usual), but wanted to see if anyone else has gone thru a similar incident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
My 6yo went through a phase of going into the bathroom to pee...but peeing in the bathtub instead! We of course caught him very quickly, but it took a couple weeks for him to stop. He just seemed to find it funny. Even explaining that it was where he and his sister took baths didn't seem to phase him. Luckily he stopped but just this last week my husband discovered he had peed in the basement shower! Since the shower has never been used, just dusted/cleaned regularly, we kept the toilet plunger in there, on a piece of newspaper. I had just cleaned the bathroom the day before, so we know it was his first time since the paper was always dry. Again, he just found it funny. His punishment was to lose his DSi for a week and it seems to have worked. We'll see if it happens again when his DSi is returned.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:10 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,351 times
Spank the kid. They'll learn to associate pain=not funny. Peeing on things= painful = not funny. It's not rocket science, folks.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:29 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,970 times

I will have to agree with Smooth23 on this one. Give the kid a painful smack or the rear w/ the belt and he won't do it again. I don't have an autistic child (or any children for that matter), but shouldn't children stop wearing pull-ups by the time they're four? You wouldn't want other children in school to find out that he wore pull-ups until the age of 10. Children today can be so cruel.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,596 times
I'm thinking of one child I knew who had autism and I'm pretty sure I know just how that particular child would have reacted if his parent had followed the advice given by the last two posters.

He would have gone over to the TV area, peed again, and then smacked himself on the butt, quoting whatever accompaying parental verbage went along with the spanking, and then mimicked himself crying.

And he would have done it over and over again for weeks and weeks and weeks.

OP, I don't have any suggestions but I think the camera in the room is a neat idea.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Uh yeah, I think Stressed and the College Girl need to look up "autism" and get a general summary of what that means. You don't need to be a parent to know that hitting an autistic child is probably a really really stupid thing to do.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post

I will have to agree with Smooth23 on this one. Give the kid a painful smack or the rear w/ the belt and he won't do it again. I don't have an autistic child (or any children for that matter), but shouldn't children stop wearing pull-ups by the time they're four? You wouldn't want other children in school to find out that he wore pull-ups until the age of 10. Children today can be so cruel.
This child is autistic. Most children with autism have some developmental delays, so the idea of physical punishment is actually not a good idea at all.
I have seen this peeing happen with urinary tract infections, or issues in puberty, but he is very young for that. Has anything else changed in his routine?

Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM

159 posts, read 397,130 times
Well it's been a few weeks and I put another TV into his room (tube type TVs are just about free on craigslist!) and we reiterate each time he watches a movie about the event and the possible loss of the TV again. No problems so far. We do at times spank him when he misbehaves knowingly, but it only works (and does work well) when done at the time of the incident. Punishment for my son is quite different than most normal children as he has much higher thresholds for pain and reacts oddly to sensory input, giggling if he does not really know what he did wrong. Taking away privileges is often ineffective as he does not really "get it" but the TV privilege was definitly something he missed (our Hab person begged us for several weeks to bring it back, as my son was very weepy about it!).

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Spank the kid. They'll learn to associate pain=not funny. Peeing on things= painful = not funny. It's not rocket science, folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post

People with no experience with special needs kids should stay off this forum. Being judgemental on something you know nothing about isn't helpful to anyone.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:26 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,488,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGotcha View Post
His actions killed the TV...
The TV??? That little boy is damn lucky he didn't get electricuted right through his weenie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children