Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times

Advertisements

My 6 year old was tested for this at my request. I had to wait until he was 5. They said he didn't have it because he looked the testing people in the face. Sound along with other things bothers him. Latley when I talk he plugs his ears. We have this hole puncher for papers. It black and long and does 3 holes at once. He covers his ears with that to. You barely can hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 08:26 PM

27 posts, read 97,216 times
hyperacusia:

1. abnormal acuteness of hearing due to increased irritability of the sensory neural mechanism; characterized by intolerance for ordinary sound levels
Similar Words: hyperacusis, auditory hyperesthesia

Anagrams: hyperacusis

Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
I understand everyones frustration. Like my son you are soo excited to have a test done. THen they don't see what you are saying. I wanted during this appointment to call them out to the waiting room. My son does have sensory issues we did find that out and he went to OT for that and it was helpful. My two year old has the same thing. But there are other things that have always made me think he was Asperger. He worries about stuff all the time, uses big words for things. Drives me nuts on stuff like directions and remembers and talk about stuff that other kids could care less about.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I understand everyones frustration. Like my son you are soo excited to have a test done. THen they don't see what you are saying. I wanted during this appointment to call them out to the waiting room. My son does have sensory issues we did find that out and he went to OT for that and it was helpful. My two year old has the same thing. But there are other things that have always made me think he was Asperger. He worries about stuff all the time, uses big words for things. Drives me nuts on stuff like directions and remembers and talk about stuff that other kids could care less about.
These are also symptoms of ADHD. I don't think alot of docs have been trained in the differences yet and that's why I've been a big supporter of sending kids that were diagnosed years ago to a neuropsych now to see if there's more to the old diagnosis. We did just that and found out we were right all along, there was way more that just ADHD.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 30,710 times
My spouse's son ( 18 ) is VERY sensitive to cigarette smoke. We both smoke. However, I did rig our place up to be able to smoke in the basement throughout winter. ( I have no problem accomadating for that ) But, every now and then the air pressure outside will change and our exhaust fan turns into an intake fan and we experience a very loud and aggressive temper tantrum that may last for hours. Once we realise the smoke issue, I am able to clear the house out in 5 minutes. But the tantrum lasts. I am not ready to quit smoking yet ! LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShiftInHope View Post
My spouse's son ( 18 ) is VERY sensitive to cigarette smoke. We both smoke. However, I did rig our place up to be able to smoke in the basement throughout winter. ( I have no problem accomadating for that ) But, every now and then the air pressure outside will change and our exhaust fan turns into an intake fan and we experience a very loud and aggressive temper tantrum that may last for hours. Once we realise the smoke issue, I am able to clear the house out in 5 minutes. But the tantrum lasts. I am not ready to quit smoking yet ! LOL
As a fellow smoker I can sympathize and tell you what I did. I go outside and have since our son was born. As he grew up his outbursts about me smoking showed up so I just removed it as much as I could.
Before you say "but it's xx degrees outside" here it's currently +5 and was -5 when I woke up today and -15 yesterday and stays around those temps for 7months.
No soap box, no preaching, your house your rules it's just been my policy not to smoke inside my house where others who don't are trapped.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:32 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShiftInHope View Post
Many kids with AS have metabolic impairments in the liver, so they become hypersensitive to any airborne pollutants etc. The same thing happens in people with lupus.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
My son's psychiatrist said that it's very typical for kids with PPD-NOS to hate flushing toilets, public hand dryers and vacuum cleaners. My 5 year old PPD kid hates all of these things.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
I'm an Aspie and Ive always been sensitive to loud noise like music.also gunshots have been known to make me feel bad after a while and noone else felt bad after we shot the guns.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 AM

Some loud noise gets me but what really gets me is bright light like those lights attached to ceiling fans. Can't stand 'em!
My biggest "annoyance" are those commercials where you can hear people eating. Just the sound of 'em masticating their food or smacking their lips drives me completely bats to the point I mute the tv if I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children