Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

There's an interesting letter to the editor in the Arkansas paper today about the flu shots that are about to be given, and it's written by a woman who says she is active in the National Autism Association. The NAA supported legislation last year that would have required doctors to let their patients know about the mercury content of flu injections but it failed. She states that parents should look for the work "thimerosal", which indicates mercury, which is a neurotoxin. She also states the ingredients in the injection may include cick embryos, formaldehyde, and antibiotics.

I'm interested in this due to my nephew being autistic...of course there is the controversy surrounding vaccines, but I actually hadn't thought of the flu vaccine as being part of the problem. Now I'm re-thinking that - like this lady says, the flu lasts a week, but mercury lasts a lifetime...

So how many of you feel the pros outweigh the cons here and will have your child receive the vaccine? The flu is pretty nasty and I can imagine that some immunocompromised children may have to have it, without question. But I do see a good argument for not administering it as well.

Any thoughts? As a family we are on the shelf about this one and can't figure out what is the optimal route to go - just trying to get feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
My take on it is that if your kid is in a program for special needs kids, I would advise getting the shot. My personal experience is that those classes have quite a few folks from poorly managed households, and the kids are frequently allowed to attend class when they are sufficiently sick to be kept home.

I had MUCH more difficulty with virus from my kid in special ed as opposed to my normal kids.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
I will not get the flu shot for my kids. Mercury is still in the flu shots, so my kids have never have it. I am on the fence about mercury triggering autism. But I figure why risk more damage. What if its proven 20 years from now that mercury was a triggering factor? I would rather have my kids get sick with the flu now, then risk exposing them to a toxic metal for a lifetime.

I agree with NewtoCA that many parents send their kids to school sick. Luckily our school sends them right back home.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:21 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,692 times
The CDC (see their website) recommends asking your doctor about a vaccine that doesn't contain thimerosal. Apparently, not all of the flu vaccines contain it. There is also the option of the spray FluMist that doesn't contain it. Unfortunately, we can't take that because we are all asthmatic. We have to get the shots.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
The CDC (see their website) recommends asking your doctor about a vaccine that doesn't contain thimerosal. Apparently, not all of the flu vaccines contain it. There is also the option of the spray FluMist that doesn't contain it. Unfortunately, we can't take that because we are all asthmatic. We have to get the shots.
Thanks for the info on Flumist, I will check that out.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:07 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
Thanks for the info on Flumist, I will check that out.
You're welcome!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 PM

68 posts, read 516,021 times
I have been reading everything biomedical autism info lately. I do believe the CDC is lying and covering up information. I highly recommend the blog "Adventures in Autism". Adventures in Autism: An Invitation to Julie Gerberding to Help Her Find the Missing Information on AutismI had started looking into all of this before, but never to the extent I have now. My son is ten (and was normal until 1.5 or so) and has Asperger's. I don't think the mercury in the shots alone did it - but I also have mercury amalgams (and grind my teeth horribly, releasing the worst form - vapors) and also had amniocentesis with him - the shot I was given also had mercury. I think some people have allergic type reactions (I'm also looking into yeast and virus information - I think I have a yeast problem, and my son may too). Honestly, the doctors have pushed meds all my sons life and he's off meds and doing better than ever! The information that is out makes a whole lot of sense if you take the time to really read it. Also, on GenerationRescue.com they have wonderful links to all the government vaccine sites. On one of them (straight from the source), it showed which vaccines still contain mercury. 3 out of the 4 flu shots contain a large amount of thimerosal (I think equal to the amount that was "phased out" when my son was exposed). On one of the CDC or vaccine sites it says, can't remember which one. Search youtube: Robert Kennedy, Deidre Imus, Thimerosal trials. Oh, and you've probably heard about Hannah Poling and the mitochondrial disease that pre-disposed her to negative reactions to her vaccines, causing her autism - ruling by a federal court. There's an interesting video about the CDC's reaction and statements about it (on Adventures in Autism blog). And this mitochondrial condition could be up to 20% of the autism population...but of course, they won't test to find out...

Sorry to go on, I'm just now realizing there really is some bs coming from the government agencies (and even vaccine safety agencies who are allowed to have financial gains from the vaccines that are made!)...

Really, it makes one wonder. Esp since I have a 13 month old son now who has been getting shots...I do think it's too many too soon. (& with too much mercury!)

again sorry, I'm just really upset about this stuff right now.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
The fact that the CDC is the governmental agency telling us to get our kids vaccinated as well as the same governmental agency that is responsible for monitoring vaccine safety is a set-up for doubt and questions of integrity. The US government needs to separate these two essential duties. One distinct agency should be responsible for enforcing childhood vaccination programs while another agency is in charge of monitoring and reporting vaccine safety. I just don't know who to believe here.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:49 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 634,703 times
Default Frustrated

Unforunately, this is one of the shots I can't avoid. My special needs child will enter preschool in the fall and it is now manadatory for him to be in preschool.
I have many choice words for that new law in NJ.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 PM

68 posts, read 516,021 times
i talked to my ped today about my concerns for my 1 year old since my ten year old regressed to ASD sometime between 1 & 2, and he pretty much said the same thing - that it's going to be law here in GA. And he has to follow what the AAP says, because that's who he trusts. I hope he decides to look at all the information I gave him. He seemed mildly interested in the mitochondrial disease issues. I asked him how he knew my son didn't have a mitochondrial disease.

Time to move or study up on religious exemptions from vaccines to at least wait until 2, I hope for MMR, or break it up. Although my ped said he didn't even know how/if he could get it like that anymore.

sj3, there are websites that let you know what the state law is for exemptions. I've heard some states are more difficult than others. My cousins wife in Indiana never vaccinated and just wrote a simple letter about her religious beliefs and she hasn't ever had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children