Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 11:32 AM

412 posts, read 275,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I assume he's wearing pull ups.

to your question: maybe his counselor might have some suggestions. You may also want to join a support group for parents and caretakers of children with autism. You may find some good suggestions from the group members. This could be especially important if you have not cared for a child with this level of autism before.
No, he actually is in diapers. He fits in pampers still. He doesn't wear them for therapy, but he only goes when they make him, and hasn't yet learned to communicate when he needs to go.

He's mentally about 2 still though or even a little less, but is 8 years old. He knows when he has to go but will go to the corner of the room and go in his diaper instead, even though he knows where the toilet is and how to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 02:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
No, he actually is in diapers. He fits in pampers still. He doesn't wear them for therapy, but he only goes when they make him, and hasn't yet learned to communicate when he needs to go.

He's mentally about 2 still though or even a little less, but is 8 years old. He knows when he has to go but will go to the corner of the room and go in his diaper instead, even though he knows where the toilet is and how to use it.
Have his parents tried the guide from autism speaks?

You can download it here (but you have to give your name and email):
https://www.autismspeaks.org/tool-ki...training-guide

Old 02-27-2022, 09:06 PM

412 posts, read 275,252 times
So far it's been great. He actually hates the park though. He always wants to just get back in the car.

He likes going to an indoor trampoline place and we went to an air museum, and just drive around and stop to eat other times.

He doesn't actually wear diapers at school or therapy, but that is because they are able to keep a schedule for him. Until he is able to hold it and initiate going himself, he will need to be in diapers other times though.

It's not been that bad as he fits on diaper changing tables at public places and the mall he likes has a family restroom with a padded bench for changing older children.

He doesn't seem to understand the concept of using an ipad to say what he wants yet, but is able to nod and shake his head as well as point to what he wants and take my hand to guide me.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:45 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
How about visiting museums? Those should peak his interest.

Better yet, teach him a skill. Even if it's "How to repair a bicycle inner-tube."

Something that can engage his mind.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 2,995 times
Default Every child with autism is unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I've been given the task of babysitting an 8 year old child with autism on Saturdays. I'm really happy as I get to take him places. I love working with kids and have many years experience, including kids with autism, but all have been very high functioning thus far. He is non-verbal though and not toilet trained.

His parents want him out of the place on Saturdays so they can get work done including working jobs from home and errands, and they have been mainly using electronics as a babysitter up until now.

The only idea I've really been given is taking him to a park, but some days I'll be watching him for 5-6 hours, and every week at the park can get overdone.

The two challenges I face mostly are finding enough outings to do to not get him bored that don't involve him playing with phones or tablets, and I also have to find out how I'm going to change his diaper when we're out when needed. His mom said usually if we can find a place like a store with a handicapped stall that usually sufficies, but if we're at a park that might be another challenge.

Indoor play places are all closed. I don't know if his motor skills are good enough to teach him anything like bowling. I don't know if he can swim or if that's something his mother is comfortable exploring.

So, help me... Any ideas apperciated Thanks!
Every child with autism is unique, and what works for one child may not work for another. Be patient, flexible, and open to learning and trying new things for the child. Educate yourself about the condition and its symptoms. This will help you understand the child's behavior and needs better. Create a schedule for the child that includes specific times for meals, activities, and rest. Use simple language and visual aids like pictures and diagrams to help the child to understand. Praise the child for good behavior and accomplishments, and use positive reinforcement techniques to encourage desired behaviors. For changing diapers in the park try to find a quiet and private spot if possible. Make sure you have everything you need, such as diapers, wipes, a changing pad, and a plastic bag for disposal. Lay the changing pad down on a clean and flat surface, making sure it is secure and won't move around. If you don't have a changing pad, you can use a blanket or towel instead. Carefully undo the diaper and clean the baby's bottom with wipes. If the baby is a boy, make sure his penis is pointing downwards before fastening the diaper. And don't forget to dispose of the diaper and wipes properly - it's important to keep our parks clean and free from litter. Make sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water or hand sanitizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children