Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 37,035 times

Advertisements

Moving from TX in a couple of weeks with two high energy (think 7 year old boys high on meth) German Shepherds. We also have a toddler, and for obvious reasons the three do not mix without 100% supervision. It's impossible to have them in the house unless she is in bed because they are ALWAYS running around. Here's the problem: here in TX there it is possible to leave them outside all day until she goes to bed, year round because of the lack of cold weather. I'm guessing that won't be possible up there. What do you guys do with your large-breed dogs in the winter? Do they all become in house dogs? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
A lot of people put in doggie doors that go into their garage so the dog can have some shelter but not be inside the house. I have a boxer and a malamute - the malamute loves the winter weather and can stay outside for a long time. The boxer can't stay out too long without starting to shiver, but he's kind of a wimp. In the summer, my malamute likes to lay on top of an air conditioning vent inside! You could also get a dog house and put a dog heater in it for extremely cold winter days.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 PM

438 posts, read 1,797,067 times
Don't mean to be a smart alec, but doesn't Germany get pretty cold? Once they're aclimatized, they might like Spokane winters.
I'm hoping I'll be able to say as much for myself in a year or two! I don't think my dog will though...he's a Mexican Hairless! :~) D

Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
We had a German Shepard when I was a boy...he stayed out.

He did have an insulated dog house, lots of blankets and when it got cold a chick (baby chickens) brooder warmer. The dog seemed to enjoy the cooler and cold weather better than the hot weather.

The only thing we really had to do with him and any other dog we had was pick out the ice balls that would clump up between their toes...

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM

40 posts, read 111,898 times
little late but, dont worry about your GSD in washington. their undercoat is meant for it, if anything your dog will LOVE it. you will need to stuff the dog house though just in case, and if you ever need plans for an insulated dog house, feel free to PM me.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
Default GSDs and Spokane winters

I have 3 GSDs and cats, so it is the same problem as with your child. I did the doggie door into the garage, but they never go in. They prefer to lounge in the snow. They have very thick undercoats to protect them. In fact, the only weather they seem to even notice is hail. They'll dodge under our patio table till it's over.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
I live in a very cold part of Idaho, my Shepherds prefer laying in the snow, than their dog houses. I just put straw in their houses for the coldest part of winter. They don't like the indoors for sleeping, unless it gets below zero. Catching snowflakes is their favorite.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:23 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
given your in tx right now and your sheps are NOT used to the cold (dogs, like people need to aclimiate) id suggest a small space heater and some nice warm dog beds in the garage for the winter and give them free acess during the day but shut them in at night.

then in the spring, let them outside whenever, turn the space heater off and either keep the garage acess for them...
or get a GOOD dog house/shed for protection (from what im reading winters can be long) fill it with a good thick layer of straw...

as the year progresses the undercoat will thicken as the cold aproaches and they will be well aclimated to the weather, a good solid house to break any wind/provide rain coverage and some good DRY straw will provide the rest.

the key is for them to have protection from any drizzle/frezing rain and keep the bedding dry. straw is a wonderfull insulator.

sheps are a breed that can easily handle VERY cold winters if they are properly aclimated.

if your planning on having them in the house at night though (crate training for night time might be a good choice) then a simple 3 sided shelter with the opening facing away from prevailing winds with a good bed of straw would be more than enough.
but i wouldn take them from texas to somewhere with snowy winters and expect them to sleep outside/be comfortable with the cold their first winter...
it would be like taking someone from hawai and putting them in alaska...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area