Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:12 AM

67 posts, read 246,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WX_Watcher View Post
Even though this one is not peculiar to Spokane specifically, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the absense of state income taxes. That's pretty appealing to me.
...Wx Watcher
I didn't mention it because people in this state voted for a second term for our governer who has stated before she wants a state income tax.

This was one of the reasons that we moved here and may be one of the reasons we leave if it comes to pass.

Idaho will look like a better place economically then, it's too bad that people do not think before they vote.

PS My Weather station: Mead, Washington (99021) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:21 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,246 times
Thanks, caseyandmelody, for the encouragement regarding Trader Joe's! I will send an email off letting them know Spokane needs one! Thanks again!

WX_Watcher, I'm so glad you found this post and that is encouraging to you. Every place has it's things people don't care for, and Spokane is no exception, but honestly, I love it. It's just a great place to live and to raise a family...and to retire. Blessings!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:49 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredChef View Post
I didn't mention it because people in this state voted for a second term for our governer who has stated before she wants a state income tax.

This was one of the reasons that we moved here and may be one of the reasons we leave if it comes to pass.

Idaho will look like a better place economically then, it's too bad that people do not think before they vote.

PS My Weather station: Mead, Washington (99021) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground
I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it and hopefully resist the temptation to jump off of it! lol.
We'll now return to our previously scheduled programming, "I Love Spokane!" Having pointed out this unfortunate negative, we can get back to all the positive feedback and happy thoughts we can get. :~) D

Old 03-09-2009, 03:23 PM

I also love...

the Japanese Gardens
the Spokane Opera House (although it's not called that anymore, is it?)
all the beautiful parks
the libraries
all the different weather but no extreme, regularly-occurring natural disasters

Okay, I may have repeated some, I'm not sure, but I wanted to get the list going again and these are what came to my mind right away.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 AM

5 posts, read 24,441 times
Biggest positives of Spokane:

People ARE nicer here than in many other places (I've lived in San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Mississippi)
Seattle is 4hr away - actually, I wish it was farther. Contrary to popular belief, people in Spokane do NOT automatically pine for living in Seattle or Portland. Many of us CHOSE to live here & don't 'secretly' wish otherwise. Personally, I hate Seattle & Portland - if you want a liberal San Francisco wannabe, then by all means, I'd recommend moving to either one asap.
Weather isn't bad at all. Summers are awesome (and not too short). Spring is a bit wet. Fall is awesome. Winter is hit or miss. There is always something to do outside.
Bloomsday/Hoopfest - enough said. Both are well-run & a great way to see a very broad representation of what makes this a great place
The lakes & mountains that are within a short drive
The Centennial Trail - way underappreciated
Spokane River downtown with the falls - good luck on finding this spectacle ANYWHERE else in the middle of an urban downtown
No hurricanes, no tornadoes, very rare earthquakes, no hurricanes, no big bugs, no humidity, no hurricanes (sorry, Ivan & Katrina really reinforced my desire to get out of MS as soon as possible - both really sucked!)

Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanative View Post
Biggest positives of Spokane:

People ARE nicer here than in many other places (I've lived in San Diego, Phoenix, Chicago, Mississippi)
Seattle is 4hr away - actually, I wish it was farther. Contrary to popular belief, people in Spokane do NOT automatically pine for living in Seattle or Portland. Many of us CHOSE to live here & don't 'secretly' wish otherwise. Personally, I hate Seattle & Portland - if you want a liberal San Francisco wannabe, then by all means, I'd recommend moving to either one asap.
Weather isn't bad at all. Summers are awesome (and not too short). Spring is a bit wet. Fall is awesome. Winter is hit or miss. There is always something to do outside.
Bloomsday/Hoopfest - enough said. Both are well-run & a great way to see a very broad representation of what makes this a great place
The lakes & mountains that are within a short drive
The Centennial Trail - way underappreciated
Spokane River downtown with the falls - good luck on finding this spectacle ANYWHERE else in the middle of an urban downtown
No hurricanes, no tornadoes, very rare earthquakes, no hurricanes, no big bugs, no humidity, no hurricanes (sorry, Ivan & Katrina really reinforced my desire to get out of MS as soon as possible - both really sucked!)
I agree with all of this! People really are so very nice in Spokane. Spokane is a place like no other I've been to, and its people are just a unique, special group (in a nice way ).

I've never wished I was a Seattle or Portland dweller. I think most people who live in Spokane do so because they choose to live there. It's a very different culture and mindset in Spokane, and in my opinion better. Just very down-to-earth, friendly, simple.

I do love the weather. All four seasons, not any too awful, and in fact overall very enjoyable. Winter is mild compared to Wisconsin.

Love the falls and trails in Spokane. How many cities have that?!

Love all the outdoor rec stuff so close to Spokane. Love all the beauty so close to Spokane...and right IN Spokane.

Spokane, overall you're a really special place, filled with really special people and opportunities, surrounded by a lot of special beauty.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:46 PM

19 posts, read 102,269 times
The reason we don't mention the lack of an income tax is that we have 9.x% sales tax rate and property taxes up the wazoo. I own land in Chattaroy and near Spangle and I am charged $1400 annually on the Spangle property (6.5 acres with my home on it) and almost $900 on the Chattaroy property (undeveloped 7acres). Income taxes suck, but the government always finds a way to get theirs in the end. And the non-elected governor will not like the reaction to a income tax proposal on either side of the state I am sure.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:15 PM

89 posts, read 237,444 times
Spokane is a hell hole. If you enjoy living, stay away. Search for "i hate spokane" (with quotes) in your favorite search engine. I despise this hell hole. Spokane = death. Many of these forums are posted by people in the city and county government to deceive you. Don't feed the brain drain that is sh*tkan. I hate it here.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Yes, that's right. The people posting here are conspiring to deceive everyone. All of us.

bitko, hope you can find someplace you're happy.

...and back to the OP, I'd like to second the no bugs thing (...and just about everything else.) If anyone disagrees who's spent much time in Spokane, come see me. I'm now live in the South and I'll show you bugs. Some big enough to arm wrestle. Their size and variety can be, well, impressive.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitko View Post
Spokane is a hell hole. If you enjoy living, stay away. Search for "i hate spokane" (with quotes) in your favorite search engine. I despise this hell hole. Spokane = death. Many of these forums are posted by people in the city and county government to deceive you. Don't feed the brain drain that is sh*tkan. I hate it here.
Part of the vast "Right Wing" conspiracy, right? They're trying to lure unsuspecting, happy people into Spokane so that they can brainwash them over to the dark side. yeah. :~) D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area