Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Baseball needs to cut the games down to 82 like NBA and a better playoff structure.
hell no....I like the fact that there's baseball on just about every night of the week from April through October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:52 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
hell no....I like the fact that there's baseball on just about every night of the week from April through October.
Why the need for 162 games?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Why the need for 162 games?
The better question is: why not?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Baseball's my favorite sport (Red Sox) and I watch them whenever they're on nationally or when the play the Orioles (MASN) But I follow them daily on the computer. I also watch whoever is playing nationally

Football's next as I'm a Raider fan and 2 or 3 times a year I go to sportsbars to watch them. Otherwise I follow Sunday's on my computer.

Hockey comes in next (congrats to my Bruins) I watch whenever my Bruins are on nationally, and I follow my Bruins on the computer, but I don't watch if my Bruins aren't playing unless it's the playoffs.

I have very little interest in pro basketball.

but I love the Syracuse Orange in college hoops (not sure if this counts) and who doesn't love March madness?

I also find room for Nascar ( Bifflle and the rest of the Fords).

I really don't watch anything live, I work overnights and watch a game or two in the mornings that I have on my DVR.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
The better question is: why not?
Why do we need it? Plus its the longest season out of all. On top of this there is would 1 wildcard team that will make it out of each leagues.

Why not expand the playoff structure?

NBA and NHL play 82 games.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Quote:
Why do we need it? Plus its the longest season out of all. On top of this there is would 1 wildcard team that will make it out of each leagues.

Why not expand the playoff structure?

NBA and NHL play 82 games.
good question Texas,

MLB used to be the toughest of all the major sports to make the playoffs, as late as the early 90's MLB was still only taking the top 2 teams in each league. So the 162 games were used, so the cream always rose to the top.

Now MLB rewards the top 4 teams in each league and there's talk of expanding the playoffs again to allow the top 5 in each league to reach.

as much as I hated the wild card at the beginning, it's been good for baseball.

More teams in the playoff chase is always a good thing.

so soon there will be 10 team in the playoffs each season, and I question whether 162 games is still needed

If you're going to reward mediocrity, why not cut it at 140 games? that way the season will end before Halloween?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
exactly -even if they keep the current structure the 162 makes sense as it determines without a doubt the teams that have really performed

in other sports they take such a high number of teams with a shorter season

also, for the pure # of months that the season lasts - MLB really isn't any different than the NBA and NHL and is only a bit longer than the NFL

they just play more games, but the yearly calendar isn't that much different ... instead of 3 a week, they play 6

Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM

I am a Giants fan. I remember Giants won 103 games that one year and missed the playoffs and the following year, they had Wildcard in effect.

Just put 82 and baseball will be a lot more exciting then it is. Also cut the innings to 7.

After 7 innings, if its a tie, its a tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
good question Texas,

MLB used to be the toughest of all the major sports to make the playoffs, as late as the early 90's MLB was still only taking the top 2 teams in each league. So the 162 games were used, so the cream always rose to the top.

Now MLB rewards the top 4 teams in each league and there's talk of expanding the playoffs again to allow the top 5 in each league to reach.

as much as I hated the wild card at the beginning, it's been good for baseball.

More teams in the playoff chase is always a good thing.

so soon there will be 10 team in the playoffs each season, and I question whether 162 games is still needed

If you're going to reward mediocrity, why not cut it at 140 games? that way the season will end before Halloween?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM

325 posts, read 787,701 times
First, I want to respond to the baseball discussion.

I would keep it at 162 games, but start decreasing how long games are back to the levels they used to be, like two to 2-1/2 hours. That would help a lot. Also, get back to having the playoffs being played every day instead of having multiple days off in a row. With how it is now, teams play 6-7 days a week during the regular season then nowhere close to that in the playoffs. Last year the Giants won the World Series and played somewhat normal lengths of playoff series (lengths of 4, 6 and 5 games with maximum possibilities of 5, 7 and 7, respectively) with 15 playoff games played in a 29-day span.

In response to the general topic ...

Personally I followed all four sports - and still do to a lesser extant - with more of a preference for the outdoor sports (baseball and football) over the indoor ones (basketball and hockey). However, the more I have gotten into soccer the less my interest has been for the other four. But when I do, it is definitely football and baseball ahead of basketball and hockey, especially considering Seattle does not have an NBA or an NHL team.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM

How about them SF Giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports