Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2012, 09:10 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times

Advertisements

Belts change because of weekly television and monthly pay-per-views. Lengthy reigns like Bruno Sammartino and Pedro Morales of Hulk Hogan in the mid 80s didn't have as much exposure. Things have to stay fresh but they could easily do 6 to 12 month reigns. No one can carry one promotion like they could in the old days. Especially not dullards like Brock and Cena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 50,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Belts change because of weekly television and monthly pay-per-views. Lengthy reigns like Bruno Sammartino and Pedro Morales of Hulk Hogan in the mid 80s didn't have as much exposure. Things have to stay fresh but they could easily do 6 to 12 month reigns. No one can carry one promotion like they could in the old days. Especially not dullards like Brock and Cena.

im going to have to disagree with you on that one. I think Cena can easily carry the belt for over a year. He is the face of the company and more then 50% of the WWE Universe love him. Cm Punk has had it since survivor series 2011 and it doesnt look like he is going to loose it anytime soon. Although he might at night of champions which would make me sad

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxventanaxx View Post
im going to have to disagree with you on that one. I think Cena can easily carry the belt for over a year. He is the face of the company and more then 50% of the WWE Universe love him. Cm Punk has had it since survivor series 2011 and it doesnt look like he is going to loose it anytime soon. Although he might at night of champions which would make me sad
They're getting ready to do something with Punk, Heyman, and Lesnar.

WATCH!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,303 times
...and I think Jerry Lawler is done wrestling. Dude suffered a heart attack shortly after his tag match tonight and he collapsed in mid-commentary during another match.

I was thinking during that match why a 61 yr old guy who doesn't have to wrestle is still doing it.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:31 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
I was thinking during that match why a 61 yr old guy who doesn't have to wrestle is still doing it.
Either he loves the sport that much or his boss is forcing him to do it as part of the job.. lets wish him the best in his recovery..

Old 09-11-2012, 11:33 AM

563 posts, read 1,270,303 times
Definite combination of the two. Lawler was slated for matches on the indie scene in a couple of weeks, so no pressure from McMahon there, but at the same time, I'd imagine that the WWE environment is so competitive and antagonistic, he almost felt compelled to compete every now and then, in an effort to "give back and teach the younger talent".

Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM

51 posts, read 52,463 times
Bret looks like a dead man walking which is really sad to see!

Jerry had a tag team match last night? If so, at least he did not suffer a heart attack during the match, it could have been a lot worse, Jerry being knocked out in the ring and the other wrestlers not knowing that he suffered a heart attack as the match continues...

I hope Jerry will retire for the sake of his own health

Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM

51 posts, read 52,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
...and I think Jerry Lawler is done wrestling. Dude suffered a heart attack shortly after his tag match tonight and he collapsed in mid-commentary during another match.

He is 62 but close enough

Old 09-12-2012, 12:23 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
When I heard Cole say the words "This is NOT part of the entertainment...", I just got this chill down my spine. Brought back a bad memory...

Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 PM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
Wrestling is a sport / industry from which few seem to retire. They either die relatively young, or stay with it until they die in their 50s or 60s. I watched WWF and WCW in high school some 15 years ago, and when I turn it on now half the people wrestling today were doing it in their 30s and 40s back then. Maybe it's in their blood, maybe they never learned how to do anything else, or maybe they never made enough money to save anything for older age, but shows large and small are comprised of a lot of guys a decade or two (or more) past their physical prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports