Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
...and I think Jerry Lawler is done wrestling. Dude suffered a heart attack shortly after his tag match tonight and he collapsed in mid-commentary during another match.

I was thinking during that match why a 61 yr old guy who doesn't have to wrestle is still doing it.
well Rick Flair and Hulk Hogan are so banged up and old that they only went to TNA to get a paycheque since both made huge sums of money but blew it all I mean Hogan had at one point in the mid-90's had net worth of over $300Milion but with lawsuits ans a messy divorce along with spending like crazy to keep up the image and lifestyle they were used to wiped him out and Flair was the orginal big spender that partied hard and spent the money as fast as he made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:28 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
When Hulk Hogan was 57, Vince McMahon wanted him to sign a 20 year contract with the WWE, that was the only way he would allow him back. So Hogan had to be Vince's slave until he was 77. I understand that these wrestlers earned and squandored fortunes, but Vince is no angel either. I think Lawlor has some obligations to fulfill and Vince is fine with him battering his body around as a senior citizen. Vince couldn't care less about his "legends" going out with some dignity. Same way he had Pat Patterson and Jerry Brisco, at the age of 60, fighting in a demoralizing "evening gown match". Vince is a crude business man, and many of these wrestlers live hard lives. A lot of them make it harder on themselves than it needs to be with partying and drugs. Lawlor seems like a guy who didn't really squandor his success and it would seem no one is holding a gun to his head, but I have to wonder if he really wants to be flopping around in the squared circle at age 62 if he wasn't bound by some sort of contract obligation.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Not sure if other sports have a similar list for deceased participants but scrolling down this site gives a heck of a lot of deceased wrestlers..
GARY WILL: Deceased Pro Wrestlers -- A Tribute to Mat Stars of the Past -- Dead Wrestlers

Old 09-18-2012, 07:14 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
The list is not that staggering.. its basically a list of every wrestler who has ever died.. a lot are in their 70s, 80s... I am sure there are many many more baseball players who have died as well as football players. The scary thing is the number of 30/40 year olds and the cause of their deaths. Many died of heart disease, many to drug use and a few to suicide. There is obviously a problem in professional wrestling with drug use, steroid use and head trauma... pro wrestling and especially the big guys like WWE could do themselves a huge favor by doing serious drug testing to discourage their wrestlers from using.. perhaps they are but it does'nt look to be effective.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:15 AM

Heres another list noting cause of death..
Wrestling Book » Dead Wrestlers List

Old 09-19-2012, 06:00 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
IS it just me Or...?

I tried to watch an epsiode recently of the product WWE had on TV and I really did not like it. Now I know they have good ratings and they are making money which is all that matters in the Biz, but honestly, I just was not entertained. I'd prefer the local old scool INDY league as oppoed to the soap operatic drama of the curren WWE

Anyone else like the old school rasslin better ?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,439 times
I much prefer the "potatoes over stuffing", as the saying goes. All this soap opera crap has really turned me off over the years. If you have it or can get it, pay for WWE Classics OnDemand, and contrast anything on there with what is on today. It's depressing how little these guys actually wrestle anymore.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:40 AM

If you like actual wrestling the WWE is not what it once was as most of the show is devoted to storylines, i think i read somewhere in a 2 hour show theres only 24 minutes of actual wrestling..
Personally i do find the WWE product going through a bit of a boring phase but after watching wrestling since the early 60's the actual wrestling is not what grabs my attention anymore,storylines are what i find interesting as the actual wrestling is a somewhat tired and redundant affair.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If you like actual wrestling the WWE is not what it once was as most of the show is devoted to storylines, i think i read somewhere in a 2 hour show theres only 24 minutes of actual wrestling..
Personally i do find the WWE product going through a bit of a boring phase but after watching wrestling since the early 60's the actual wrestling is not what grabs my attention anymore,storylines are what i find interesting as the actual wrestling is a somewhat tired and redundant affair.
THREE hours, now....

Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Looks like Ryback is getting the push,wonder if he;ll get the belt? He certainly strikes an imposing figure in the ring, kinda reminds me of Batista.As yet i havent heard him speak much..Feeed Meee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports