Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Tennis is popular in America;just not as popular as say Golf as individual sport. Golf just maybe the most popular of any sport worldwide. I use to play but a shoulder injury prevents it now. But I have knoiwn fellow workers to take lessons and take it up just because its the networking sport of business.

Popularity is not just how many people participate in a sport. It's also how many spectators you have for the sport, at the events and on television.

So sure its more popular than lets say... cycling. But if had to rank sports in the US. Where do you think Tennis would rank in popularity?

My guess is it would definitely be toward the bottom...

Football
Baseball & Softball
Basketball
Auto Racing (Any type)
Soccer
Golf
Hockey
Track & Field
Tennis
Volleyball
Lacrosse
Cycling
Skiing

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-29-2012 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
My fav sports to watch as a spectator......

NFL Football
PGA Golf
MLB
NBA
NHL
NASCAR
All others (Olympic games, World Cup Soccer).

Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
My fav sports to watch as a spectator......

NFL Football
PGA Golf
MLB
NBA
NHL
NASCAR
All others (Olympic games, World Cup Soccer).
My favorites to watch:
Soccer
Hockey
Baseball
Football
Tennis
Olympic style/endurance sports
Basketball
Golf

Old 05-30-2012, 11:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,999,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
For Americans that will only watch Americans, John Isner is ranked #10 and could do reasonably well at Roland Garros and beyond.
Yeah - but until he wins a Grand Slam - casual tennis fans and the non-fans won't care or even bother to find out who he is.

John, who?

Serena lost in the first round in Paris - so now it is Andy Murray(finally got his name right), John Isner, and Venus. Woohoo!

Actualy - I heard that ten Americans are moving on to the next round which is supposed to be pretty good. But once again - unless someone is a diehard tennis fan - no one will know who they are or bother to watch them. I used to follow road running(marathons, 10K's), and cross country really closely. At one point I could name 15-20 Kenyan runners whose names were obscure to anyone but a big running fan. I can't do it anymore - mainly because I don't follow running like I did back then. Tennis is another one of those sports where if you are a true fan - you will know everything about it - like who John Isner is - like I used to who Tegla Loroupe and Paul Tergat(and a lot more obscure personalities then those two!) were. So don't get down on those of us who don't follow tennis like you do and just can't figure out the Federer/Nadal hype. It just isn't our thing.

Last edited by Harrier; 05-30-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Too much effort for typical couch potato Americans; not enough money for aspiring pro atheletes.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Tennis is another one of those sports where if you are a true fan - you will know everything about it - like who John Isner is - like I used to who Tegla Loroupe and Paul Tergat(and a lot more obscure personalities then those two!) were. So don't get down on those of us who don't follow tennis like you do and just can't figure out the Federer/Nadal hype. It just isn't our thing.

Well said...

Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,407 times
I suspect a part of the reason Tennis isn't more popular in the U.S. is due to its historic disciplined and polite sport, which extends into the attending sports fans.

As for myself, I get up early to watch the majors. Just now saw the Dimitrov/Gasguet match. It was tragic, awesome, and inspirational all at once. Dimitrov will be a champion within a few years... or less.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:41 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times
I hear people yelling out during play all the time and have seen my share of ugly tennis players mistreating officials. I'm not sure it's the same "polite" sport that it was in the 1800s.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I hear people yelling out during play all the time and have seen my share of ugly tennis players mistreating officials. I'm not sure it's the same "polite" sport that it was in the 1800s.
You must admit it's much more polite than many other sports. Being a "gentleman/lady" is very important in tennis.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yeah - but until he wins a Grand Slam - casual tennis fans and the non-fans won't care or even bother to find out who he is.

John, who?

Serena lost in the first round in Paris - so now it is Andy Murray(finally got his name right), John Isner, and Venus. Woohoo!

Actualy - I heard that ten Americans are moving on to the next round which is supposed to be pretty good. But once again - unless someone is a diehard tennis fan - no one will know who they are or bother to watch them. I used to follow road running(marathons, 10K's), and cross country really closely. At one point I could name 15-20 Kenyan runners whose names were obscure to anyone but a big running fan. I can't do it anymore - mainly because I don't follow running like I did back then. Tennis is another one of those sports where if you are a true fan - you will know everything about it - like who John Isner is - like I used to who Tegla Loroupe and Paul Tergat(and a lot more obscure personalities then those two!) were. So don't get down on those of us who don't follow tennis like you do and just can't figure out the Federer/Nadal hype. It just isn't our thing.
Then why follow tennis at all? I'm sorry but if you can't figure out Federer/Nadal then you can't really even be a casual fan. It's like watching baseball and knowing nothing about the Yankees. You may not be their fans but you at least understand why they are so hated/loved. I don't watch sports (all the time) to just see the "good guys" win, I watch to see a high level of competition and a high level of play. I'd rather watch two great non-Americans play rather than watch two mediocre Americans play just because they're Americans. I watch Olympic/world soccer competitions even if there are no Americans because I want to watch greatness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports