Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:47 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not until you get bored repeating the number of gold medals.
I've mentioned it in total... twice. In threads about... Phelps (surprise huh).

Your monomania with cheerleading for China (on every forum and in every thread, either directly or sometimes obviously and hilariously indirectly) currently runs to about 15,000 posts.

I guess being paid by the party to shill on internet boards pays the bills tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 04:07 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Hey, USA... MORE medals, please!

Old 08-17-2016, 10:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeasher View Post
He came in 2nd yesterday, and his wins were all split seconds, he is no Ledeckey. Sorry not trying to be harsh but we live in a harsh world and he is not exception. He is mediocre he figured out a way to gain medals but he has not shown immortality in anyway the singapore boy was immortal yesterday
Feel as you want, this is a free world, but the praise for Phelph's goes way beyond one race or one season. He is the greatest swimmer ever and will hold that honor for many years to come.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Feel as you want, this is a free world, but the praise for Phelph's goes way beyond one race or one season. He is the greatest swimmer ever and will hold that honor for many years to come.
he is indeed the greatest swimmer ever. That's probably indisputable.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeasher View Post
He came in 2nd yesterday, and his wins were all split seconds, he is no Ledeckey. Sorry not trying to be harsh but we live in a harsh world and he is not exception. He is mediocre he figured out a way to gain medals but he has not shown immortality in anyway the singapore boy was immortal yesterday
I can't believe you honestly would say he is "mediocre" It isn't one Olympic event or even a dozen, it is what he has done over years and years. So you don't like him or maybe you just don't like the media but say or post all you want: it doesn't change the fact: He is the greatest!!! What you are saying is like saying a triple crown winner isn't the greatest race horse at that particular time. It doesn't make any difference how closely he wins or loses, it matters "if he wins" I am guessing you never competed in sports, certainly not one that requires a stop watch.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:22 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianreligions View Post
Lets all hope you don't think swimming is popular and like track and field, etc...
Swimming is as popular or more so than the track and field. Gymnastics is the most popular.

I rarely watch track and field, since it's boring to me. I watch gymnastics and swimming.

Look at who makes the most in endorsements. In recent years, it's been Michael Phelps and other swimmers, and gymnasts. Few track and field Olympians...the last one I recall who got a lot in endorsements was Bruce Jenner.

But one event is not better than any other. It's a matter of what each viewer prefers to watch. Most happen to prefer swimming and gymnastics. But track and field is just as important. So is table tennis, archery, shooting, etc.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:23 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't believe you honestly would say he is "mediocre" It isn't one Olympic event or even a dozen, it is what he has done over years and years. So you don't like him or maybe you just don't like the media but say or post all you want: it doesn't change the fact: He is the greatest!!! What you are saying is like saying a triple crown winner isn't the greatest race horse at that particular time. It doesn't make any difference how closely he wins or loses, it matters "if he wins" I am guessing you never competed in sports, certainly not one that requires a stop watch.
I think she's not knowledgeable about the Olympics, and just watched a couple of races. She doesn't seem to know he's broken more world records than any other male swimmer. She seems to think that winning races that results in more gold medals than anyone else in the world is a tricky way to get medals. LOL.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Swimming is as popular or more so than the track and field. Gymnastics is the most popular.

I rarely watch track and field, since it's boring to me. I watch gymnastics and swimming.

Look at who makes the most in endorsements. In recent years, it's been Michael Phelps and other swimmers, and gymnasts. Few track and field Olympians...the last one I recall who got a lot in endorsements was Bruce Jenner.

But one event is not better than any other. It's a matter of what each viewer prefers to watch. Most happen to prefer swimming and gymnastics. But track and field is just as important. So is table tennis, archery, shooting, etc.
you are exactly right; where anyone gets the idea, because they like a particular sport it is more interesting or more popular than another is crazy.

For us, because our kids and grandkids were competitive swimmers for years, the swimming events are popular with us. I love gymnastics as well. Hubby likes track and field and we love diving.

Because we are not into tennis, wrestling, archery, etc. we do not watch the competition but it doesn't mean the athletes are any less trained or important to some.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:31 PM

167 posts, read 125,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think if they allowed running across the top of the water as a swimming event, Michael Phelps would give Jesus Christ a run for his money
Haha!

Well, they probably gave that a thought. It seems that they have a TON of these different swimming competitions there for all the different ways to swim and a bunch of distances and combinations of ways to swim, etc.

For someone like me who doesn't follow swimming outside of Olympics at all, it's pretty amazing how many Olympic medals they distribute for swimming!

Old 08-20-2016, 03:33 AM

908 posts, read 1,419,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
Haha!

Well, they probably gave that a thought. It seems that they have a TON of these different swimming competitions there for all the different ways to swim and a bunch of distances and combinations of ways to swim, etc.

For someone like me who doesn't follow swimming outside of Olympics at all, it's pretty amazing how many Olympic medals they distribute for swimming!
medals given for swimming (including open water):36
medals given for track and field: 57
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports