Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times

Advertisements

Not boycotting it, but, not as interested as I used to be.

I much prefer College Football.

Kneeling, fists raised.. I could give two craps about that stuff. Kneel away boys. Domestic Violence, Deflategate, etc.. Don't care either.. If you work with 100 men, probably 5 of them (at a minimum) are beating their wives, and I don't see anyone boycotting their jobs.

Really, my problems are:

The games take forever with the millions of delays, reviews, commercials, etc. My wife loves football, and yesterday she said "is there one play that doesn't get reviewed anymore?"

Gameplay seems to be subpar, especially in the beginning of the season.

And, its on too much.. and I love football in general.. But Thursday, Sunday, Monday.. too much.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Oh yeah, we never watch any team except the Patriots.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:21 PM

581 posts, read 456,755 times
The games are becoming way too dragged out. All the injury time-outs, reviews, commercials etc., are ruining the momentum. It's like one play happens and they stop for five minutes. Then maybe two plays in a row and they stop for something else. It's become too frustrating and most of the teams just aren't that interesting to watch.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:54 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
ratings have been in a decline ever since they stopped showing the marching bands during half-time
So true! The "talking heads" that fill up air time are too much. Bring back the bands!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:08 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The LA Rams claimed 56,612 vs Washington. That will always look small in the 94,000 seat LA Coliseum. You could have bought tickets for the Rams 1st home game against the Colts for $6 and yet they still had a 1/2 empty LA Coliseum.The Chargers could not sell out the 27,000 seat soccer stadium where they played this past Sunday. The NFL has short memories and forgot why they left LA - poor attendance. Dopes.

The NFL dropped the non-profit status in 2015. They no longer have to publish Goodell's salary.

A big issue for NFL attendance is related to the price to see a live game. Parking, seat licenses, tickets and food, when added up, are out of reach for many fans. Add in that you can watch many of the games on 60" HD tvs on your own couch and on your computer, or multiple games at your local bar for way cheaper and fans choose not to go to the games.
They left because the city of Los Angeles and the surrounding cities refused to build and pay for a new stadium with luxury boxes for either the Raiders or the Rams ownership. Just as soon as a new Ram owner decided to speculate on real estate and build his own stadium a second team moved to town to rent the space on weeks that the Rams were away.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,219,354 times
Not playing fantasy football anymore. I haven't actually watched a Denver Broncos season since getting married in '11. Some of this is DW not allowing me to watch but I really don't enjoy it anymore. Some of it is related to CTE. It also has to deal with players being so much larger and faster than they were in the 1970's and 1980's that the game now resembles basketball. Teams that do play defense are often big winners but they also injure more players on both sides of the ball. I was aghast that Fox now airs commercials during the huddle inside the game.

I get the feeling the game has been passed by as modern training methods and near-pro college teams keep raising the bar. When the NFL does falter, it will falter further than anyone thinks as the number of kids playing in HS and youth football leagues continues to decline.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 PM
46H

1,653 posts, read 1,402,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
They left because the city of Los Angeles and the surrounding cities refused to build and pay for a new stadium with luxury boxes for either the Raiders or the Rams ownership. Just as soon as a new Ram owner decided to speculate on real estate and build his own stadium a second team moved to town to rent the space on weeks that the Rams were away.
They were drawing 45k while playing in Anaheim in the early 1990s and most of the games were blacked out in LA - a sure fire way to lose fans and money. The LA area had no money at the time to build a stadium and the Rams poor finances compounded the issue. Then owner Georgia Frontiere threatened the NFL with a lawsuit and they caved for her move to St L in 1995.

The current billionaire owner Stan Kroenke is building his own stadium in LA - as it should be. It remains to be seen if this will draw LA fans to the Rams and Charger games.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:20 AM

939 posts, read 506,388 times
Speaking of lack of quality teams and games worth watching week in and week out, I noticed the premiere game that CBS has at 4:25 this Sunday. The featured game- the best CBS could do (drumroll please)...Cincinnati at Green Bay- uggh!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
They were drawing 45k while playing in Anaheim in the early 1990s and most of the games were blacked out in LA - a sure fire way to lose fans and money. The LA area had no money at the time to build a stadium and the Rams poor finances compounded the issue. Then owner Georgia Frontiere threatened the NFL with a lawsuit and they caved for her move to St L in 1995.

The current billionaire owner Stan Kroenke is building his own stadium in LA - as it should be. It remains to be seen if this will draw LA fans to the Rams and Charger games.
I'm new to the LA area but I work at a large company and know hundreds of people here.. I have yet to hear one person excited about NFL football in LA. One of my best friends is a Chargers fan here (he's originally from San Diego) and hates the fact that they are here. I asked him about it yesterday in fact.

In my opinion, this is a Raiders town (along with USC) and people are really ambivalent towards the teams being here. Once the new stadium opens up, it will be a novelty for the first year, but, unless these teams start winning, no one will care.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM

518 posts, read 1,053,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Not boycotting it. How the league handled Ray Rice, Deflategate, Colin Kapernick, or any other of these scandals makes no difference to me.

Simply put, the fantasy football bubble and 7 day a week incessant coverage of all things NFL is ridiculous. I don't care about their tweets, or anything else.

I like to see a good football game, not much else aside from the injury report.

The overabundance turned me off to it.
Yep. That's an understatement. Where I am they talk football 365 days/year. Endless pointless speculation. I'll never understand people who attend draft days...let alone watch it on TV.

I kid you not, I heard on the radio this am two "fans" were picketing at the practice facility for the Eagles to "run the ball more" from 5:30 am on......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports