Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

Women's figure skating tonight,short program!

Can't wait, the Russians should kick butt. Americans have a long shot at medaling.

Arcadia's Mirai Nagasu is the best chance U.S. women's figure skating has to end its medal drought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I can't stand when Canadians win competitions for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I find the countrymen arrogant. I'm on a border state, been to three provinces, have Canadians in my family - find that they generally have an arrogant view of Americans.
Hmmm...

A bit off the Olympic topic, I suppose, but yes... I've recently been noticing how Canadian posters respond even here on C-D -- in whatever topics are being discussed -- and they generally seem to talk down to or scold Americans for whatever it is they do - or don't do! Whenever I watch a Canadian program (eg: Murdoch's Mysteries), Americans are usually treated as condescending braggarts.

I'm not sure I totally understand the animosity, but I'm generally aware of the attitudes.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:01 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Hmmm...

A bit off the Olympic topic, I suppose, but yes... I've recently been noticing how Canadian posters respond even here on C-D -- in whatever topics are being discussed -- and they generally seem to talk down to or scold Americans for whatever it is they do - or don't do! Whenever I watch a Canadian program (eg: Murdoch's Mysteries), Americans are usually treated as condescending braggarts.

I'm not sure I totally understand the animosity, but I'm generally aware of the attitudes.
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but in general Canada is way more regressive than America.

It's akin to California thinking they are superior to, say, Kentucky or Texas.

I don't think that that is an opinion, either. I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest it.

Any way back to the topic at hand...

Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I can't stand when Canadians win competitions for some reason.
Wow. Xenophobia lives.

I don't mind it at all when the Canadians win! I'll be rooting for the Canadian women's hockey team tomorrow night.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM

Been a few good skaters but mostly meh to me.

Still a ways from the big gunners. At least an American is still in first.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Been a few good skaters but mostly meh to me.

Still a ways from the big gunners. At least an American is still in first.
Skating 1st was usually the kiss of death under 6.0.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Skating 1st was usually the kiss of death under 6.0.
She's still there.

Other two Americans being introduced now.

Last group will have the heavy favorites

Old 02-20-2018, 09:25 PM

At least Mirai went for it.

Sakamoto and Choi were amazing.

But here comes the last group!

Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
T&D were ICE DANCERS and the requirements were much different for that discipline in those days. There were no required elements like twizzle sequences; in fact, the rules were more about what you couldn't do than what was allowed. In Peggy's day school figures were 60% of the score (that changed to 50/50 in the 1968-1969 season) and women were only just starting to attempt triple jumps (IIRC 1965 World Champion Petra Burka was the 1st woman to do a triple in competition).

And AFAIK the Zayak rule is still in place - you can only repeat a triple (probably quads now too) once.

If you were a serious fan of the sport you would be able to find the resources to learn about the judging system. It is very different from the old 6.0 system, and it has been used for over 10 years (first Olympics that used it was 2006). FSUniverse is probably the most comprehensive discussion board for the sport.
lol. Without even realizing it, you made my point for me. As a reminder, I said:

Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia
And skating is now full of extra jumps, kicks and throws. Torvill and Dean never did that, nor did Peggy Fleming.

Of course it's different now than it was then. That's the meaning of the word "now" in my post. And in case you missed it, yes, ice dancers now really DO engage in lifts, throws, tosses, swirls, twizzles, dizzles, and all that stuff.

And as a side note, I didn't realize one must be a "serious fan" of any sport to post in this thread. If I were a serious fan, I wouldn't be here. I would likely be on FSUniverse, wherever that is! lol.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:24 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
They need to start including barrel jumping in the Winter Olympics, also luge-cross where there are multiple lugers luging down the luge track at the same time.

also, with all of our experience, how come we fare so badly in the shooting disciplines? Wrong kind of weapons being used?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports