Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:52 AM

743 posts, read 2,068,580 times

Advertisements

Divers dive into the water. Gymnasts land on their feet. Hard. Doing that repeatedly (say over 1000 times) can be damaging. Diving in the water is diving in the water. How injurious can that be, unless you land wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Divers dive into the water. Gymnasts land on their feet. Hard. Doing that repeatedly (say over 1000 times) can be damaging. Diving in the water is diving in the water. How injurious can that be, unless you land wrong.
Probably true, but irrelevant. Each sport makes its own decision. I'd personally rather not see children competing in the Olympics. Even 16 is young.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Well, 10m platform divers hit the water going 35mph ... that's gotta hurt some doing that over and over again.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:05 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,766 times
as a former gymnast, gymnastics judge and current team coach and competitive gymnast mom, I am all for the 16yr old age requirement. Its true, theres some girls that couldve been there, done that and done it wonderfully, (ie. Nastia the last olympics!) but i think the overwhelming majority benefits more w/the min. age set.
That is, of course, as long as people are following the rules......

Old 08-23-2008, 09:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
As a former gymnastics mom, I agree with Tiffela.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,359,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I applaud the Chinese. They have been gracious hosts for the Games this year. .
Really? Did you try to take a sat phone or literature into China? Did you try to wear a Free Tibet T-shirt to a venue? HMMM?

cbs11tv.com - Customs Officials In China Confiscates 300 Bibles From American Christians (http://cbs11tv.com/national/china.seizes.bibles.2.797329.html - broken link)

And the Chinese either stole the tickets or did not sell them.

Empty seats are a mystery at Beijing Olympics - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post

Their young stars are the wave of the future. It is increasingly the reality that top athletes are younger than ever before. .
[/quote]

Really? There are a lot of Olympians who are > 25.

The Chinese cheated - both on the ages and on their judging.

A Second Hand Conjecture » Further Proof That China Cheated

Pajamas Media » Chinese Gymnasts Investigated for Cheating? Blame the USA!

SportingNews.com - The Sporting Blog - Chinese Swimmers, Possibly Cheating? No!!

They ruined much of their economy and disrupted peoples' possessions and lives to run the Olympics.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26357038/ (broken link)

Koreans Jittery About China’s Post-Olympic Economic Hangover

Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
It was the most superficially stunning Olympics ever. I enjoyed them immensely, but I had the feeling that there was a very seedy underbelly at play. I'm sure we'll hear more and more stories. Good thing we aren't in China writing this.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:35 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,292,323 times
They said on Dan Patricks show they put two seventy year old women in work camps for trying to protest. Yea this country knows the true meaning of the Olympic spirit MONEY.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The age restriction was instituted b/c of public outrage during the 1992 Olympics regarding how small the gymnasts were. It should not be changed, IMO. Gymnasts are prone to eating disorders as it is; if the Olympic gymnasts had to compete with 14 yr olds (for example) it would just encourage more gymnasts to develop EDs, especially as they get older.

I agree with those points.

I disagree that 11 yr olds have less fear than the older girls. They may not be as aware of the consequences of a serious injury, but they are more fearful, I think.
I don't know for sure. You'd be disagreeing with Béla Károlyi and some posters from other boards on that very issue;

Quote:
It is not a matter of protecting the under 16 year olds. It is the fact that there is a distinct advantage to using younger girls in gymnastics. The reasons are cited in another post from a couple different sources. In essence: they have no fear, they do not get as nervous b/c they have no contemplation of the enormity of what they are doing, they are more flexible, and their bodies are less "broken down." [Yeah, it may not make sense at first blush, but these are all established facts which is why coaches try to sneak in underage girls.]

So, it is not about protecting the girls. It is a matter of having an unfair advantage by using the young ones. It's cheating. Period.
and...

Quote:
I understand what you are saying about verifying age. The problem in this particular case is that there were actually two sets of documents and the Chinese cannot explain why.

Found the stuff on the younger gymnasts from the other post. My better half was a gymnastics coach for several years and gave me the same explanation before someone posted this --

Why do younger gymnasts have an advantage?
They're lighter. The best gymnasts must be short and muscular with low body fat, which gives them a high strength-to-weight ratio and a greater ability to lift themselves into the air. Girls reach their ideal ratio before puberty; after that point, between ages 14 and 18, they gain weight and have difficulty keeping up their strength. Some coaches also believe that younger gymnasts worry less—making them psychologically less encumbered as well.
On Monday, former Olympic coach Bela Karolyi accused the Chinese of fielding 12- and 14-year-old gymnasts. If true, this wouldn't be a new practice: China's Yang Yun, for example, confessed during an interview on government-sponsored television that she was only 14 when she won two bronze medals at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. (LINKS ARE NOT MINE)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports