Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a Golf Sub-Forum?
Yes, long over due 206 85.83%
No, Soccer doesn't have one so Golf doesn't need one. 34 14.17%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 08:35 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times

Advertisements

When there's a tie, like Lowry and Smith tied today, the prize money for 3rd and 4th is combined and split equally. Here are the payouts for the 2022 Master's Golf Tournament.

Scottie Scheffler got $2.7M for the win, no wonder his wife got all teary-eyed on the final hole.
Tiger Woods got $43.5K for finishing 47th; at least he finished, but it's concerning that he played worse each day, which might be his right leg acting up.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 06:47 AM

14,485 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Scheffler may well turn out to be long-term legit, but I never heard of him 'til this weekend. Most sudden, quick flashes fade fast.

With his Masters victory he has won 4 tournaments in 2022 the first one being Feb 13th. So less than 60 days 4 wins. Impressive.

Old 04-11-2022, 07:27 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
With his Masters victory he has won 4 tournaments in 2022 the first one being Feb 13th. So less than 60 days 4 wins. Impressive.
It takes a lot more than 60 days to impress me.

In recent years, the majority of these young unknown "stars" have largely or totally disappeared in short order. And it has really hurt the sport. More specifically, the public interest in the sport. There's no real satisfaction derived from watching a serial chain of different unknowns burst on the scene, pushing aside guys who've contended and captured our attention for years, and then disappear as quickly as they came.

That has become the typical pattern in pro golf and I find it extremely frustrating and disappointing. Did anyone recognize last year's Masters winner in Butler cabin? Could anyone have named him? Nope - not anyone who doesn't live and work around the game, anyway.

We're a couple of years, at minimum, from knowing whether Scheffler is for real.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
It takes a lot more than 60 days to impress me.

In recent years, the majority of these young unknown "stars" have largely or totally disappeared in short order. And it has really hurt the sport. More specifically, the public interest in the sport. There's no real satisfaction derived from watching a serial chain of different unknowns burst on the scene, pushing aside guys who've contended and captured our attention for years, and then disappear as quickly as they came.

That has become the typical pattern in pro golf and I find it extremely frustrating and disappointing. Did anyone recognize last year's Masters winner in Butler cabin? Could anyone have named him? Nope - not anyone who doesn't live and work around the game, anyway.
I think you're letting your "experience" show here. Funny you say that, because a lot of people will argue that Jack's competition was weak compared to the "athletes" of today and therefor Tiger is really the GOAT despite the major comparison. But these are also the same people who claims no one has done what Tiger has done in terms of an injury comeback until told of a "unknown" guy by the name of Ben Hogan ().

Bottom line - "generational" comparisons are simply based on bias. The young don't remember the past and the old can't let go of it.

As for Hideki Matsuyama - the fact that you didn't recognize him is more telling of your current golf knowledge than the state of the game. He's been around for like 10 years - and started by winning Jack's tournament. He may not be as well known as DJ, Spieth, or even Fowler... but he's certainly no Danny Willet or Charl Schwartzel in terms of accomplishments (or lack thereof). And let's not pretend there were no "flashes in the pan" in previous eras of golf. It's sports, it happens. The big difference is that marketing is such a big business today, some may be more marketable than accomplished (I'm looking at you Ricki).

That said - If one is not impressed - no problem, can just turn off the TV.

Quote:
We're a couple of years, at minimum, from knowing whether Scheffler is for real.
Well... if we're going by the list of the golfers you listed a few posts back.. he's already as real as a bunch of them....

Old 04-11-2022, 09:03 AM

At some point in time it was thought that a group of the younger players might take turns winning many of the majors. This list in no way contains all of those young players but the stats are reflective

Jordan Spieth (age 28)(3 majors and the last one was in 2017)(Pro 2012)
DeChambeau (age 28)(1 major in 2020)(Pro 2016)
Brooks Koepka (age 31)(4 majors last one in 2019)(Pro 2012)
Mcllroy (age 32) (4 majors last one in 2014)(Pro 2007)
Fowler (age 33) (no majors)(Pro 2009)

I do not have a list of which majors those five did not play in other than Fowler failed to qualify for the 2022 Masters. Assuming they played in all four majors that group has played in roughly 51 majors and I have not counted the years in which they turned pro. That group has won 12 majors.

Looking back to the end of the season in 2017 that group has only won 1 major.

17 majors and that group won 1 of them.

1 for 17.

Yes they all have their 30's to win more but have they really dominated the majors?

Old 04-12-2022, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I think you're letting your "experience" show here. Funny you say that, because a lot of people will argue that Jack's competition was weak compared to the "athletes" of today and therefor Tiger is really the GOAT despite the major comparison. But these are also the same people who claims no one has done what Tiger has done in terms of an injury comeback until told of a "unknown" guy by the name of Ben Hogan ().

Bottom line - "generational" comparisons are simply based on bias. The young don't remember the past and the old can't let go of it.

As for Hideki Matsuyama - the fact that you didn't recognize him is more telling of your current golf knowledge than the state of the game. He's been around for like 10 years - and started by winning Jack's tournament. He may not be as well known as DJ, Spieth, or even Fowler... but he's certainly no Danny Willet or Charl Schwartzel in terms of accomplishments (or lack thereof). And let's not pretend there were no "flashes in the pan" in previous eras of golf. It's sports, it happens. The big difference is that marketing is such a big business today, some may be more marketable than accomplished (I'm looking at you Ricki).

That said - If one is not impressed - no problem, can just turn off the TV.

Well... if we're going by the list of the golfers you listed a few posts back.. he's already as real as a bunch of them....
Let's understand each other. You've been on ignore since before Scottie Scheffler was in college. Don't waste your time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRZ5c6I-vo

Old 04-12-2022, 11:56 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
Quote:
At some point in time it was thought that a group of the younger players might take turns winning many of the majors. This list in no way contains all of those young players but the stats are reflective

Jordan Spieth (age 28)(3 majors and the last one was in 2017)(Pro 2012)
DeChambeau (age 28)(1 major in 2020)(Pro 2016)
Brooks Koepka (age 31)(4 majors last one in 2019)(Pro 2012)
Mcllroy (age 32) (4 majors last one in 2014)(Pro 2007)
Fowler (age 33) (no majors)(Pro 2009)

I do not have a list of which majors those five did not play in other than Fowler failed to qualify for the 2022 Masters. Assuming they played in all four majors that group has played in roughly 51 majors and I have not counted the years in which they turned pro. That group has won 12 majors.

Looking back to the end of the season in 2017 that group has only won 1 major.

17 majors and that group won 1 of them.

1 for 17.

Yes they all have their 30's to win more but have they really dominated the majors?
I think the notion that "golf is HARD" applies here, lol.

I think the average age of a major winner in the modern era is still around 32. So still somewhat "old" by sports standards. That said - I want to say that in the last few years, more winners have been in their twenties than not.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:40 PM

Saudi Golf Tour

The first event is dated June 9-11. The four pros I see as heading that way are Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Bubba Watson and Kevin Na.
Each can be analyzed for clues as to why.
Westwood is age 48 and has only won one worldwide event since Nov. 12, 2018.
Poulter is age 46 and has not won any tournament since April 2, 2018.
Na is age 38 and has only won one event since Oct. 7, 2019.
Watson has won the Masters two times and age 43 and has not won since June 25, 2018.

I think Westwood was the first to be vocal saying at their age and the $ offered it's something for them to highly consider. I don't know the life styles of these pros but they should be millionaires and be set the rest of their life. If they are attracted by the $ then fine but from what I've read they won't be able to play in the British Open.

When they tee-off June 9 we'll see who is playing. I guess the 54 hole format is ok. Shotgun start is a terrible idea and the team format does not excite me either.

Your ideas?

As far as Mickelson returning I think he needs to come back in a Champions tour event to gauge the reception he gets from the players. And with the crowds rather small he can test the fans and are they going to cheer on birdies or be boo birds the whole round.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Saudi Golf Tour

The first event is dated June 9-11. The four pros I see as heading that way are Ian Poulter, Lee Westwood, Bubba Watson and Kevin Na.
Each can be analyzed for clues as to why.
Westwood is age 48 and has only won one worldwide event since Nov. 12, 2018.
Poulter is age 46 and has not won any tournament since April 2, 2018.
Na is age 38 and has only won one event since Oct. 7, 2019.
Watson has won the Masters two times and age 43 and has not won since June 25, 2018.

I think Westwood was the first to be vocal saying at their age and the $ offered it's something for them to highly consider. I don't know the life styles of these pros but they should be millionaires and be set the rest of their life. If they are attracted by the $ then fine but from what I've read they won't be able to play in the British Open.

When they tee-off June 9 we'll see who is playing. I guess the 54 hole format is ok. Shotgun start is a terrible idea and the team format does not excite me either.

Your ideas?

As far as Mickelson returning I think he needs to come back in a Champions tour event to gauge the reception he gets from the players. And with the crowds rather small he can test the fans and are they going to cheer on birdies or be boo birds the whole round.
I don't know enough about the different aspects of this Saudi tour to comment, Howard. I don't believe I've ever seen a shotgun start tourney and have never given it any thought. I'll have to learn more about how it works in practice and think more about it.

What's the rationale for the PGA booting Saudi tour players from the British Open? I'm assuming there's more to it than a scheduling conflict?

Old 04-13-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I don't know enough about the different aspects of this Saudi tour to comment, Howard. I don't believe I've ever seen a shotgun start tourney and have never given it any thought. I'll have to learn more about how it works in practice and think more about it.

What's the rationale for the PGA booting Saudi tour players from the British Open? I'm assuming there's more to it than a scheduling conflict?
I'll be brief since the details are scattered among articles. The PGA and the European Tour said any player bolting to the Saudi tour could would be banned "except" for majors like the Masters where people have a lifetime exemption. Norman sent an invitation to 250 players and also said the PGA can not ban any player legally.
Saudi is flush with oil money and back in the last event in Saudi Arabia top pros were paid an appearance fee. I'm not sure why Greg Norman is promoting such a thing. He's also a multi millionaire.
Shotgun start would be all groups (of 2-3 players) teeing off at the same time. Group one starts hole one and group two starts on hole two, etc. Those starting on hole ten might have an advantage or disadvantage of some kind on the players starting on hole one. 54 holes with no cut likely means $ to all entrants. Saudi's are super rich and can afford the dozens of millions of dollars they are putting up.

And with Mickelson's comments in an interview and this photo you can see the issues. Mickelson is worth over $100 million. He doesn't need the money but he hired a lawyer to write up the Saudi tour rules, etc. back in Dec. I think it was.
Attached Thumbnails
CD Golf Thread-1643825348909.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports