Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb_guy View Post
The reason I didn't include Tucson was twofold. First, it is closer to Phoenix than I think any league would like. If any of the sports would go there, it would be soccer. Second, the team would have to compete with the University of Arizona. While college sports and pro sports are not the same, the competition between the two is fierce. This is one of the reasons you won't see the NFL expand to San Antonio (proximety to Austin/UT) or the NBA to Kansas City (proximety to Lawrence/KU) or Raleigh/Durham. I think it's also part of the reason LA hasn't received an NFL franchise, thanks to the recent success of USC (although I see that mindset changing now that media darling Pete Carroll is out and media goon Lane Kiffin is in as coach).
True, but that didn't stop Oakland from getting a team when SF had one.
Also Baltimore is quite close to Philadelphia and DC and maintains a team as well.

However the things you're saying about college football are true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Charlottes residents are not as supportive for an MLB team as you would think.
They are not very supporting of AAA baseball either as they have averaged ~350k fans per year over the past decade. That is pretty similar to the late Richmond franchise and far less than Durham (~550k).

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
They are not very supporting of AAA baseball either as they have averaged ~350k fans per year over the past decade. That is pretty similar to the late Richmond franchise and far less than Durham (~550k).
Wow, 350K for a decade is pretty low from Charlotte's end. I guess they won't be getting a MLB, but the Bobcats of the NBA do pretty well there, fan wise, right?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Charlotte's Triple-A stadium is in SOUTH CAROLINA. That is bound to have a detrimental effect on attendence for a minor league team.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:33 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times
Toxic is right, if the moved the Charlotte Knights to Charlotte instead of 20 milers south, and in the middle of nowhere. they would draw very well.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM

77 posts, read 190,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
This list is useless. Cities dont get teams because they deserve them. In fact, cities dont get teams at all. Ownership groups get teams and have them play in particular cities. It has nothing to do with anyone deserving anything. It has to do with money and the owners. I follow expansion bids and ownership groups trying to get teams and most of the cities on this list have never even gotten a sniff from a potential owner.

In regards to the NBA in KC, KC is a basketball town. However, it is a college basketball town. We dont want the trash known as the NBA in our city. An NHL team would be a much better fit and we have an owner trying to get an NHL team here. I do not know a single person that follows the NBA here. We all follow college.

On top of that all the major leagues we have are already at capacity or even over capacity. The MLS is the only league that has room for expansion and they will likely cut off at 24, maybe less. Right now, the league has 18 teams and Montreal is said to be announced as the 19th soon. That leaves 5 spots left.

There are ownership groups in the following cities as of right now: St. Louis, Miami, Atlanta, Ottawa, Phoenix, and a 2nd NY franchise.

Portland and Vancouver come next season, Montreal and possibly a 20th team in 2012 and then probably 2 more rounds of expansion adding 2 teams a few years after that.
If you think it's stupid, don't comment on the thread. I know as well as anybody that expansion won't happen, but that won't stop people from talking about it. Obviously people here think the list is NOT useless, otherwise the thread would not have been started and people wouldn't be commenting on it. It's purely opinions, regardless of whether expansion happens. FWIW, I agree with you entirely. None of the major sports leagues will expand out of their comfort zone except MLS, for the same reasons you stated above.

As far as KC goes, I agree with the idea that they don't want the NBA. It's KU territory, and there won't be a NBA franchise that could compete with KU hoops. I don't want to hear from anybody outside the Kansas City area about the "the NBA worked in OKC with OU nearby, why can't it work in KC" argument, either. OU is no KU when it comes to hoops, and it never will be. People in Kansas understand who the big draw is during basketball season. Why else would the owners of a NBA franchise move their team to Sacramento, California in 1984?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Las Vegas would benefit from an NBA team or MLB. Orlando, Fl. needs an NFL team.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM

110 posts, read 271,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Las Vegas would benefit from an NBA team or MLB. Orlando, Fl. needs an NFL team.
I agree with Vegas benefiting from an NBA, but I'm not sure about MLB.

Orlando could possibly be a location of a relocating Florida team, but it might be too close to the Tampa Bay or Jacksonville markets.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,713 times
Oh, also Salt Lake City should have a baseball team. I can see a market there!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM

110 posts, read 271,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Oh, also Salt Lake City should have a baseball team. I can see a market there!
I would much rather see it get an NHL or possibly an NFL team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports