Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
EIGHT DOLLARS AN HOUR??????? EIGHT DOLLARS AND HOUR??????????
At the retail store where I work, I was talking to the HR manager in an aisle, when a customer walked up and asked him if we were hiring. He said we only had two openings for cashiers and we already had 100 applicants. Now, with that pool of potential employees, why would the company offer more than $7-$8 an hour?

I started working at that store three years ago as a lowly part-time customer sales associate and was glad to get hired. I've worked hard and got promoted and raised and made full-time, so I'm making more now and have good benefits. I have no complaints. They'll have to carry me out of that store kicking and screaming on my last day; either that, or they'll have to load me on a stretcher with a sheet over my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
At the retail store where I work, I was talking to the HR manager in an aisle, when a customer walked up and asked him if we were hiring. He said we only had two openings for cashiers and we already had 100 applicants. Now, with that pool of potential employees, why would the company offer more than $7-$8 an hour?

I started working at that store three years ago as a lowly part-time customer sales associate and was glad to get hired. I've worked hard and got promoted and raised and made full-time, so I'm making more now and have good benefits. I have no complaints. They'll have to carry me out of that store kicking and screaming on my last day; either that, or they'll have to load me on a stretcher with a sheet over my face.
This is all well and fine.But my wife was working for Haliburton $8 an hour no raises or benifits.Doing the same work she had been doing for years making $15 an hour with benifits.Haliburton was expecting the same quality and speed.

Talking about a smack in the face.

brushrunner

Old 08-14-2010, 02:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
As much as I love the Branson area, it annoys me to no end that employers REFUSE to pay a living wage. Here is an example of a recent craigslist advertisement to illustrate my point...

Phone Room Administrative Assistant (Branson)

Local Travel agency on strip seeks responsible and diligent Administrative Assistant for call center. If you are an experienced Admin Assistant with excellent organization and computer skills, we need you! Main responsibilities include entering data; generating daily sales reports; and solicitor reports, handling billing, and filing and processing paperwork. At least two years experience and knowledge of Word and Excel required.

Self motivator, and able to work independently in fun atmosphere with great people.

Hours: Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm.

please leave name and number if you are interested. Will be in contacting asap. Thank you!

Compensation: Starting pay: $8.00 an hour with bonus possibilities

EIGHT DOLLARS AN HOUR??????? EIGHT DOLLARS AND HOUR??????????

Please, people pay a living wage.

20yrsinBranson
Nope! No snivelin'. It's what the market will bear. One thing we love about shopping here is that many businesses employ seniors, the developmentally disable, mentally challenged, etc., especially supermarkets. That is so responsible, kind, helpful and inspiring.

As my children say, there's even hope for me!

Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
One thing we love about shopping here is that many businesses employ seniors,
No Habla Espanol

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 14,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Get used to the new normal. It's the same up here in ND and in other states where I know people facing the same situation. My husband and I both have college degrees and are earning entry-level wages.

There's a book out called "The Earth is Flat" - about the U.S. and global economy. Our decline started with GATT (Global Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) and then NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). Millions of U.S. jobs went overseas on the (FALSE) premise that increasing 'wealth' in other countries would cause those populations to buy more U.S. goods. The problem is, those countries are now producing the goods and services that we used to produce in the U.S. - gone forever. Bye-bye!

It's only going to get worse as all the spending laws enacted by our Hope and Change administration kick in over the next months and years. Spending = Taxes. Period. Taxes only add to the recession. Conversely, anytime a government offers tax INCENTIVES, it produces growth and opportunity. But then they can't control you.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times
Tanaka is a Lakota word for buffalo.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiewoman View Post
Get used to the new normal. It's the same up here in ND and in other states where I know people facing the same situation. My husband and I both have college degrees and are earning entry-level wages.

There's a book out called "The Earth is Flat" - about the U.S. and global economy. Our decline started with GATT (Global Agreement on Tariffs and Trade) and then NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement). Millions of U.S. jobs went overseas on the (FALSE) premise that increasing 'wealth' in other countries would cause those populations to buy more U.S. goods. The problem is, those countries are now producing the goods and services that we used to produce in the U.S. - gone forever. Bye-bye!

It's only going to get worse as all the spending laws enacted by our Hope and Change administration kick in over the next months and years. Spending = Taxes. Period. Taxes only add to the recession. Conversely, anytime a government offers tax INCENTIVES, it produces growth and opportunity. But then they can't control you.
Well, to be honest I wouldn't CARE if the wages were low *if* other things were proportionate in cost. But when food costs are constantly escalating, and housing costs are constantly escalating and ENERGY COSTS are constantly escalating, etc., when is it going to stop? When are we going to realize that you cannot live on $8 flippin' dollars an hour?

I am fortunate because I have few expenses and live a frugal life. But what about people who have two or three children, a mortgage, car payments, etc.? Used to be, you could have these things and live a nice, happy existence. no more. no more.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Well, to be honest I wouldn't CARE if the wages were low *if* other things were proportionate in cost. But when food costs are constantly escalating, and housing costs are constantly escalating and ENERGY COSTS are constantly escalating, etc., when is it going to stop? When are we going to realize that you cannot live on $8 flippin' dollars an hour?

I am fortunate because I have few expenses and live a frugal life. But what about people who have two or three children, a mortgage, car payments, etc.? Used to be, you could have these things and live a nice, happy existence. no more. no more.

20yrsinBranson
Got to agree 100%.Whats stupid alot of these places instead of lowering their prices because their not selling as much they are raising prices. That is just stupid.

Just like Buffalo,Mo. Factory shuts down hundreds of people out of work.What does the city do? Because not as much water is being used by the Factory they raise everyones Water and Sewer Bills.People that are now out of work.Just don't make sence to me.

brushrunner

Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 AM

62 posts, read 130,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Tanaka is a Lakota word for buffalo.
Ted, I think thats Tatanka.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
Well, we have both a mortgage and a car payment so neither of our costs are escalating as they're both fixed at low rates and the car wil be paid off soon.

As for the rest, we're on fixed retirement incomes, both of us, and I'm also on Social Security , which is also rather fixed and which my wife will be drawing beginning in December. Any COLAs we receive, or not, are pretty much geared to the inflation rates so we keep our heads above water.

This didn't just happen. We planned for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area