Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 13,687 times

Advertisements

I read in the paper the other day about a homeless man who approached a women asking for money, she said she didn’t have any cash on her but she gave him her American Express card, where the both of them entered the local convenience store. He purchased bottle water, soap, shampoo, razor and a pack of cigarettes. He said it was the first time in a very long time that he felt “normal again”.
He is just like me (in a way) the face of the new homeless in the United States. Me who just wants to be “normal again”.
I live in Branson at a motel where I have to leave by the end of the month (they are selling the property).I have two jobs and would like to move to the Nixa area, closer to Springfield where I can find a better paying job.Do you know of any places that are hiring, I have wonderful work ethics, marketing degree and have worked in the non-profit area for many years, however I have many good transferable skills for anyone one looking to hire a quality person. My thoughts are that we need to re-think or redefine the new homeless faces because of the current economy. And, that non-profits and churches need to redefine the criteria for helping the “new homeless. I am in a situation where I have enough to stay in a motel and save a few bucks every week towards renting a duplex in Nixa. I figure the way I am going it will take over a year to save enough for security deposit, first and last deposit. I do not want to stay with anyone, I have had my shared of living with people who have been questionable with morals and values
I have called many non-profits to see about getting rental assistance, and this is what they have been telling me; Are you a Vet? NO, Do you have a drug problem? NO, Do you have a drinking problem? No, Do you have any children under the age of 17? NO, Are you pregnant? NO, Are you a Senior Citizen? No. Do you have a mental or disability? No, Have you thought about Suicide? No. If you get a place and you need help paying your rent, we may be able to help (if funds are available or you can be put on a waiting list). Are you a single woman? YES, sorry we have more shelters for men or women with children
]I tell them I am homeless because of the economy. I am 50 years old women, college educated, no drug or alcohol problems. Nothing. I just want to be able to get into a duplex in Nixa, I have two jobs to pay the rent. I am just looking for a “hand up…not a hand out”. I have been very community minded professional and personally. I had a company in Kansas City for twelve years and was awarded “business of the year in 2002” and received key to the city from the former mayor for my humanity efforts abroad...donating $$ of medical equipment to foundations and missionaries
Now, when I need help…I am lost.
Can, someone find me some answers
With care
Patti

Last edited by phirsch; 08-15-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: typo commands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM

23 posts, read 98,226 times
Well, I don't live in that area- though I want too.....but I do know what it is like to seem to get "stuck" and feel like you cannot get out. I feel for you. I wish I had answers, but it seems like the system is just messed up. I know it is here in Colorado. Do they have low income complexes that you might qualify for? Unfortunately, once in those, it can be very hard to get out- as for every extra $20 you make, your rent goes up $18. ( been there at one time too) With two jobs- it seems you would be able to afford an apartment? At least one that was livable- as good as a motel?-until you have the money to get something better. IF you can make it work without govern. asst. I would say " do it". It is easy to get stuck worse if you get caught up in that whole mess. BUt, that said- help is there for those who need it. Maybe you could get food stamps for a bit, so your cash could go towards a place to live- instead of food. Maybe you could find a renter willing to work with you on the deposit portion?
Well, just some ideas. Hang in there and keep looking for an answer. It will come..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Thanks so much for emailing me back. The Recession is really bad--everywhere and I feel for everyone and my heart goes out to all of them. Like you said, unless you have walked in my shoes you just have no idea how hard it is for us-the new faces of homelessness! I am checking in to low income complexes..in most cases I just don't qualify. I am getting food stamps and I also agree with you about doing it without goverment assistance. I have always been a hard work. I won't give up the faith! Just tough for me right now. Thanks for the kind words!

Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,240,291 times
I wish you the best Patti & wish I had some advice for you, but I did want to say how much I admire your strengh. You sound like someone anyone would be lucky to have in their employ. Its so scary in this country now. I've never seen it so bad. It sure makes you feel for our parents & grandparents, and how hard they had it. I hope we're not heading for a worse time.

The only thing I would advise, but you've already said no to this, is renting a room. I know my elderly neighbor couldnt keep her home without one, and most of her roomies couldnt make it without her help. If you do decide to do that, at least it'd be a situation where your helping each other. I would only rent from a older person, as I think there'd be less if any problems. Please keep us updated on what you end up doing. It does seem like theres help for only some, but I hope you find a program thats right for you.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Dear BreeinMo,
Thanks for your reply. I talked to a women a few months back (around my age) who worked at McDonalds-the corp. end doing the real estate part. We talked for awhile and she told me she has been looking for work for seventeen months. I gave her a hug and we both just started crying. She lost her home (I told her I did also), she has moved in with a friend. I told her I have moved in with friends also-many times over (at least six). I told her I was on a "mission of sort" to let non-profits ,churches and other outreach organizations to rethink the "new faces of homelessness". She said where do I sign up (we laughed and boy, did we need a laugh)! Renting a room Bree, I have done that with a few people (some were older than I). My first reply to get this forum going was I just want to fell "normal again", I want to find my own place so I can start some roots to find a church, to find some fellowship, to give back to the community, to get my stuff out of storage, to get my dog back. To the women who used to work at McDonald's corp., I wish I could tell her, that for me, now it's seventeen months. This morning I was turning in my timesheet and I saw a man on the corner wearing a teeshirt that read: I NEED A JOB! I know I am not alone. I just wish I had a "magic wand" to get me into a place. I will pray for that today, not a magic wand...just some answers. Thanks again and blessings to you Bree. Patti

Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM

14 posts, read 57,046 times
Sign me up too Patti! Another person in good standing who can't seem to get help either. I am a widowed/single parent with an excellent background who is also a person who has been affected by the 'politically correct' saga! Single parents also get a bad wrap. I can see why so many women and children are at the top of the poverty line as noone will help them. Why? I did not go out and have more children, I lost my husband tragically 14 years ago. Mention you are a single parent in good standing, and they avoid you like the plaque.
I have medical issues that have affected me greatly and due to that, I am struggling. We are leaving our present location due to lack of good medical, transit (I am a non-driver), and gave my 60 day notice back in June. Due to the floods of the midwest, we are now trying to find another locale to move to that is safe, affordable and transit, as going to our original locale would not help us or anyone else there.
The way it is in our city, if you are a druggie, deadbeat, jailbird, or undocumented worker, you will get the help here you need. We have programs that stem around that. That's right. Free bicycles for paroles to help with obtaining jobs. Free monthly bus passes so persons can go to their AA meetings and counselors. Just a few here. Yep! When I didn't have enough monies to obtain a deposit for our current residence, as our other place was being taking over by student subsidy housing with only a 30 day notice to move, I was told to go down to the County office as they do make loans to persons in need. Since I knew I was getting my deposit back from our apt., this would cover the loan I was asking for county and pay them back in approx 2 weeks. Our State requires landlords to return deposits within 15 days after move-out. I made sure I provided proof of that and I was a sure thing in order to repay them right away. I was denied! They said they do not provide loans to persons that are moving from place to place willingly and not in dire need. I ended up negotiating with the new landlord, which I certainly didn't want to do, as they would think, if you cannot come up with the deposit, would you be able to come up with rent each month. I have excellent references which helped me there.
While I was sitting down at the County office, overhearing clients saying they have several loans with county and only pay minimum $10.00 a month repayment agreement. Then learned that at the end of the year, County exempts the loans that clients have with them, for whatever reason, taxes end of year etc., and they owe nothing! Are you kidding me?
So I had proof of income to pay back the loan within 2 weeks and was a sure thing for them to receive their monies back, but was denied! I don't get it!

I understand Patti exactly what you are going through. And I say the same as you, if you haven't been there, don't go there. Once it starts to affect the right persons or as the great George Carlin says, 'the owners', nothing much is going to change. The persons who had, are now the persons who haven't. Not in the 'club' as George would say to get help.

I applaud you!! Something needs to be done! I am scared with a teen daughter to be in this situation, as this is no fault of our own. Still weighing options and only have until Friday to do it. Just have to keep the faith and be strong. Count me in to help bring awareness to this!
Feel free to stay in contact. Always good to have support! Take care Patti!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM

Joann,
Thanks so much for your support and your kind words. My heart goes out to you Joann! I did get a response back from a large non-profit in Springfield and this is what they wrote back: "Since you did not mention any family, I will assume you are single.
Springfield has Victory Mission, the Salvation Army and The Kitchen, all
helping those who are in crisis and homeless, or near homeless.
Unfortunately, The Salvation Army has no single women housing, Victory
mission has only housing for our New Life Program, and The Kitchen ahs
minimal single women's lodging. Our nation is in a crisis over helping
people who are NOT mentally ill, abused, addicted, or chronically homeless."

AMEN!!!!!!! Someone told me that there is nation wide program funding called HPRP which helps homeless wth re-housing issues, just trying to find the organizations that handle HRPR funding in Christian county (Ozark-Nixa, Mo area). I will let everyone know what I find about this program and pass it on. Joann, I also have the same feelings regarding my two sons, who are in college, pell grants, living in the dorms, and I tell them that they have to get an education...hard to talk with them because they see, a college educated mom who soon will be homeless. What do I tell them? SAD...SAD.
Keep me posted on your situation, my prayers are with you regarding Friday. Blessing Patti

Old 08-16-2010, 01:54 PM

45 posts, read 116,548 times
Default Almost homeless in Branson

Hi: I read your post and just wondered about a few things. I assume you have internet access, or maybe you were at some facility, like the library, when you posted your message. I went on Craig's list and saw at least three very reasonable apartments in Nixa (one was $325). Also sometimes people will work with you on the security deposit. Would you be willing to go to another city in Missouri just until you get on your feet? I have done a lot of research on apartments in different cities in Missouri and for whatever reason, I found some very inexpensive apartments up in Jefferson City. Anyway, let me know if I can give you any further information on rentals.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Dear Therenoplacelikehome,
Thanks for the reply..I like your user name. Yes, I do have internet at the motel I am currently living in until the end of month. I look everyday on Craigs List and saw many reasonable apartments in the Nixa area and will be looking at some of them on Friday (cross your fingers). Some landlords said no, when asked about working with me, I do have two that want to me in person, I guess to see that I look OK?? I use to live in Jefferson City and Columbia, MO. Springfield seems to have more jobs for me plus I can keep my two part time jobs in the meantime that are close by. Thanks again for writing back. I have never put a reply up before...sure lots of nice people out there in cyberspace.
Keep in touch. Patti

Old 08-16-2010, 08:20 PM

62 posts, read 130,153 times
Hi Patti,
When push comes to shove, there are always the pawn shops and the ever increasing Gold buyers.
At 50 you are likely to have some old jewelry, if you are not wearing it, its broken, or you are hanging on to it for sentimental reasons ? You may have enough bits and pieces to raise the price of getting you in the door you want at Nixa.
Over a 40 year period I sold a gun collection, collectable books & historic documents, jewelry, oak furniture, musical instruments and sentamentality had to take a back seat, though I still have photos !
You can see I've been flush or broke quite a few times. Americans are fantastic in times of adversity, when the chips are down we are highly inventive, pull together and damn well get things done.
Are we going to let our National cash crisis break our spirit, heck no. Will the politicians mismanaging our tax payers dollars crush our resolve, not now, not ever.
We have the greatest country on earth, we have the strength of our pioneers in our blood. Its behind you and in front of you Patti. We can see you are a worker, a go getter, you will overcome.
God bless your resolve.
cgsred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area