Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,674 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone can give me some advice. My family is planning a trip to Branson Mo On christmas. We get there 12/23/2010 and we leave on the 30th. I am wondering what will be going on at that time? Will there be alot of people? I dont like it crowded but really hope it isnt dead either. We have season passes to Silver Dollar city will the lighted christmas train still be running then? Also how is the weather there usually then. We have beento Branso alot but we usually go in the summer time. Also wondering what are some good resturants that will be open we have eaten at some resturants there that were not very happy with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM

193 posts, read 786,470 times
Welcome to the board, Bren35!! Branson is gorgeous at Christmas time! IT could be 80 and sunny or 20 and snow filled. The good thing is that typically the wind isn't too bad. I came from South Dakota and moved here a couple years ago. The winter time is great.
I went to Silver Dollar City last year on the 27th of December. I thought it was great because there wasn't a lot of people. The stores had a lot of things that were 75% off, so I was able to score some good deals! All the Christmas lights will still be lit up--they usually are until the 7th or so of January.
What kind of food do you like? There are lots of good restaurants. Will you be staying in Branson? I rent out condos on a nightly basis, so let me know if you need a place to stay!
Let us know if you have any more questions!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 12,674 times
Default branson

Well najosbrand thank you on theadvice about Branson. We actually own a timeshare in Branson. I like all kinds of food. I know that we have eaten at some resturants there that we were very unhappy with. Plantations was one to me the food was bland and not goos quality or selection. Whipper Snappers was another one. If you have any good recomendations that would be great. Does it usually snow there or ice that time of year? Cant afford to get stranded there. Or would be upset if get there and stuck inside.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:34 PM

158 posts, read 376,396 times
Default Sounds like the best time to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
Welcome to the board, Bren35!! Branson is gorgeous at Christmas time! IT could be 80 and sunny or 20 and snow filled. The good thing is that typically the wind isn't too bad. I came from South Dakota and moved here a couple years ago. The winter time is great.
I went to Silver Dollar City last year on the 27th of December. I thought it was great because there wasn't a lot of people. The stores had a lot of things that were 75% off, so I was able to score some good deals! All the Christmas lights will still be lit up--they usually are until the 7th or so of January.
What kind of food do you like? There are lots of good restaurants. Will you be staying in Branson? I rent out condos on a nightly basis, so let me know if you need a place to stay!
Let us know if you have any more questions!!!
nanjosbrand -- thanks for the heads-up. I've avoided Silver Dollar City since moving here because of the crowds, but I just might go this year as your description sounds like the perfect situation for me. Just call me the "off-season" guy!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:31 AM

57 posts, read 165,867 times
On the flip side, we went before Christmas and it was a MAD HOUSE. Parking was the worst I've ever seen it. I think they broke records last year during Christmas.

We also go to the Shepard of the Hills. They have a WONDERFUL drive through light display that takes a good hour or so to navigate. After Christmas it was just right as well. You also get to go up in the tower. It's about $20 per car load.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Cool Good food in Branson...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren35 View Post
Well najosbrand thank you on theadvice about Branson. We actually own a timeshare in Branson. I like all kinds of food. I know that we have eaten at some resturants there that we were very unhappy with. Plantations was one to me the food was bland and not goos quality or selection. Whipper Snappers was another one. If you have any good recomendations that would be great. Does it usually snow there or ice that time of year? Cant afford to get stranded there. Or would be upset if get there and stuck inside.
Around here there really is no USUALLY...you just never know. There could be snow (a few inches) or ice...but it would be a freak storm if you actually got stranded. Bring all kinds of clothing, nanjosbrand is right it can be warm & sunny or cold & snowing. Layers. That's the best idea.

I'd stay away from the big buffet style tourist-oriented restaurants if you want good food. There are lots of places that my foodie friends and I dearly like: Charlie's Steak & Ribs, Bleu Olive, Level 2 Steakhouse, Waxy O'Shea's (although mainly for happy hour), Cantina Loredo, Famous Dave's, Danna's BBQ, Florentina's Italian Restorante, Worman House at Big Cedar, anything at The Chateau, Little Hacienda & The English Inn in old historic downtown Hollister, Keeter Center at C of O. In the winter Landry's is good. I think they're too busy in the summer to give good service. For cheap & good, I still love the burgers at Billy Bob's. Pizza at Pizza by the Chef in Hollister, and there's lotsa good stuff in Branson West: phillycheesesteak at Mickey's, mexican at Tequila's, BBQ or burgers at Danna's.

And if you're up for a beautiful drive, want good steak and an amazing little salad bar, try Steak Inn in Shell Knob. Mmmm.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:27 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Default "off season"

Well, LJ is right..there is no real "normal" (but where is there?)..but it will be cold.

I've lived in the area almost 4 years and it has never been 70+ degrees the end of December. I also live in MO in the 80's and never saw warm Christmas weather...occasionally in Febrauary yes.....end of Dec...no.
Bring your snuggies. But like most places that have winter the outdoors is cold and businesses often keep the indoors way too hot. So LJ is right..plan on layers.

Things do start closing down towards the end of Dec. though. Some shows are open till Jan. 1-ish, some close down earlier. Same for restaurants. Some just reduce their hours/offerings.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:35 PM

62 posts, read 130,130 times
Condo's etc should be at a bargainable rate, more than half will be empty.
The high time was Spring and Fall, then Branson added Veterans week and the Christmas season. Jan 2 until mid Febuary is pretty much a dead zone. Any locals with a few bucks go south for a vacation or a working holiday for musicions.
As a golfer, I would say we had several days every winter when a warm front from the Gulf came through. However, there were more cold fronts from Canada to counteract.
Your patronage and money will be very welcome any time in January.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,833 times
I have been to Branson several times between Christmas and New Year's. There are alot of shows that close during that time, but there are still plenty of them open. If you want a good sandwich go to Mel's Diner at the Christmas Shops, all the wait staff sing while you are eating. Golden Coral is also pretty good, huge variety, Danna's is a great barbque or burger joint. If you're interested in seeing shows and want to save on ticket prices, visit the purple 2 for 1 ticket building across from the fire station on 76, there are no gimmicks or timeshare presentations or anything but 2 tickets for the price of 1. I'm taking my family of 12, leaving on the 27, and plan to take advantage of their tickets. You get a voucher, then take it to the theater to get your seating, you can get front row center if it's available. The only show where you don't have the best choices is at the Haygoods, but you can still get good seats, just not up front. Have fun!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,882 times
Thanks everyone for information on what is going on in Branson Mo. between Christmas and New Years. Done anyone have ideas to keep a 10 & 12 year old happy. I am thinking of Stampede, Silver Dollar City sounded good and the Shepard of the Hills drive. One thing a day but we are on tight budget need some things a little cheaper after the first two. Any help will be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area