Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM

367 posts, read 765,916 times

Advertisements

Now I see why narrow-minded, 1950's thinking, stuck in neutral environments who claim they don't want to change have been passed by forward thinking segments of the population and the country. There are too many negative things about the local GOBN and little reason to explain it to people who suffer from kainotophobia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:05 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
If the area is attractive to others, the GOBN must be doing something right. All too often the so called progressive transplants come and muck things up, leave for the GOBN to clean up their mess. IMO
Yes, the area can still attract retirees who aren't as interested in the economy and jobs, but that doesn't apply very much to people who want decent paying jobs. They will look elsewhere.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:46 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Now I see why narrow-minded, 1950's thinking, stuck in neutral environments who claim they don't want to change have been passed by forward thinking segments of the population and the country. There are too many negative things about the local GOBN and little reason to explain it to people who suffer from kainotophobia.
If I may correct you, some if it is 1930s thinking and remembering the last hard times and how we got into that mess. Many of us have seen our coastal neighbors with their inflated costs. We chose to improve our lives more gradually by paying for things as we improve. History shows nothing ever stays in neutral, it either gets better or it gets worse. While our coastal neighbors have gotten worse, we seem to be getting better for the retirees to be moving in for our lower cost of living.

Of course this is my opinion and if incorrect, I won't blame any others!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, the area can still attract retirees who aren't as interested in the economy and jobs, but that doesn't apply very much to people who want decent paying jobs. They will look elsewhere.
I suppose that would be how you define a decent paying job, especially in a distressed economy.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It's sad that there aren't many jobs for younger people in Springfield, and I really do feel for them.

Springfield is very attractive to retirees, I agree. Retirees spend money and so they could be good for Springfield's economy, I would think. At any rate, with such a low cost of living, and decent medical facilities, a quiet town like Springfield sounds wonderful to conservative retirees like us. But, the housing market crash a few years ago kind of derailed our plans to move to Springfield. We still think Springfield sounds like a great town to retire in, and maybe we will move there some day. It is still at the top of our list, if we do decide to move anywhere.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:45 PM

367 posts, read 765,916 times
Bluff_ Dweller and Nola2sgf made good points. Retirees worked for years to get where they are and resist major change. They crave a routine and parts of the local community supply those demands and reap the economic benefits.

The younger generation has the downtown night life, art fests, sporting events and seasonal activities. The restless ones claim their are not plentiful high paying jobs and they are right.

I've seen an increase in the homeless, hard drug usage, and SSI recipients who can't seem to shake their poverty.

The rich figure the only was to prosper is to keep theirs and offer a small portion of their fortune to the less fortunate.

A rich, poor, young or old person with a strong work ethic and a high level of motivation has the penitential to change everything. Current examples of Springfield area game changers are Jim Viebrock, Yolanda Lorge and Mark A. Dixon.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM

89 posts, read 156,723 times
I honestly think it all depends on your mind-set, like you mentioned. I am a young, college bound person such as yourself, but I think Springfield is a fairly decent place to live. I know a few people in my age group that absolutely love it there, because it's cheap, has a low crime rate and the college is pretty decent. Sure, it's not a sprawling metropolis with countless possibilities for fun, but it's stable.

I've lived in both Los Angeles and NYC, and while I love NYC (hate California), it is indeed very expensive, and I am actually looking to relocate back to Springfield or another smaller city with a good school. I can definitely afford to live in New York, but however, if I live in Springfield, my cost of living is cut in half immediately. I can get my own apartment instead of living in a room, not have to deal with traffic, and most crime.

It really depends on where you want to spend your money. You can blow all your paychecks/student grants on rent and barely survive in a metropolis that's "fun and progressive", or have a more laid back, frugal existence in a smaller town. Of course, Springfield has it's own problems, but I think it's alright.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Your speaking for yourself. My original generalization is a fact. The cliques in the city and county governments is obvious to a transplant like myself. When things don't change in a positive manner only the GOBN benefits. It's one of the reasons Springfield is an expanding southern town with too many stagnant ideas, goals and long range plan.
I would hope that I wasn't self centered so much to NOT put the communities needs before mine. I suppose that would be mostly in the eye of the beholder. From your "game changing" names, there is only one that might be familiar to me as I have been retired 15 years and no longer in the mainstream of things. When my dad started our local chamber of commerce, he hired Larry Dixon who was working for KY3 and starting his Dixon-Baker Assoc. advertising business to help promote our lake area. My wife and I, my folks, and some other helpers would man booths at the major cities Boat & Sports shows in the winter times. The GOBN was actually a culmination of three and possibly four generations of families that continually worked for the benefit of the area as a whole. At least that is my story and I will stick with it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Funny you should mention Cashew Chicken. It was invented by an oriental restaurant owner on W.Sunshine a few years ago. It tasted good, took off like a rocket, and made the owner rich. If the restaurant is still there it serves the original recipe.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times

That is good stuff! Mmmm..... Here is more information about cashew chicken in Springfield, MO than most folks could ever want:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/di...anted=all&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area