Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM

18 posts, read 90,100 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Sprinfield, MO area since I was eight (20 years now). I went to MSU (SMSU for you old folks) and went from a minimum wage (12K/year) job to a decent paying software engineering position (45K/year). Life was all good, then I talked to some coworkers who've moved to the area from other parts of the country/state (Denver, Dallas, St. Louis). Each of them said they took big paycuts (30-40%) to move to the area and that they did not move here voluntarily (followed a spouse/sick family member to take care of, etc.).

So, my main question, would it be beneficial to a software engineering career to move to a different area, maybe a larger metro? Would the pay increase from Dallas, Denver or St. Louis more than make up for the increased cost of living?

If you would suggest moving, do you have any suggested areas? I would like to be able to attend MLB and NFL games without a 3+ hour drive and would like some of the other amenities that a large metro would provide. However, my wife and I do like our simi-rural living (currently live on the outskirts of Republic). I wouldn't mind a 30-50 min. commute if it meant we could live simi-rural. I would like to stay away from an area with a brutal summer. San Diego would be my ideal weather city, but my family fled from SoCal 20 years ago and I'm not sure I want to go back. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I moved here from NJ roughly five years ago. My salary took about a 25% pay cut. But, it is phenomenally cheaper here. I have friends in NJ whose property taxes alone are way higher than my mortgage (which includes property taxes).

Frankly I think it works out better to live here in MO, financially.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvgeb View Post
I've lived in the Sprinfield, MO area since I was eight (20 years now). I went to MSU (SMSU for you old folks) and went from a minimum wage (12K/year) job to a decent paying software engineering position (45K/year). Life was all good, then I talked to some coworkers who've moved to the area from other parts of the country/state (Denver, Dallas, St. Louis). Each of them said they took big paycuts (30-40%) to move to the area and that they did not move here voluntarily (followed a spouse/sick family member to take care of, etc.).

So, my main question, would it be beneficial to a software engineering career to move to a different area, maybe a larger metro? Would the pay increase from Dallas, Denver or St. Louis more than make up for the increased cost of living?

If you would suggest moving, do you have any suggested areas? I would like to be able to attend MLB and NFL games without a 3+ hour drive and would like some of the other amenities that a large metro would provide. However, my wife and I do like our simi-rural living (currently live on the outskirts of Republic). I wouldn't mind a 30-50 min. commute if it meant we could live simi-rural. I would like to stay away from an area with a brutal summer. San Diego would be my ideal weather city, but my family fled from SoCal 20 years ago and I'm not sure I want to go back. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Dallas, Denver, and St. Louis have a moderate COL compared to the national average, but higher than Springfield. All of those three metros are major cities while Springfield isn't. So, the COL comparison is apples to oranges. I think the lowest COL of the three is St. Louis, and I'm positive that salaries for software engineers would be MUCH improved over Springfield. I would go for it.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM

16 posts, read 20,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Dallas, Denver, and St. Louis have a moderate COL compared to the national average, but higher than Springfield. All of those three metros are major cities while Springfield isn't. So, the COL comparison is apples to oranges. I think the lowest COL of the three is St. Louis, and I'm positive that salaries for software engineers would be MUCH improved over Springfield. I would go for it.
I would much rather live in far SW MO and have conservative ozark, southern culture than live in Stl.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeMissouri View Post
I would much rather live in far SW MO and have conservative ozark, southern culture than live in Stl.
So would I. Oh, wait a minute. I do!

Old 01-31-2012, 12:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,656,908 times
Me too..... Oh wait a minute, I will in 1296 days

Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
so would i. Oh, wait a minute. I do!

me too!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Personally, I have come to the conclusion that money isn't everything. I would much rather live in the Ozarks because I can can go to Springfield where I can walk, alone, at night, in *any neighborhood* in town and not feel as though my life is in danger. I can go to the mall without being afraid of a robbery of car-jacking.

I have a friend who just moved to Memphis and who told me that she was cautioned to *NEVER* go into town alone (even in the daylight) because she would be robbed, raped and possibly murdered if she did. She was at the mall not too long ago when a man made a comment to another man in the parking lot that "she had money" because she was wearing new shoes.

Not too long ago I was talking to someone who lived in a big town back east and I told her that for an executive secretary the salary around here was probably something like $12 - $15 per hour. They were horrified and told me that where they lived an executive secretary would make about $35,000 per year or more. Of course, a house that would cost $120,000 here would be three times that amount in their town.

I would love to live by the beach somewhere, but I know I would never be able to find this quality of life elsewhere, at any price.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Personally, I have come to the conclusion that money isn't everything. I would much rather live in the Ozarks because I can can go to Springfield where I can walk, alone, at night, in *any neighborhood* in town and not feel as though my life is in danger. I can go to the mall without being afraid of a robbery of car-jacking.

I have a friend who just moved to Memphis and who told me that she was cautioned to *NEVER* go into town alone (even in the daylight) because she would be robbed, raped and possibly murdered if she did. She was at the mall not too long ago when a man made a comment to another man in the parking lot that "she had money" because she was wearing new shoes.

Not too long ago I was talking to someone who lived in a big town back east and I told her that for an executive secretary the salary around here was probably something like $12 - $15 per hour. They were horrified and told me that where they lived an executive secretary would make about $35,000 per year or more. Of course, a house that would cost $120,000 here would be three times that amount in their town.

I would love to live by the beach somewhere, but I know I would never be able to find this quality of life elsewhere, at any price.

20yrsinBranson
Well me and my Kids have been Robbed and Car Jacked in Springfield.My mother was Robbed on I-44 and Kidnapped and rapped on West side of Springfield.Could tell you more I've seen but just leave it at this.

Just really don't give me that Fuzzy Nice feeling in the area.

brushrunner

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 AM

186 posts, read 466,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
I used to live in TN, and had a friend who lived in Memphis. He wouldn't let me come visit him, because his mother was taken from their front porch and attacked. He would drive to me instead. I have lived a lot of places in my 30+ years....and I love this area. We may have slightly lower wages than some major metro areas, but at least I don't feel threatened being somewhere by myself after dark as a single woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area