Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
True, very true! I've heard good things about the Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, but I don't know if it qualifies as a PZEV or not. I'm going to have to hang on to my 16-year-old Lobrid as long as I can! At least it passed the smog test just fine last year.

Back on topic for me, do you guys in NH have any Trader Joes nearby?
Yes, we have a Trader Joes across the state line in MA near Nashua, NH. However, no TJs are currently in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:11 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Default Las Vegas vs Creve Couer

I'm from California and Las Vegas and I didn't find much difference between the TJ's in Des Peres to be any different than the one I went to in Las Vegas. A bit smaller than a few of them I've been to in California (Pleasanton and Brentwood). I've also been to the one in Chesterfield and it was pretty much the same. Prices were higher on liquor (two buck Chuck is three buck Chuck out of CA) but I suspect the liquor taxes are higher in MO.

But for what I buy, the selection was complete except for certain Greek Yogurt flavors. I know the TJ's I go to in Santa Fe doesn't carry the flavors either so maybe they are just in certain stores.

Sorry to hear that Creve Couer was a disappointment.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:07 PM

15 posts, read 64,203 times
I just started fulltiming in my RV --- decided to spend a few months in Springfield, MO, as I have friends and my son and his family in the vicinity. After 17+ years in Oceanside, CA, I can say the first thing I checked out on the internet before leaving SoCal was Trader Joe's. I love that store and it in NO way compares to any of the other grocery store chains here. Costco was next, but only for purchasing certain things in bulk --- which I won't be doing much of for a while.

Wish I had known there was a TJ's in Brentwood as I was up there visiting my son and his family 2 weeks ago and had a couple of hours to kill on Sunday.

If anyone decides to get a group shopping trip going, please let me know. I'd love to participate. Had a friend and her 14 year old with me here for the summer as she had emergency surgery and then couldn't travel. I love ethnic, spicey foods and they don't. So my pantry is devoid of those things --- which I ALWAYS got at TJs. Best thing I've found here in Springfield so far is Harter House --- but I'm truly needing a TJ break.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 PM

15 posts, read 64,203 times
Well, I decided to spend a few months here as my friends kept listing its virtues. And my son and his family moved to St. Louis a year ago (his wife is from SLO), leaving SoCal behind as too expensive. Son is in the recording industry and was not happy about the move --- has ended up working 3 jobs. I wanted to see my 2 year old granddaughter, so decided to head the RV this way.

I will say (after 17+ years in SoCal, 17 years in Colorado before that, a third of my life in Michigan and a whole lot of traveling for work) that folks in Missouri are among the friendliest folks I've ever met. I forgot how miserable the humidity and mosquitoes are; I remember how beautiful all the trees are; the beauty of huge lawns and wonderful absence of fences and houses built literally on top of each other.

I miss the ocean, but I missed the Great Lakes too; the mountains are beautiful, but they don't affect me like the big water does. On the other hand, food is fresh, plentiful and cheaper. Fuel is a WHOLE lot cheaper, though I've yet to find a retail bio-diesel here. The cost of living is much better here and the traffic is pretty much nonexistent. A tank of gas/diesel lasting me a whole month would never happen in SoCal where I travelled 1.5 hours each way to work every day for 14 years.

The architecture is beautiful; my friend (born and raised in CA) was amazed at: civil war history, huge yards, all the trees, all the huge churches, the number of funeral homes and the large cemetaries. I grew up with most of that in Mid-Michigan, but had forgotten about much of it til she started pointing it out.

All in all, a place IS what you make it. As I raised my son to know --- you can be happy or unhappy anywhere in the world at any time -- rich or poor; healthy or unhealthy. If you are truly unhappy where you are, it's time to find a way to leave it. But first you need to identify what makes you unhappy in that place --- otherwise you're likely to be just as unhappy in the next place.

I look forward to return visits to SoCal --- and time to visit many other wonderful places in this country. Somethin' Else --- my first mother-in-law-to-be asked me if I was saved the first time I met her. That was in Mid-Michigan. At that young age I chose to ignore the question and move on. I hope you find happiness somewhere. Life is too short to waste --- and the older I get the more I recognize the value of that life lesson.

Onward to Trader Joe's --- a place that fills me with joy every time I enter the store. For years before grocery stores had reliable fish sections I got ALL my fish at TJ's. Between that, the variety of nuts, grains, legumes and ethnic spices, it's a joyful place. I love the Greek Yogurt --- but if you get a chance to try their French Yogurt -- yum --- better then ice cream.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:46 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
Are you afraid we're taking over? I would also watch out for those Illinoisians and Floridians...oh yea and the Arizonians...I run into these folks all of the time...way more than Californians....And they have TJ's in those states too....

So...I guess your just not safe anymore.
Hey, this is great - a TJ's thread! That's a fact! You're not safe at all! Not from Oregonians, either. My sis and DH retired there five years ago and love it!

So, Trader Joe's...they have initiated lawsuits in certain states in the hopes of carrying certain liquor & other items on which various states maintain strict control. TJ's lost one of the lawsuits, think it was somewhere it the midwest -

Not to boast or anything, but there are four existing TJ's in Portland proper. They are in process of remodeling a store within 1/2 mile of where I live. There're are two other stores in Portland suburbs. TOTAL: Seven! I also love the fact that they support and carry items from locals - bakeries, fruit, vegetables, tofu stuff, soaps, etc.

(I check the MO site quite often..I really enjoyed visiting there!)

Old 09-04-2008, 08:19 PM

27 posts, read 114,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
two buck Chuck is three buck Chuck out of CA but I suspect the liquor taxes are higher in MO
Alas, I was in TJ last week here in CA, and Two Buck Chuck is now Three Buck Chuck (well.... Two Ninety Nine Chuck.... )

Old 09-04-2008, 11:09 PM

334 posts, read 915,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were in St Louis last week: the Creve Coeur store was a total disappointment after shopping at some of the stores in Calif, Vegas and Albuquerque: it was small, very little selection and the prices seemed high to us. Normally we can't get out for under about $100, we only spent $31.00. They didn't even sell hard liquor which they do in other stores we have visited. I dont' tknow about the rest of those in St Louis...

AS for Tulsa, last week we were told they will need to build a warehouse before they add stores in OK, TX etc. We hope we live that long. Nita
To be fair to the Creve Coeur store, Albuquerque's TJ's is especially big, but I agree that the Creve Coeur TJ's is a little spare.

I can't imagine Trader Joe's ever opening a store in OK, what with our archaic liquor laws. I'd be quite happy with a Springfield location, though. No joke, I'd move there partly for that reason.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 AM

111 posts, read 392,786 times
The Creve Coeur location of Trader Joe's is not the only location in St Louis. There is a store in the Chesterfield area which is much larger. I agree it would be nice to have one in the Springfield/Branson area. This is a growing area which would be a good financial investment for Trader Joe's.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
To be fair to the Creve Coeur store, Albuquerque's TJ's is especially big, but I agree that the Creve Coeur TJ's is a little spare.

I can't imagine Trader Joe's ever opening a store in OK, what with our archaic liquor laws. I'd be quite happy with a Springfield location, though. No joke, I'd move there partly for that reason.
springfield would work for us as well, no it isn't just around the corner, but anything would be better than not having one. I know what you mean about OK and AR as well, but there are lots of areas in both states that could support one. Here in NWA I bet one would go over big...of course not here in dry Benton county.

Nita

Old 09-08-2008, 01:59 AM

7 posts, read 41,593 times
Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions. Since we do live in Cali (for now) when we get to MO it won't be a big deal to drive to St. Louis for TJ's. After all, there are actually lots of folks that drive 2-3 hours ONE WAY to work in California. Not I, but many do. We are used to driving great distances, and the public transport system is virtually non-existent.
Those of you MO'ans that might be fearful that we, from California, might somehow infect MO with Cali ideals or attitudes, fear not. Anyone from Cali that would move to MO is NOT, I repeat NOT, the least bit comfy with living in Cali. That would be why we'd choose to come back to the Midwest where folks and prices are reasonable and very pleasant in comparison. I cannot wait to make this move. If you see us on the street you won't have any idea that we aren't locals to MO. Kudos to most of you for your still-existent manners and excellent driving skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area