Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:04 AM

334 posts, read 915,583 times

Advertisements

I think it's probably a load of cr_p. Local news outlets are so alarmist. What you most likely have are local punks aping gang-tagging. Contrary to what that report stated, there's no effective difference between what they're showing as "gang signs" and tagging.
Remember it's in their interest to scare you. A frightened viewer stays tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 05:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
Contrary to what that report stated, there's no effective difference between what they're showing as "gang signs" and tagging.
Nothing personal, but that statement is very untrue. I'm not going to start a Criminality 101 course, but there is a big difference in content, style, and purpose between the simple vandalism of tagging, which can be a misdemeanor or felony based on the cost of the damage, and gang grafitti that additionally indicate territory, wars, intent to murder, and other things.

I've spent too long of a career in law enformcement, retired now thank God, to pander to the criminal element and apologists, whatever their shape, form, age, or intent. It's my expereince that, should I wtiness some gang member vandalising my property, confronting them can easily lead to violence and murder. I've seen homeowners over the years laying dead or injured just because they attempted to protect their property from damage. It's less likely to happen with a punk tagger.

In either case, taggers and gang members do cost the community much in terms of dollars and quality of life. It is an indication that the neighborhood is in a state of decline. It's like dogs peeing on a hydrant, both for the taggers and gang members. Once one does it, the others come by and have the urge to do the same thing. They continue peeing around the neighborhood, stinking it up, the good people leave, and the neighborhood continues to decline. It brings in other elements . . . unless it's stopped right away.

BTW, there's a whole line of study on the subject. A university textbook was written on the subject called, "Broken Windows." If someone is interested in more about the overall issue of community decline, it can be an interesting read.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:18 PM

I can only speak from personal experience. Growing up in a not-terrible-but-not-great part of SoCal (in and around Buena Park, Bellflower, Hawaiian Garbage-err Gardens) it was my experience that the lines between gang membership, tagging and all that stuff was pretty blurry and amorphous. I confess I laugh a little when I see academic or media types acting like they're dealing with wildlife, using some sort of rigid classification system. "This, Brad, is definitely the work of a tagger, who by definition is not involved in gangs..."
This is not apologist, and I'm not denying that there are hardened gangs out there. However, what you have in Springfield is likely the work of kids much like those I encountered (no I was not one of them), a group of like-minded thugs, plain and simple, not a highly organized interstate drug and terror cartel.
Check the local police blotters to find out the truth though. Are guns a'blazing in your less-desirable parts of town? Is there large-scale drug violence? If so, you might have a gang-problem. Is your crime rate pretty much the same, but with lots of graffiti? Then you probably have what I described above.
If there is a true gang problem, that gang unit in that piece should have been able to show the reporters the actual members, sitting outside making nuissances of themselves. Gang members like attention, in general (hence the decoration of your neighborhood, the ridiculous posturing, the throwing of signs) and can be found pretty easily.

Last edited by J1ndo; 02-12-2007 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Sorry, I drifted off the topic of this site. The real reason I'm lurking around here is I'm looking to leave CA, and really find the four states area beautiful. I'm sorry to hear you have a graffiti problem.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM

129 posts, read 444,724 times
The documentaries on Discovery and other channels describe gangs as groups battling one another. Not the little old lady out in the yard picking up the morning paper.
From what I understand its bad guys killing bad guys who both make a lot of money selling drugs to another set of bad guys and people who will do drugs regardless of their culture.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 23,001 times
I have lived here in Springfield all my life I haven't noticed any gang activity. No one dressed like gang members or any gang signs around. when did this happen?

Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM

840 posts, read 3,467,437 times
Gangs in Springfield Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
Speaking from a position of experience, if you guys don't get a handle on it fast, I mean real fast, you'll get so far behind that you'll never be able to catch up.

You have to actively demand and support proactive law enforcement by your local and state agencies. Don't be quiet. It's your community, not the community of a bunch of criminals, so don't sit on the sidelines and turn it over to them or their outspoken mouth-piece spokes-holes. It needs to be done or you've already lost the battle.
Thanks....looks like something is being done.
Task Force on Gangs and Youth Violence (http://www.commpartnership.org/gangtaskforce/ - broken link) Missouri School Violence Hotline 1-866-748-7047

Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 AM

8 posts, read 27,745 times
Just be sure to put that tag on your own toe since Mara plays for keeps

But seriously folks, calm down about gangs. You probably have some juniors passing through supplying local high school kids and junkies. The key is educating your kids not to use chemicals and advocate health. This will drive away the junior gangbangers who will move back to cities. I am certain gang activity is very minor compared to the large urban centers. Focus on constructive anti-gang tactics and avoid hysteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingile View Post
Sp when is the Department of Conservation in Missouri gonna open up the season for Mara's Hunting, I'll buy a tag!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM

321 posts, read 838,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
Just be sure to put that tag on your own toe since Mara plays for keeps

But seriously folks, calm down about gangs. You probably have some juniors passing through supplying local high school kids and junkies. The key is educating your kids not to use chemicals and advocate health. This will drive away the junior gangbangers who will move back to cities. I am certain gang activity is very minor compared to the large urban centers. Focus on constructive anti-gang tactics and avoid hysteria.

Wells said, Statesman.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:19 PM

167 posts, read 451,711 times
there is more gang activity around here than you think. I-44 is a major corridor on the drug trade, and as some one who lived and worked closer to serious gang areas, I can see the signs just beginning. hopefully recent law enforcement changes will be focused on curtailing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area