Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 09:55 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
but it's looking mighty "peak-ed" as they say in these parts.

Ah, ha! Thanks for the memory. My family used to say "peak-ed", and I haven't heard it in years and years. I got quote a laugh rolling it around on my tongue.

"You're looking peak-ed, Mabel. Is everything alright?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 03:07 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
I lived in Branson in the mid 1970's for several years. To the best of my memory there were only three music shows (Presleys, Baldknobbers and Foggy River Boys). I remember when the very first Walmart went in, into an old grocery store (Harts I think it was called).
I then moved back in the early 1980's to attend The School of the Ozarks. The change that had taken place in those few years was astounding. I would call that era the beginning of the boom.
I recently googled the area and do not even recognize it. Even the area out by Table Rock has changed beyond recognition.
Back in the day I remember the feast to famine economy of the area. Boom town by summer, ghost town by winter. Is that still the case?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I lived in Branson in the mid 1970's for several years. To the best of my memory there were only three music shows (Presleys, Baldknobbers and Foggy River Boys). I remember when the very first Walmart went in, into an old grocery store (Harts I think it was called).
I then moved back in the early 1980's to attend The School of the Ozarks. The change that had taken place in those few years was astounding. I would call that era the beginning of the boom.
I recently googled the area and do not even recognize it. Even the area out by Table Rock has changed beyond recognition.
Back in the day I remember the feast to famine economy of the area. Boom town by summer, ghost town by winter. Is that still the case?
Yes it's still busy in the summer but hanruaru and February it is absolutely dead.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Christmas season is huge. Then it rests a couple of months before it starts up again. In between there are plenty of blue hair buses bringin' them in.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:07 PM

155 posts, read 278,940 times
whats hanruaru?
its slow from late december on but there is still things to do and a few shows going on.
quiet

Old 08-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving46 View Post
whats hanruaru?
its slow from late december on but there is still things to do and a few shows going on.
quiet
Hanruaru=janruary but my phone somehow got out hanruaru lol

Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblaster View Post

The coldest period in Jan their average high is around 45 degrees.
Not to nick-pick, but the average temperature for January in Branson is 32 degrees. The average temperature does not get to 45 degrees until mid March. Those numbers come from this site.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Not to nick-pick, but the average temperature for January in Branson is 32 degrees. The average temperature does not get to 45 degrees until mid March. Those numbers come from this site.
He said average high....that temp averages the high and low together. Branson has very mild winters for Missouri. Many years we don't even get any snow.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
He said average high....that temp averages the high and low together. Branson has very mild winters for Missouri. Many years we don't even get any snow.
Where is that data coming from? I grabbed this graph from this very site, could it be that incorrect?

This is the graph for St. Louis

It indicates very little difference between Branson and St. Louis. Based solely on these graphs it appears there is very little change in average temperatures from the top to the bottom of the state of Missouri.

I show this because of the claim that Branson has mild winters. If one looks at the blue line, the daily low temperature, one can clearly see that in the winter Branson falls below the U.S. average.
I concede that 'mild' is a relative term, but this chart shows otherwise. It would be more accurate to say that one will experience daily low temperatures below that national average in Branson in the winter. At least according to this site's data.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Where is that data coming from? I grabbed this graph from this very site, could it be that incorrect?

This is the graph for St. Louis

It indicates very little difference between Branson and St. Louis. Based solely on these graphs it appears there is very little change in average temperatures from the top to the bottom of the state of Missouri.

I show this because of the claim that Branson has mild winters. If one looks at the blue line, the daily low temperature, one can clearly see that in the winter Branson falls below the U.S. average.
I concede that 'mild' is a relative term, but this chart shows otherwise. It would be more accurate to say that one will experience daily low temperatures below that national average in Branson in the winter. At least according to this site's data.
Branson does not have accurate high/low statistics. We just got an airport in the last couple years. I can almost guarantee you those stats you have there likely came from the Springfield airport and hour north of Branson and up on the plateau. That has a big effect on temperature. I can say having grown up here our schools close down for even a chance of snow. If we have any snow at all on the roads town shuts down. I am pretty sure that doesn't happen in St. Louis or northern Missouri where snow is much more common. I think Branson probably averages around 10 inches of snow for the entire year. Also as you see he wasn't inorrect high temps during the winter month always average at least 40 degrees...even based on that skewed chart. Look up any climate zone map if you need any more help...those are pretty self explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area