Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM

12 posts, read 29,844 times

Advertisements

Ah, you like to photograph, too. We can talk shop sometime if you like. I wasn't in the military but my husband was before we married. I did have a business, though, that took me to most every state in the union and I would try to sight-see whenever possible. But I really just want to be "home" now, wherever that is... and spend time with the horses. Since I would miss the kids a lot, travel would be a given.

I would indeed think of it as a grand adventure, and possibly our last one, too... unless something happened to my husband and then I might adventure myself back to California so's I wouldn't be alone... but who knows.

--------------------- Question:

I'm trying to find out about Missouri property taxes and how they would apply to a new purchase. Around here it's misleading to advertise the property taxes with a home for sale, but they do it anyway and it's annoying because the tax is going to change again immediately after the sale, based on the latest price. Is that the case in Missouri, too? And if so, is there a rough way to estimate what one might be paying in relation to the sale price of the home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
unplugthephone - all can say is that area yas are leaving,,, gorgeous. Had pleasure of spending short time there few years back; took loop from Sacramento north to Redding via Oroville and Chester, bugged west through some beautiful hills on a very extremely narrow 1.75-lane road - can't recall if it was 299 or 36 [stopped at some Gulch ], over to the Pacific Ocean, and then down through Ft. Bragg to Petaluma via CA Hwy 1, stopping at Humboldt Redwoods State Park [took the rental through a tree ], and then back to Sacramento through Napa Valley - through fog... and almost missing plane . Anyhow, relay all that to share that know some of that area - it is something to behold.

The Ozarks and Missouri... different game, not the extent of what you have there, but its a different beauty - softer and gentler, but maybe even richer in some aspects, you could say. While the t'storms are more stronger, the land is more subdued than your area there. Yea, lol, the undesirable critters and the weather [including her extremes] are something that many people don't expect, and some don't ever get used to. Oh, as to the lightning - do need to be careful [yes, this coming from fool that gets on top of roof and hills so can take better photos ] - some kin the other day lost few head of cattle due to a strike. But as said earlier in other good posts, the storms, they have their own beauty - the ice, while damaging, does add a strong glimmer to the scenery in sunlight and moonlight; the fireworks as the sky lights up via the electrical discharges are a sight, and many who leave the area, that is one thing that they miss [my black lab, she'd be quite fine w/o 'em tho'.

Oh, as to the trees - many of the native trees here were removed for crops and/or timber, including railroad ties; that industry was huge, esp. in the Ozarks back turn of the century [the century turn that didn't have phones to unplug ] - check out A History of Forestry in the Ozarks for a brief history. There are still some areas that were not touched, and those are quite beautiful - but nonetheless, lol, nothing touches those CA giants.

Regarding the 'family history' of an area - I looked at it as if our moves, we were the pioneers, with the realization and comfort of knowing that the kinfolk back home, well, they were the anchor. But nonetheless, I do know what ya are saying - its not easy, but the adventure, in my warped mind, outweighed the negatives.

PS: even tho' he goes by name Curmudgeon, very good posts above...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM

167 posts, read 451,748 times
NorCal is a big place, where I am here is kinds like elDorado hills in the early spring (the 30 minutes its green) or kinda like Hwy 44 between Redding and Viola (again when its green)
Here near Springfield, the humidity isn't bad, where I am at its around 1500 ft, I think that helps. my house was $220k, and taxes are less than $2k/yr. I also have 8 vehicles licenced, and I can register for two years, pay two years of PPt, and all 8 are cheaper than one truck in CA. insurance is less too.

you sound normal and intelligent, you will be fine.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 29,844 times
We had a Missouri-quality electrical storm move through here in the California western Sierra foothills last night. Shook one of my favorite ceramics off the shelf and broke it... the closest strikes were making the phone ring with each flash. Thunder sounded like big sheets of metal being banged together. It was fun and exciting, mostly because it's relatively rare around here.

ShadowCaver, you are right, California has glorious terrain of just all types.. ocean, desert, prairie, mountains, rivers. Even though I don't make it over to the coast line as often as I like, it's nice to know it's there. We once drove 4 hours just so we could spend 15 minutes watching the sun set over the Pacific and then drove 4 hours back home. Don't like to take it for granted.

It feels sort of like reverse-pioneering to go east.

DeanMoore, so true that our grasses golden up pretty quick here. Storms like the one that passed through here last night are rare after June 1st and we appreciate they will add a week or so more of green to the meadows before we brown out. Also, your info is very helpful and just what I was looking for re: the taxes and registration fees. Thank you for that.

Thank you all for helping me see I can do this if it comes to pass. You are good people and I'd be honored to know any of you.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:41 PM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugthephone View Post
There's something else on my mind... and that is going to a new place where you don't have any family history. You know the feeling you get when someone says, "Oh, you're so and so's kid." or, "I got a great story about your Daddy and the time he did such and such" and you get to smile at the acknowledgment of someone who knows you without having to prove yourself... not that I'd want or need to prove anything, but maybe you know what I mean... I'm wondering how much I might miss that familiarity, and being a stranger to others at this time in my life....even though I'd be making fascinating and valuable new friends. I've moved around in my younger years.. up to Oregon, down to southern Nevada... up to 600 miles from home. And these things never crossed my mind much. But here I am at the age of 54 and I gotta say, it does give me pause. The desire to up and go have an adventure vs. the desire to stay rooted.

My best memories growing up were having grandma and grandpa in our daily mundane activities. Doesn't compare to the once a year visits. Our kids live in Texas and New York so we won't be leaving them if we leave California... but we'd be leaving a lot of nephews & nieces. I'm thinking I'll come home for a month at a time... go to their baseball games, birthday parties, hang out, etc. and then enrich their lives by having them come stay with us a couple times a year and expose them to things they'd otherwise never know. It's different than living down the street, but doesn't mean you can't be there for them still.
These are the things that are most important to me too.

Since you do like where you are now, be very careful. Visit as much as you can and take your time.

Last edited by Silvermouse; 06-04-2009 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: extra word

Old 06-04-2009, 03:09 PM

167 posts, read 451,748 times
I was a youth pastor in northern california, and while we didnt leave any family, we left a lot of life-long friends, and I also left 75 or so youth that I had cared for for 5 years. leaving california was easy, leaving the folks I care about was harder.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Cool Me too...

The ONLY thing I really miss about California...is people. Sisters, nephews, nieces...friends. Some of them visit me here, and I visit there at least once a year...that helps!

I've been here (SW MO...Table Rock Lake) since 1993 (with a couple of side trips to make sure this is indeed heaven on earth...). Your concerns about being welcomed are valid, and I always strongly suggest that people from elsewhere look carefully at moving to an area where there has been little growth. I find the southern-most part of SW MO is just such a melting pot that almost everyone is from somewhere else...it's like you're in the grocery store and you strike up a conversation and everybody's like..."where are YOU from"...

I've made a number of good friends right here on this message board, actually.

And oh, speaking of which, prayers for yr' wife, Curmudgeon...healing thoughts coming your way!

Anyway, back on topic, I haven't found the bugs & storms & such to be that much of an adjustment...it's a trade-off. I moved away from earthquakes & drive by shootings...and as much as I hate chigger bites, you learn to have some "chiggerid" in every hand bag.

Have you spent much time here?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM

81 posts, read 196,068 times
Quote:
There's something else on my mind... and that is going to a new place where you don't have any family history. You know the feeling you get when someone says, "Oh, you're so and so's kid." or, "I got a great story about your Daddy and the time he did such and such" and you get to smile at the acknowledgment of someone who knows you without having to prove yourself... not that I'd want or need to prove anything, but maybe you know what I mean... I'm wondering how much I might miss that familiarity, and being a stranger to others at this time in my life....even though I'd be making fascinating and valuable new friends. I've moved around in my younger years.. up to Oregon, down to southern Nevada... up to 600 miles from home. And these things never crossed my mind much. But here I am at the age of 54 and I gotta say, it does give me pause. The desire to up and go have an adventure vs. the desire to stay rooted. My parents didn't fulfill all their earlthy dreams... but what they did do, was give hugely of themselves for our family. My Mom's deathbed words were, "no big deal, I just did what I was supposed to do." It impressed me greatly and has created a crossroads in my heart... stay here and be with family or break off and chase a dream. Remember, it's the relationships we take with us from this planet... not the land we buy or the houses we build. I get excited about moving and then I wonder if I'm being materialistic or too self-centered. Just curious if others have had these dilemmas. I wrestle with it far more than with the idea of ice storms or spiders.
This is just exactly the way I feel. Thank you for expressing it so well. I'm in El Dorado County. I was born here, but a part of me wants to head out to Southern MO. Having my husband lose his job of 12 years, and then find a new one that keeps him gone all week has made the possibility of moving more real. We would leave for a job where he could be home nights. But, also, everyone I know is in this county. All family, friends, and sentimental ties. The other day I drove my kids past my old babysitter's house so they could see it. I shop at the same grocery store every week where my mom took me when I was little. We live in a beautiful area 2 miles from my husband's parents, and he takes our son to fish in the pond he fished in as a child. Moving is a big decision. Without a crystal ball, we just don't know if it is the right desicion until we do it.

By the way, that lightning storm was AMAZING! We have a huge meadow across from our house and the lightning was flashing continuously over it for a very long time. I was thinking, "This is like Missouri!"

Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
This is a great thread! I'll try not to be too off-topic, but just say that my wife and I took a day trip last Friday (May 29) up to the California Sierra foothills from Placerville down to Jackson (state highway 49). While in Jackson during the late afternoon, the temp was in the low 80s, higher humidity than usual, and some serious-looking gray cumulonimbus clouds off to the east in the higher elevations. Yep, a lot like an oncoming thunderstorm in Missouri!

I remember when I moved from St. Louis to NorCal in the mid-80s that I saw quite a few "Welcome to California Now Go Home" bumper stickers." I daresay that the mentality of nearly all Missourians isn't anything like this at all! If you're like, "OK, so where the (bleep!!) is my Whole Foods Market, I want to buy my gluten-free crackers and organic arugula and I want it NOW!" well, then you might get some "Gee, what's up with that person?" looks.

But whether in Hermann, St. Joe, St. Louis, the eastern Ozarks or other Missouri places, I think most folks will act like you've been best buds for years!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
Default California...Missouri...

Hubby & I were both born/raised in StL. county MO. We moved out to San Diego for 3 years, 26 years ago...then to Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley...then finally to San Jose. San Diego was wonderful...we just loved it there. Miss it every day.
I knew my Dad was going to die & didn't have much time left. I was worried about my Mom. We ended up buying & stayed in MO. We did move again, to the country over 13 years ago. We just love it here Still miss SD very much, thank goodness for memories.

Hubby & I have traveled all the state parks in MO, been to just about all of them. We traveled all over the state. I do have to say, MO is very beautiful. Each area be it Southern , Mo or Northern, MO, East or West, all is beautiful in the country.
People living outside of the big cities, seem much friendlier I'm not saying anything bad about the big cities...just country folk seem so much nicer, easy going, don't try to keep up with the Jones's type.
When we moved to the country, we had every neighbor from a mile away, (since we are all spread out so), come to indroduce themselves, bringing baked goods, or caseroles, or fresh veggies. Couldn't of been nicer. We are all still very close.
When we moved into StL county, everyone kept to them self, Not much there.
In the country it's just so different. EVERYONE waves as you drive by or pass on the roads, whether you know them or not.
Everyone speaks to you, even is passing, there is always a friendly "hello"..."hey"..."How ya doing"..." Good Morning". Always........
It's wonderful to walk into the bank on a Friday or Sat. just walking up to the teller, never waiting. Going to the grocery store...same thing.
Everyone knows everyone. To us it's like a HUGE family.
Country life is the only way to live in our book. We just love it.
Of course you can't leave out the soap opera in small towns.... if word gets out, pretty much all will know. LOL !!!

Birds ...
Mo. birds are BEAUTIFUL. Someone mentioned the cardinals. There are also the Blue Jays...several types of Hummingbirds...BRIGHT yellow finches... wrens, that are very tiny , but can sing the most beautiful tunes. Just give them a small birdhouse & they are happy.
Mockingbirds... which can fool you not knowing what type of bird it is, until you realize it's a mocking bird mocking other birds. We even had a mockingbird that could mock a cat. Verry funny...
So many more birds...so many different types of hawks, even bald eagles by us in the Winter. Vulture...turkey vultures, geese, so many breeds of ducks. On & on & on...

Trees....
So many species of trees & bushes. Oak, ash, hickory,paw-paw, sassafras maple,cottonwood,popular hackberry, redbud, dogwood, pecan, walnut, cherry, elm, all kinds of pines & cedar trees. So many more I know I haven't mentioned.

Wildflowers....
Blackeyed Susans, golden rod, buttercups, primrose, purple coneflower,columbine,honeysuckle, azaleas...once again way too many to mention.

Many waterways...Mississippi & Missouri Rivers, lakes, ponds, streams & creeks.

StL zoo is still free. The Arch...always impressive. Haven't been near there in many, many years. All the state parks...beautiful.

Your car insurance will really go down. I remember it more than doubling when we moved to CA. We were both accident/ticket free, too.
There is tax on food at the grocery store. Not like CA.

The seasons are always beautiful...

Winter can be very cold. Your blood living in CA will be thinner. So your first one or two Winters will be cold. I suggest an electric blamket. Although our Winters haven't been that bad the last several years. Don't be surprised if one day it's 27* in the Winter and the next day 80* or vice-versa. That's very common.
The ice on the branches are beautiful. Just always make sure your tree branches are away from power lines.
OH...how could I forget. HEATED WATER BOWLS/BUCKETS. For your horses, dogs, etc...etc... You'll need heated water bowls to keep their water from freezing. Best invention for our beloved animals in the Winter.
Even though our dogs are inside during the cold weather, they still have heated water buckets outside.

SPRING...
Is BEAUTIFUL. although just beacuse it says Spring on the caledar doesn't mean it's nice outside. you don't want to rake or clean out your flower beds too soon.We love the Spring flowers.

SUMMER...
Can be brutal or beautiful. Once that humidity sets in...yuck. Don't be surprised if you take a shower and when you go outside to become dripping wet. Yep... good 'ole humidity.
Humidity will be your hardest challenge. we've lived here for ever & still never get use to it.Unless your lucky enough to be able to stay indoors all day. LOL !!!

AUTUMN aka FALL...
Is a beautiful time of year. Watching the leaves turn colors. just beautiful.
Something we midwesterners call Indian Summer. All that is... is a very warm day in the fall or a cool day with a warm sun, however one looks at it.
There are lot of festivals/craft fairs all over the state. Some wonderful...some so-so. If you love popcorn...you'll love the kettle corn. Popcorn made in a turn kettle (ot sure what it's called) or made in a black kettle. Little bit sweet...little bit slty. Nothing like the microwave type. Funnel cakes for the sweet tooth in you. Apples everywhere.
Leaves eventually turn brown & fall off the trees... then we start all over again.

MUSIC...
There are a lot of country music lovers, and bluegrass lovers.
Personally, we both are classic rockers & blues lovers

I'm trying to hit a bit on everything...but I'm going brain dead, here. You & I are close in age. I hope I helped you some.
You are looking in S. MO which I'm not close to, but I hope you find your dream home. Don't settle, be picky, there are a lot of homes out there to look at due to the horrible economy.
If I were you, I would make a few trips in the area you are looking at. Find a good realtor to help you. My Hubby drew a 50 mile radius circle on the map when we were looking for a place. he said he didn't want to have to drive more than 50 miles to work. That might help you. There's a lot out there in that 50 miles. We looked almost 3 years, almost ever weekend. We didn't know if we were going to build or buy something. Just know what you want before you get out there, that helps a lot.
Even something as simple as ...say you love 2 story homes...well...what if one of you has a medical condition down the road & can't do the stairs...or it's a lot more to clean then you want to. Our dear country roads bring in the dust, even if your house is closed up.

OH yes... most dogs in Missouri are people. I've never seen so many dog lovers in my life & happy to say, were 2 of them.

Good Luck & Best Wishes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area