Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM

914 posts, read 2,211,242 times

Advertisements

How much are you willing to spend? View? View of what? What kind of character do you want in a neighborhood?

Every city has an area where the traffic flow is awful and your office location is in Springfield's worst by at least one order of magnitude. I moved out of Parkcrest more than 25 years ago because of the awful traffic. My last move was to the north precisely because of traffic problems in the southwest. I commute from north of Fair Grove to roughly Sunshine/Glenstone in exactly 30 minutes. However, a 25 minute commute to southwest Springfield could take you out west as far as Billings, southwest to Clever, possibly as far south as Ponce de Leon.

Comments:
Greed: I am sick of hearing about "greedy developers". Greed is a universal human condition. Developers will be happy to build houses on three acre lots with landscaping, hiking trails, greenspace, and so forth if people will pay for it. Buyers will not spend the bucks for such properties, however - the greedy cheapskates. "Greedy" buyers are, or at least until recently, were quick to snap up poorly designed, poorly constructed houses that were new, clean, had lots of square footage, and great financing. "Greedy" banks were quick to provide the money. Greedy politicians couldn't pass laws fast enough to make it all possible. By the way, I have never heard of any buyer so altruistic as to raise their offer price because they felt the seller is not asking enough. I certainly am as guilty as anyone - I chose the area I wanted, bought the land I wanted, and built the house I wanted. Did it all as cheaply as I could and still get what I wanted. If that isn't the epitome of greed, I don't know what is.

Roads: Where are these cities with such marvelous roads? Seriously, I'd like to know. I have traveled extensively both in the US and Europe and cannot think of anywhere I'd move for the quality of the roads. Kansas City? St. Louis? Dallas? Chicago? Denver? Memphis? Minneapolis? Give me a break! Locally, we ARE taxed extra for the roads. In addition to the usual property taxes, gas taxes, and various state and federal slush funds, Springfield has a 1/4 cent sales tax exclusively to squander on things like unneeded new roads to the unneeded new airport terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area