Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:49 AM

270 posts, read 656,295 times

Advertisements

I don't believe just left wingers would reject unchecked development of wild places in MO. We have a large population of hunters and other outdoors enthusiasts in this state. Once enough subdivisions move into an area, they will start telling rural people how they should keep their yards, how they should keep their animals, etc. It takes a long time for things to get to that point but it can happen.

It happened to my relatives. They were eventually surrounded in development. Unfortunately, right after they moved in land started getting developed and it never lost steam. A couple of parents got together and began demanding they fill in a fishing pond that had been there for more than 15 years (came with the house) because they were worried their kids would tresspass and accidently fall in. One of the husbands also took down a barbwire fence that was 100% on my relative property due to his wife claiming the kids could get hurt. The fence was grown in with shurbs and I am amazed he (or they) even managed to get it down in a single work day because it wasn't easy to get to. There was no where left to walk the dogs anymore. All the previous farm and land owners had allowed the neighbor to walk dogs on the unused portions of land, but all that became houses and smaller backyards of lawn grass. The little remaining woods where people once had deer stands would now be dangerous to hunt because houses are to every side of it. The fishing pond is probably filled in now as well. They gave up at some point, and surprise surprise, moved even further out. I think as a society we need to think about quality of life issues. Especially in MO, I hope we are not so quick to just roll over and let fate determine how our landscape ends up. We all know how that willl play out by looking at the trends already started and what has happened in other areas.

Last edited by sixtwobaldguy; 11-17-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 05:06 PM

15 posts, read 19,686 times
I just found out that the world is not flat (when residents of my home town graduated they left and never came back,I thought they fell off the edge of the world)and migration and growth (or loss) of population has a lot to do with climate,politics and jobs. If you don't want to see the change run for office and make the rules you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area