Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:35 PM

129 posts, read 478,173 times

Advertisements

Oh by the way my screen name has nothing to do with diamonds. I worked at a state prison all male inmates, the inmates called my officer Ice and the C.O.s called me icelady.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Red face See? You already found one friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Thank-you, That makes me feel a little better. Thats unny I do the same thing like what your friend does I have my friends who are non jewishes for passover. We have a great time then I go to her house for easter also christmas. I really do not want to move to a big city. I am try of the rat race. I would like to be in a nice town and to big or to small. Just friendly people. Take care
...So does this mean I get another passover invite? I'll put ya on the list for Christmas...

You're going to find some of both friendly and non everywhere, I'm afraid.
I've just made my circle...and excluded the rest.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Cool How 'bout it Officer?

Quote:
Oh by the way my screen name has nothing to do with diamonds. I worked at a state prison all male inmates, the inmates called my officer Ice and the C.O.s called me icelady.
Oh, and that's cool, too. Officer Ice.
(Ya probably have to be!)

Old 08-09-2007, 08:33 PM

Talking Party City

Hey guys that sounds great! We can have a hugh Passover party and a Hugh Christmas party!!! Mo. here I come Icelady in your town watch out By the way I had to leave the prison a while back do regret it. I did like to kick butt!! But I do work at a sheriffs dept. Non sworn not a deputy. I do work with them as a crash investitgtor. I ride around all day waiting for cars to crash into each other or building or someone. But being a correctional officer is still in my blood. So, will my family have a problem being jewish in the Ozarks. As you can tell I am not a *** Jewish American princess But we are proud to be jews.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,778 times
Kind of surprised to see this thread resurface. I don't post much anymore, but do read most of the chit chat here. Sorry to hear about the hard time someone else is having here. Not too much has changed in my little Spfld saga. Do work at the "other" hospital, and do like my job better, but still find it hard to connect with my coworkers. As anywhere, some are more open and friendly than others, that's not a Spfd exclusive. Our adult son has already decided to go back to Sarasota. He has had the same type of encounters as hubby and I as far as the indifference that we feel from some of the folks here. It's like they don't even look at you or see you when you pass. I can smile and say hello or nod to a stranger on the street, and most of the time I am ignored. The daughter will leave also, but is staying a few years longer to build her career resume a bit, as she does have a good job in her field here. But she is 28. and misses the excitement and 24/7 atmosphere she had in Orlando. But not the city of Orlando. Although thanks to the great flights Allegiant airline has here, she plans to go back for the Universal fright night stuff for halloween. Lots and lots of friends there. In fact, we have never had to pay to go to Disney because of all her friends and their free passes.

Anyway....I started this thread as a kind of a B side to the record. Doesn't get the play time the A side gets. But it's there just the same. Thanks for listening once again.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:39 AM

Smile Glad to here from you Sunshine!!!!!

Hi Sunshine,
Im glad you wrote. I am not sure if I want to move to Mo. If I do move it would be in the Ozarks area. I have no choice about moving. It is getting bad here in South Fl. Law Enforcement Agencies are starting to lay off people and we might not get our raises. I am being forced out since I won't be able to make ends meet. I am thinking about Ozarks because some of my ex husbands family lives there and I am still friendly with them. Plus they love having my son come see them in the summertime. Also my ex husband is moving there. So I thought what the heck. I am so sorry you are having a problem. You seem to be a very nice person. Please hang in there. Keep on smiling girlfriend eventually someone will smile back and say hi

Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Took a poll...

Quote:
Hey guys that sounds great! We can have a hugh Passover party and a Hugh Christmas party!!! Mo. here I come Icelady in your town watch out By the way I had to leave the prison a while back do regret it. I did like to kick butt!! But I do work at a sheriffs dept. Non sworn not a deputy. I do work with them as a crash investitgtor. I ride around all day waiting for cars to crash into each other or building or someone. But being a correctional officer is still in my blood. So, will my family have a problem being jewish in the Ozarks. As you can tell I am not a *** Jewish American princess But we are proud to be jews.
OK...I just asked a second opinion from the co-workers. One had a client moving from the NW to Reeds Spring and was all freaked out about whether she would be accepted since she was (sinister music) Jewish.
She's been here several years and is FINE.
I think the anticipated problems are bigger than any actual problems.

I know lots of Jewish folk around...one of my friends is dating a Jewish man...nobody thinks much about it.

The Stone/Taney Co area is such a melting pot. Ever since they built this lake, folks have been retiring here...my friends come from all corners of the US.
Can't imagine a problem.
Shall we schedule those parties now?

Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up Ready to visit

Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The anticipation is a problem. So I need to figure out a time this year to visit mo. Please i need to start some tiny improverments on my house to put it on the dreaded market here. Hopefully it will be sold by the summertime of 2008.
Take care.
Ice

Old 08-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Wink Time Flies...see you soon.

Quote:
Thank you. You are absolutely correct. The anticipation is a problem. So I need to figure out a time this year to visit mo. Please i need to start some tiny improverments on my house to put it on the dreaded market here. Hopefully it will be sold by the summertime of 2008.
Take care.
Ice
I'd say come in October...we should have some wonderful fall colors because of all the rain earlier in the year...unless the warm March/freezing April affects it in some way...lots of trees really struggled to get leaves at all! (But I digress!)
October is generally wonderful weather, although you know that's the only thing you CAN'T count on in Missouri!
And we can plan our October meet 'n greet for when you'll be here!
(I mentioned ya to the gals today...)
We need more butt-kickin-law-enforcin-tell-em like it is ladies 'round here...

Old 08-10-2007, 03:30 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Cool Making friends...

Well, after our coffee shop club was formed (AKA Newcomers Club) with our first meeting today, I started reading some of the other threads and came across this one. Very interesting how we all experience different things as we move thru our lives. Now my observations come from a position of aging and moving around the country.

When I was young my friends came from long time associations. Then I moved to "the city" and most friendships developed, over time, because of being neighbors or having things in common with kids.

Then we moved to a little development about 30 miles outside St. Louis where, after 6 months, we were convinced that the area/town was snobbish, clickish, and generally closed to newbies. So...we decided we were going to give the place one more try or move. We threw a big Open House on a Saturday afternoon and invited about 50 people thinking we would be happy if 8-10 showed up and we got to now 2-3. 48 people showed up, we became good friends with 10-12 of them, are still friends with 4 of them even though we haven't lived in the same area for 25 years.

Then we retired and moved to Las Vega where making friends became MUCH more difficult. We no longer had things in common...no kids, no jobs, etc. I joined a few exercise groups and the topic of conversation was how difficult it was to make friends, meet people, and form close bonds. Everyone was "friendly" but not "friends". Everyone was looking to go somewhere else to find that place that they could feel connected with like they did when they were younger. I am convinced that this is caused by people being much more busy than they used to be and by moving around as we age...makes making new friends more difficult and requires more initiative.

Now we have moved here to the Branson/Springfield area and we decided we had to take matters into our own hands. We live where we have no neighbors to speak of (it's a new area) and we don't have jobs, kids, or social outlets for meeting people.

So to that end, if your looking for some SOCIAL contact a new "club" is forming (we're not looking for husbands, wifes, housekeepers, intimate contact, etc)...we're just looking to connect with folks (all ages, sizes, types, etc..) in the Branson, Springfield, Ozark, Sparta, areas and beyond that would like to meet some other locals, have an occasional lunch, dinner, show, or just a good old coffee klatch on a monthly basis...please join us. Initial discussion was on the Ladies:Newcomers Club thread, and a new thread..The "Over the Fence Coffee Club" is being created today so you can meet your neighbors and, hopefully, have a more positive experience in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area