Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,266 times

Advertisements

I am from a small town in Oregon, about 9000 people. It is 10 miles away from a town of about 25000-35000 people, so that is where you have to do all of your shopping. Our climate is mild, I guess, during the summer months it is usually 80's-90's and winter it is 30's-40's. With the exception of the last few years, it has been at least 110 for about a week in August and has been snowing a few inches during the winter. Not all winter long just one or two times then it melts away. So I have been reading many posts about St. George and the outlying areas because I am tired of living in an area where there is nothing to do unless you drive at least 75-100 miles away. I am also tired of the cold and rainy weather. I have read many posts about St. George and the outlying areas and would like to know how much does it snow in the winter there? Is it usually cold and rainy for long periods of time? It looks to me like it isn't but then I read a post that said it snows every year. I was wondering if that meant all winter long? Does it rain a lot?

I really want to move somewhere where it is warm at least most of the time. I love being able to be outdoors. The landscape in Utah is very different from Oregon. I am excited about that.

We have two daughters, right now they are 10 and 4. I would like to be able to move within 3 years. We need to save money and etc... I have lots of questions. I hope I don't annoy anybody with redundancy. I was wondering if the cost of living is lower there because it looks like the average income is around$9-$12 an hour? I am used to making almost twice that, so is my husband and we just have average jobs. So like here, the cost of a gallon of milk is say $4.00 and chicken breast is like $2-$3 a pound. Is that an average there also? Do you have sales tax? Is there anything you guys think someone should know before moving to Utah?

Any information would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 08:06 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
[quote=staggs;8124008]I am from a small town in Oregon, about 9000 people. It is 10 miles away from a town of about 25000-35000 people, so that is where you have to do all of your shopping. Our climate is mild, I guess, during the summer months it is usually 80's-90's and winter it is 30's-40's. With the exception of the last few years, it has been at least 110 for about a week in August and has been snowing a few inches during the winter. Not all winter long just one or two times then it melts away. So I have been reading many posts about St. George and the outlying areas because I am tired of living in an area where there is nothing to do unless you drive at least 75-100 miles away. I am also tired of the cold and rainy weather. I have read many posts about St. George and the outlying areas and would like to know how much does it snow in the winter there? Is it usually cold and rainy for long periods of time? It looks to me like it isn't but then I read a post that said it snows every year. I was wondering if that meant all winter long? Does it rain a lot?

It snows a little in St. George during the winter months. However, its about 2500 feet elevation and the most southern point in Utah. As a result winters tend to be quite mild. Golfing often occurs during all twelve months of the year. There is comparatively little rain. Utah is a desert in terms of rainfall. By March, day tempatures are usually in the 60 to 70 degree range. Its a much drier state than Oregon is. Bring plenty of lip balm and suntan lotion!

I really want to move somewhere where it is warm at least most of the time. I love being able to be outdoors. The landscape in Utah is very different from Oregon. I am excited about that.

We have two daughters, right now they are 10 and 4. I would like to be able to move within 3 years. We need to save money and etc... I have lots of questions. I hope I don't annoy anybody with redundancy. I was wondering if the cost of living is lower there because it looks like the average income is around$9-$12 an hour?

Wages are comparatively low in St. George and in most of Utah. Much of St. George is made up of retired people who earned their money elsewhere and came here to relax and recreate. Housing is expensive in St. George and that's even with a recession. You have to compete with lots of out-of-state retirees who have driven prices up. Price housing carefully and have a job before coming here.

I am used to making almost twice that, so is my husband and we just have average jobs. So like here, the cost of a gallon of milk is say $4.00 and chicken breast is like $2-$3 a pound. Is that an average there also? Do you have sales tax? Is there anything you guys think someone should know before moving to Utah?

Milk is much cheaper than that. Right now around $2 a gallon. Gasoline is just under $2 a gallon. The chicken breast price seems about right. I believe sales tax has been reduced to about 3-4%.

This is controversial and others will disagree. I don't particularly recommend the St. George area to non-LDS families with young kids. Its not that you will encounter intentional discrimination. You will encounter a culture where your LDS neighbors have a social life primarily within their church and extended families. They will have little time left over to befriend your kids or do much with them. Once you communicate you aren't in the church and don't want to join many of your neighbors may lose interest in you. This is a generalization and I am sure there are exceptions to it. However, understand it can be a real problem. St. George is a place for people who enjoy scenic vistas and good weather. Its not a place for people looking for a big night life with partying and a bar scene.

Any information would be nice.

Ask away if you have any more questions. Glad to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George