Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:48 PM

107 posts, read 326,703 times

Advertisements

Mesquite is only 30 miles away and that's where you go if you want to hit the liquor store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:47 AM

24 posts, read 77,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I have read that there are only 2 liquor stores in St. George and that this is in keeping with LDS preferences for not drinking. Does this create a social gap or problem for those who do enjoy a fine bottle of wine or a good cold beer?

.................................................. .................................................. ....

I am LDS although in my younger years I drank, so I see both sides of this.

I'll start by saying that whenever someone who plans on moving to Utah brings up the need for alcohol, a nightlife, or asks how many establishments there are that serve liquor in a community I immediately wonder if Utah is there best choice as a place to move. Almost everyone knows that Utah was founded by the Mormons and that Mormons have religious tenets against alcohol use. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise that in a state where 70% of the population is LDS that liquor is more restricted and harder to get than elsewhere.

Even so, liquor is obtainable virtually everywhere in the state on some terms. There is a state run liquor store in every city of any significant size. There are stores in Panguitch, Kanab, St. George, Cedar City, Moab, Price, and a bunch of small places I can't even think of. Every grocery store can sell 3.2 beer and every grocery store I'm aware gets a beer license from the local city council and does so.

The bottomline to our liquor laws can be summarized like this:

1. We believe that adults have the right of reasonable access to liquor and alcoholic beverages.

2. We believe that the more prevalent alcohol is in society that the more likely we are to see increased drunk driving, as well as the fatalities and injuries that go along with it.

3. We believe that the safest and best place for someone to consume alcohol is not in a bar and certainly not in an automobile. The safest place for such consumption is in someone's own home. That's why when you go to a liquor store nothing is refrigerated. You take you liquor to your home, refrigerate it, and drink it there.

4. We don't have a problem with someone having a drink with a meal. Many restaurants have a liquor license. The only thing they insist on is that you order food as well as liquor because the idea is that the drink is secondary to the meal. The restaurant is not simply a bar with a different name stuck on it.

These attitudes are not shared by many around the country. We realize this. We welcome diversity in Utah and try to accommodate everyone including those who drink. At the same time there are public safety issues involved with alcohol. We are proud of the fact that we have the lowest rate of drunk drivers, and deaths related to drunken driving of any of the fifty states. Our laws are unlikely to change much. Those who are thinking of moving here must realize that.
Thanks for putting everything into perspective for me...makes sense...and makes me want to move to this beautiful state even more now. What a great place to raise my kids with good family values and good examples for them.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM

26 posts, read 86,678 times
Exactly with Vegas so close, I am not sure what is there to complain about. Go Vegas every two weeks - and waste yourself for couple of days. Come back and have regular normal life like Jackal and Hyde.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,703 times
Can someone help me here, So, I if go in the restaurant and sit in the regular table and ask the waitress, or waiter to bring me a beer it won't happen?, except under the circumstances that I need to order a meal, or appetizer first?. But if I choose to sit by the bar I can get, or order alcohol without ordering meal?
I need answer, or better yet, I just might want to find that out my self.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 7,703 times
That's what we been doing, you get the real deal.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 26,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane3340 View Post
Can someone help me here, So, I if go in the restaurant and sit in the regular table and ask the waitress, or waiter to bring me a beer it won't happen?, except under the circumstances that I need to order a meal, or appetizer first?. But if I choose to sit by the bar I can get, or order alcohol without ordering meal?
I need answer, or better yet, I just might want to find that out my self.
Went to Players Sports Bar last night. It was close to the hotel. My brother and I ordered drinks and the waitress asked us what food we want to order in a voice that made it sound like we had to buy food. Never looked into the law about it.

She said there is only one bar in St George, it has pool tables.

Never had any problems ordering drinks and getting weird stares by locals. We ate out all four days.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 20,259 times
This link has your answers, I think:

Alcohol Enforcement

Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 AM

148 posts, read 459,542 times
The system here sucks. If I am definitely planning to have a drink, I want it in my hand before I even open the menu, and then I want plenty of time to enjoy the menu before I order. That's not even accounting for the long lunch I have in mind, with a friend, when it's still a few minutes before noon. May as well wait in the car. If I'd known all this, plus the Utah income tax vs. Nevada's none, I would have looked around Mesquite more before buying in SG for the shopping. At the time, I had family in cold, windy Cedar. Should have stayed in California, where the fresh fruits, vegetables and liquor aisles in grocery stores are. By the way, I am an extremely light very occasional drinker. It's an attitude and control thing. The words "choice", "freedom" and "euphemism" come to mind.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 PM

26 posts, read 86,678 times
I have seen that such idiotic laws and attitude make drinking more fun and exciting. I come from a place which is dry by law, and that made local people appreciate drinks more. If the waitress has attitude problem then I say don't tip. Write a note on the receipt that says "ask for drinks order before asking food order", I bet she will change if she want to stay in that business.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
The system here sucks. If I am definitely planning to have a drink, I want it in my hand before I even open the menu, and then I want plenty of time to enjoy the menu before I order. That's not even accounting for the long lunch I have in mind, with a friend, when it's still a few minutes before noon. May as well wait in the car. If I'd known all this, plus the Utah income tax vs. Nevada's none, I would have looked around Mesquite more before buying in SG for the shopping. At the time, I had family in cold, windy Cedar. Should have stayed in California, where the fresh fruits, vegetables and liquor aisles in grocery stores are. By the way, I am an extremely light very occasional drinker. It's an attitude and control thing. The words "choice", "freedom" and "euphemism" come to mind.
If being able to have a drink at a restaurant before you order any food to you is that critical than perhaps there are other states than Utah that would be more to your liking. You seem not to understand that the sale and consumption of alcohol has public safety implications that affect everyone.

I used to drink myself, but even than I could not understand the enormous amount of energy that some people spend on criticizing this state's liquor laws. So what if there are only a few bars? So what if you have to buy food with a drink? There's a simple answer for all of you. Go to a state run liquor store and buy your liquor there. Take it home and stock a liquor cabinet. Want to drink with your friends or others? Than invite them over.

We don't look at the liquor laws here as being about "choice" and "freedom". We have strict liquor laws here to keep down the number of DUIs and other alcohol related crimes. And you know something? It seems to work. Utah has the lowest rate of DUI out of fifty states.

We have actually made changes in our liquor laws that work in favor of drinkers in the last ten years. We used to require people to pay for liquor in cash at state run stores. Now, you can use a check or a credit card.

Most importantly, we've eliminated the rule that only private clubs can serve hard liquor. Now, if you bring your i.d. with you, you can be served at what were formerly private clubs and not have to pay for a membership.

Even so, the liquor laws here are always going to be more restrictive than in other states. Its what you get when you choose to settle in a state that was founded by a religion that proscribes the use of alcohol for its members. That shouldn't shock anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George