Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
Great blog post, Carrie. For further reading check out the article the Riverfront Times did on it a few years ago:

Brave New Town - Page 1 - News - St. Louis - Riverfront Times

This quote from the above article...

...sums up my feelings on it.
I'd go a step further. Obviously the pro-city folks are going to be all over this, but we have plenty of old-fashioned, walkable neighborhoods with stores and shops in the older suburbs around St. Louis, such as Kirkwood, Webster, Glendale, Maplewood, etc.

I guess New Town is designed for people that want that but also want brand new houses.

My kids play soccer out that way and it really is pretty far out and isolated, IMHO. But hey, if it works for them, then great. But it seems very contrived to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
Google westhaven franklin tn for the nashville version of newtown. I think you will find westhaven is way better than newtown. I have visited and it just blows me away....with the quality they offer versus newtown. The picture on the website homepage is the what the entire development looks like. I think newtown in st charles is depressing with typical st louis mediocre construction. I know someone will attack me for my last comment, but it is true.
So you have been to New Town and the quality is that bad? (Just curious)

From my 1min look at the website WestHaven looks nice. I didn't see any vynil.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:34 PM

102 posts, read 708,532 times
Yes I visited newtown and viewed their model homes. Not good. Would rather live in the city.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momule View Post
Yes I visited newtown and viewed their model homes. Not good. Would rather live in the city.
Kinda reminded me of Stepford, as in the movie.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,116 times
It wasn't built to attract those drawn to hoods like Lafayette Square. New Town specifically targets Buyers who enjoy and SEEK the insulated aspects of the community. In addition, yes... they are a crowd that may ENJOY older-looking aesthetic... but they want new houses. These buyers shop at Restoration Hardware for repros.... not on Cherokee. Period. Theywant and expect walk-in closets, sunken tubs, and double sinks for less than 300K. You can find it all in New Town. Too contrived per say for me, but compared to the hundreds of OTHER new construction developments in St. Charles... far more appealing, in my opinion.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,861 times
Default the African-American People there might disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inahandbasket View Post
It's a poor attempt at imitating a dense urban lifestyle with all white people.

inahandbasket
I have been there on many occations and have spoken to the African American families that have bought homes there. It is mostly white, but there is a good racial mix.
Maybe you should come out for Jazz Night to see what the racial makeup is. Sounds a little racist to me.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:21 AM

I think the greatest appeal is the scenery. Can you live in the city and be surrounded by lakes and canals? Can you jog or walk around in the city after dark and not have to worry about being mugged? I don't think so. The town is full of little pocket parks for the residents to enjoy. Even local residents drive there to fish, picnic or just get away.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 AM

Default Is it really isolated?

Being from St. Charles, I hear that alot about us. St. Charles suburban area sprang up because WE ARE close enough to the city of St. Louis and near the other big employers in North and West County. We have a Boing Factory acually in St.Charles, but the main plant is only 20 minutes away. Also, Earth City is only about 10 minutes away. Mid River Mall is minutes away. I think the folks there don't feel isolated. Also, if you are there around Sunset, they are to die for!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Is it really built on a floodplain?

This Kshe girl really must hate this New Town place. Why? But then I hear that some of the locals hated this development going in. I for one am glad they are here. We are all invited in to fish or just enjoy these lakes that they have. And all those parks! Great to go there after work and just walk around, of take your bike there and ride around. No hills, no muscle strains.
I drove out there in 2008 I think it was. There was major flooding upstream on the Mississippi. This was being called the 100 year flood. I was sure that New Town was underwater. Not a drop! The roads to it weren't even flooded. I was astonished . I decided to find out why. Since then I have seen satillite photos of New Town. The whole area is surrounded by earthen dikes to protect it. Also the whole town is built up what looks like a good 20 feet higher than the surrounding farmland. I think anyone that doubts this should drive out there. I think those folks are safe from any flooding.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Did you really have to bump this thread? There already was a New Town thread on the first page with a lot more recent comments about it.

And not to turn this into a St. Charles versus city thread but yes I can jog at night and not worry about being mugged in the city. We also have lakes, a ton of great parks, the areas best restaurants, and probably 95% of the attractions that people come to the St. Louis area for. I'm sure New Town is a nice place and it certainly looks nice, but I personally do not find it as attractive as a tree lined street with beautiful 100 year old brick homes in the city. That's my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis