Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times

Advertisements

According to Advocate.com, STL is the 10th gayest city in the Country, Gayest Cities in America | Travel | The Advocate.

Love this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM

327 posts, read 968,698 times
Thanks for posting! Now, we just need to get some gay friendly (and humane) legislation going in Missouri.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:59 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
We're gayer than San Fran? What exactly was their methodology? Glad to see this either way. Thanks for posting!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
That's fabulous

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Read the comments within that article, plus digging a bit into the methodology of this "study"...

Old 01-29-2011, 11:52 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
I dunno I think the aspirations would be good if it was to be the most 'gay-friendly' city or something.

Most gay tho? Eh... should other cities then strive to be most straight? religious? black? white? transexual? bald? conservative?

I dunno, I think it's more important for a city to be accepting over all. Which if STL has a lot of gays, it's probably pretty accepting? I dunno, there are cities with a lot of black people that aren't accepting of blacks so who knows.

Missouri as a whole is not a real gay-friendly state.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-29-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Yes. St Louis is an extremely gay friendly city. The Pride festival is the largest in the midwest outside of Chicago. St Louis city was one of the first three cities to recognize gay partners. A friend of mine from Chicago said that the gay night life is actually better here. That is just his opinion, but he did live in boystown for several years.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-29-2011 at 07:08 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM

55 posts, read 291,428 times
Smile Gay friendly is good for business ..

I think this is a great thing! It shows that St Louis is welcoming and diverse. It's also good for business as GLBT folks who are looking to relocate ( like myself..) will end up moving here and spending money, growing neighborhoods and increasing the value of real estate.

What I like about St Louis compared to a big get city like Chicago is that it's just the right sized city, not too big, not too small.. There's also amazing architecture, great food, and it's it's almost smack dab in the middle of the country..

Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Gays also are the best neighborhood pioneers. They were a huge factor in Soulards turnaround and are doing the same thing for the grove and south grand. As for being "friendly" to all sorts of groups I agree with that but since gays are still openly discriminated against I think being a city that is accepting to gays means we're a city accepting to all. At least that's what we should strive for.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
From some personal experience, acceptance of homosexuals seems to be partially generational. This is only personal experience, and I've got several "younger i.e. 20-30 y.o." friends who would seem either intimidated or "put off" by a person being gay. Past that, it appears that people of my parents age (60ish) seem to view homosexuality as something to be ashamed of, and if not ashamed of a "freak of nature" mentality...this seems to run from parents, to friends of parents, to co workers, etc....

I never seemed to have that feeling, just seemed like someone Else's preference and given my stance on individuality a person can do whatever they want. I'm sure whenever Missouri gets around to attempting to legalize gay marriage the folks from the middle of the state will throw a fit, and we'll hear that the cities are ramming their progression down the throats of conservatives. But all in all, i think some change does NEED to happen, all for the sake of equality.

As for being a "gay" city, i don't know if that's necessarily a good thing or not. If we were labeled as a tolerant city, one who would accept people of all backgrounds, religions, creeds, sexuality, etc...then I say that'd be nice...but being labeled as a "gay" city, just seems...eh, odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis