Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been inside this apartment building/seen a unit at the Park Lane Apartments? I'm specifically interested in the SA model studio unit
http://www.apartments.com/rent/St-Lo...1332.1?prvpg=7

I am going to be graduating from the University of Connecticut this coming May and know I will be moving to St. Louis for work right after (I spent a year there on a student exchange program and working during the summer, and fell in love with the city), but will probably have to rent an apartment through phone calls and form/application faxing because I won't be able to fly out to see the unit before I actually move across the country. I have been doing a lot of research on apartment buildings in the Central West End because that's the area I'd primarily like to live in, most likely in a small studio unit with a monthly rent budget around $500-575. Any advice/tips on what I can do to get the best outcome possible would be appreciated, since I realize that not being able to do a walk through or visit the unit before moving in can be a definite disadvantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,670,486 times
I haven't been in that place, so I'm not sure of how much help I can be, but that's certainly a great area. Maybe you could get a six-month lease so that if you don't like it, you won't have as long to stay?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,695,438 times
I'd be nervous, especially at your price point in the CWE. Getting a shorter term lease typically increases the monthly payment. Do you have any friends still in the STL area that could take a look for you?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:33 AM

An ex boyfriend, but that's not really someone I'd go to for this kind of help right now...but I am nervous, just because the chances of a place ending up being an old sketchy dump can be high at my budget, like you said. And I didn't know that, if I do the six month/short term lease the cost may go higher than the posted $550??

Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 AM

A lot of places charge a premium for a short term lease. I think my old place increased the monthly payment by like $100 when I wanted to extend my lease for just 3 more months. The central west end is probably the priciest area, outside of the downtown loft district. Frankly, most recent grads I know with that kind of budget get a roomate and live someplace nicer.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:21 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,754,383 times
Check out the Hawthorne on West Pine. Studios go for $650, which is a bit above your price range, but the building is nice and in a great location.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,840,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
A lot of places charge a premium for a short term lease. I think my old place increased the monthly payment by like $100 when I wanted to extend my lease for just 3 more months. The central west end is probably the priciest area, outside of the downtown loft district. Frankly, most recent grads I know with that kind of budget get a roomate and live someplace nicer.
Billiken is right. I took a one year lease on a studio and am currently paying $615 a month. Then there's parking: that's running me an extra $60.

Had I taken a six month lease, my studio would have gone up to $675 from $615.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Well I plan on buying a bike and using public transportation at least for a while (what I used the entire time while I was in StL), so car costs aren't really on my mind, but 615 to 675 is a lot... the only thing is I definitely want to live in the CWE, I've been to the loop and U-city areas which I like too, but I know I want to be in the CWE. And I'm not looking to find a room-mate that I can't meet till then or anything on top of finding an apartment that I already can't visit...so basically I guess my options will be limited. I've emailed to ask a bit, and plan on calling the leasing office for Park Lane for more information.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:55 PM

210 posts, read 413,079 times
I just moved to STL about 4 months ago. I looked exclusively online for places around Forest Park (mostly west side and northeast corner) including CWE. From my search, typical asking rent is about a dollar per sqft. For whatever reason the condition of the place -- recently renovated or old as crap -- is a minor contributing factor compared to the square footage in regards to asking rent. With that in mind and limited pictures of places online, I targeted places with newer kitchen appliances -- especially the stove (non-coil tops) as an indication of the condition for the rest of the apartment (crappy apartments can be easily "staged").

I understand you said that you "definitely want to live in the CWE" and if you want to be within the "official" borders of CWE, then ignore my next suggestion... but consider DeBaliviere Place (DeBaliviere Place Apartments for Rent and DeBaliviere Place Saint Louis Apartment Rentals - Zillow). There's a few apt/condos within your budget. Many places there advertise it as CWE. I have friends that live there that tell me they live in CWE. I live there and I tell people I live in CWE. Although I know I don't technically live in CWE -- it just convey the "general area" in which I live. It's close enough to have all the benefits of CWE without being in the middle of it ALL the time.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
I understand you said that you "definitely want to live in the CWE" and if you want to be within the "official" borders of CWE, then ignore my next suggestion... but consider DeBaliviere Place.
Agreed. My best friend lived here for two years, it's a very good value at that price point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis